Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford wasnt going to start for UGA. Dont make stuff up. He was 4th string last year and 2 guys ahead of him return. He also wasnt a 5* on any recruiting service. 4* everywhere.

Yes, he's talented, and I'm guessing he'll be pretty good here. But Dorsey had a great freshman year (with atrocious QB play) and will be in the NFL if he gets his head on straight.

So If Ford outproduces Dorsey, that'd be awesome
Thank you. This is exactly what I was thinking, not one service rated him as a 5 star, and the phrasing of “5 star receiver” is even more misleading because as BRucks stated, our program primarily views TE’s as an extra blocker. This is why that post was sugarcoated, 4 star TE is not the same as 5 star WR at Illinois especially. JT was only 4 star as well, but you can’t tell me his impact wouldn’t have been twice as crucial as LF if he stayed on board...

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Not sure if others have noticed this, but every time I check 247 after Werner announces a new 2020 offer, I'm noticing that Iowa State has already offered them. Guessing Illinois will be butting heads with them for the foreseeable future.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was thinking, not one service rated him as a 5 star, and the phrasing of “5 star receiver” is even more misleading because as BRucks stated, our program primarily views TE’s as an extra blocker. This is why that post was sugarcoated, 4 star TE is not the same as 5 star WR at Illinois especially. JT was only 4 star as well, but you can’t tell me his impact wouldn’t have been twice as crucial as LF if he stayed on board...
I feel rod smith is creative and open minded, therefore will put Luke in good situations. Appears Luke was a plus blocker as true freshman. Wr were plus blockers last year. I believe Luke will be moved around on line....split end, 3rd wr, hback, te, motion (Don’t know terms, reaching back to madden days) and could be a matchup nightmare; put a lb on him go pass/run or dB go run. Wr having safety attention would open up his receiving lanes. Narrative is that Luke won’t catch passes, but hope to see utilized in multiple sets/positions therefore not rely on standard te production in this offense.

I feel rod smith is creative and open minded, therefore will put Luke in good situations. Appears Luke was a plus blocker as true freshman. Wr were plus blockers last year. I believe Luke will be moved around on line....split end, 3rd wr, hback, te, motion (Don’t know terms, reaching back to madden days) and could be a matchup nightmare; put a lb on him go pass/run or dB go run. Wr having safety attention would open up his receiving lanes. Narrative is that Luke won’t catch passes, but hope to see utilized in multiple sets/positions therefore not rely on standard te production in this offense.
I am 100% rooting for him. He’s an elite talent and a great kid, has a future in the NFL. I’m praying this staff utilized him in the pass catching game and to his full abilities! Go Illini

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Ford should be a wrecking machine. Agree that Smith will utilize him effectively.

Nebraska is going to be the preseason favorite in the West. Year 2 of Frost/Martinez with a great recruiting class coming in and a lot of guys returning.

If we can beat them, we can contend for the division.

Big if though obviously.

I’m not thinking it’s likely we beat Nebraska. But I’m not against it.

Deleted member 654622

D
Ford is undoubtedly the better athlete and pro prospect. That said, Dorsey put up the best receiving numbers for an Illinois TE since....2013 Lacosse? 2011 Davis? 2008 Cumberland? Each of these seasons were on par with Dorsey's freshman year, so you probably have to go back to '94 Dilger to find a no doubt season better than Dorsey. Plus Dorsey's numbers are from his freshman season! To find a better freshman season.....maybe ever? '91 Dilger might be the only one in the ballpark. Really stinks it didn't work out for Dorsey at Illinois.

Here's to hoping Ford blows all of those numbers out of the park. Just more about the context that 25 catches from Ford would give him the best TE season at Illinois in 25 years.
I am sorry, yes everything you say here is true, but can we stop talking like the dude had some monster season please. 22 catches.....22! Under 400 yards and 3 TDs. Come on. To act like anybody, let alone a 5 star player cannot beat that is a little ridiculous to me. Good for him, good season. Just because IL has been TURABLE at the TE position doesn't mean we should temper realistic outlooks on Ford. Just my opinion

FYI TJ Hockenson Iowa is the first name that came to mind. Freshman year 24 catches 320yrds and 3TDs...pretty similar. SO year 49 rec 760yrds 6 TDs.

Deleted member 654622

D
Ford wasnt going to start for UGA. Dont make stuff up. He was 4th string last year and 2 guys ahead of him return. He also wasnt a 5* on any recruiting service. 4* everywhere.

Yes, he's talented, and I'm guessing he'll be pretty good here. But Dorsey had a great freshman year (with atrocious QB play) and will be in the NFL if he gets his head on straight.

So If Ford outproduces Dorsey, that'd be awesome
Sorry bro, but everything that was reported was that Ford was going to start for Georgia next year. That is why they tried so hard to keep him and more than likely he will not get the transfer waiver due to Georgia not giving it their OK.

I am sorry, yes everything you say here is true, but can we stop talking like the dude had some monster season please. 22 catches.....22! Under 400 yards and 3 TDs. Come on. To act like anybody, let alone a 5 star player cannot beat that is a little ridiculous to me. Good for him, good season. Just because IL has been TURABLE at the TE position doesn't mean we should temper realistic outlooks on Ford. Just my opinion

FYI TJ Hockenson Iowa is the first name that came to mind. Freshman year 24 catches 320yrds and 3TDs...pretty similar. SO year 49 rec 760yrds 6 TDs.
This is a good point and you are right I undershot Ford expectations. But then you make a separate point saying the talk on Dorsey was too high, then give an example of a similar player freshman year who then had a relative monster sophomore year? Who’s to say he couldn’t have had those numbers with last year’s receiving core if he had his head on straight?

Deleted member 654622

D
This is a good point and you are right I undershot Ford expectations. But then you make a separate point saying the talk on Dorsey was too high, then give an example of a similar player freshman year who then had a relative monster sophomore year? Who’s to say he couldn’t have had those numbers with last year’s receiving core if he had his head on straight?
I apologize but I might be misunderstanding your question. I think you are asking for a comparison to his freshman year, then a monster sophomore season. If so, I already answered that at the bottom in my original post. TJ Hockenson
And please do not take my post as a negative for Dorsey. He is a good football player and could have been an asset

I apologize but I might be misunderstanding your question. I think you are asking for a comparison to his freshman year, then a monster sophomore season. If so, I already answered that at the bottom in my original post. TJ Hockenson
And please do not take my post as a negative for Dorsey. He is a good football player and could have been an asset
It just seemed like you were downing the praise on Dorsey’s season because it wasn’t monster, then you gave an example of a similar player who then had a relatively monster sophomore season. Assuming you were drawing conclusion that his sophomore season would’ve been similar, I would take that any day of the week and twice on Saturdays

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

(1) Illinois hasn't utilized the tight end in 25 years
(2) Rod Smith doesn't have a history of using the tight end
(3) 22 catches for a freshman TE is a lot better than you are thinking. The #1 TE at Georgia is expecting to be picked between the 2nd and 4th round this year and had 30 catches in 14 games last year. Plus you mentioned the expected #1 TE draft prospect as having the same number of catches as Dorsey (the caveat being the Illinois OC that created those TE opportunities is now gone).
(4) I disagree with the last sentence, if Illinois has been terrible for tight ends, and the OC doesn't have a history of using tight ends, we should temper expectations for Ford.

Now, with the lack of quality WRs on the roster, and Ford's obvious talent, I'm hoping that Rod gives him reps at TE and WR to maximize his talent. If Illinois brings in that rumored 5th-year QB who shall not be named, then I give Ford's numbers a bump. If Illinois doesn't, or if Illinois only plays him at TE, I'll be ecstatic about 20 catches.

Deleted member 654622

D
It just seemed like you were downing the praise on Dorsey’s season because it wasn’t monster, then you gave an example of a similar player who then had a relatively monster sophomore season. Assuming you were drawing conclusion that his sophomore season would’ve been similar, I would take that any day of the week and twice on Saturdays
Ok I gotcha. No that was not my intention. I think Dorsey could have been an all time TE for us. But I base that off his athleticism, not his freshman year stats. Those stats are not a very high bar

Deleted member 654622

D
(3) 22 catches for a freshman TE is a lot better than you are thinking. The #1 TE at Georgia is expecting to be picked between the 2nd and 4th round this year and had 30 catches in 14 games last year. Plus you mentioned the expected #1 TE draft prospect as having the same number of catches as Dorsey (the caveat being the Illinois OC that created those TE opportunities is now gone).
(4) I disagree with the last sentence, if Illinois has been terrible for tight ends, and the OC doesn't have a history of using tight ends, we should temper expectations for Ford.

Now, with the lack of quality WRs on the roster, and Ford's obvious talent, I'm hoping that Rod gives him reps at TE and WR to maximize his talent. If Illinois brings in that rumored 5th-year QB who shall not be named, then I give Ford's numbers a bump. If Illinois doesn't, or if Illinois only plays him at TE, I'll be ecstatic about 20 catches.
I respect your opinion. I just disagree with using IL/Rod Smith's past at TE to determine how Ford is going to do. Unless there is a player like Ford, surrounded by mediocre talent at WR, in either's history, I don't think it is relevant enough to completely dwarf a talented player.
I am not going to compare Georgia's football team to ours, different world. Georgia is a running football team with talent out the arse. So when they eventually do decide to throw the football, there are a lot more mouths to feed.
Yes TJ and Dorsey had similar numbers, it was to show what might have been for Dorsey. But also that 22 catches for a freshman TE is not unrealistic. The exact same year, another freshman TE put up almost the exact same numbers.

along with your point, I would add that rod smith has had talent surrounding him and his qbs. Given his point on Williams, I think Rod will utilize ford if he is one of the best receivers on our team

I respect your opinion. I just disagree with using IL/Rod Smith's past at TE to determine how Ford is going to do. Unless there is a player like Ford, surrounded by mediocre talent at WR, in either's history, I don't think it is relevant enough to completely dwarf a talented player.
I am not going to compare Georgia's football team to ours, different world. Georgia is a running football team with talent out the arse. So when they eventually do decide to throw the football, there are a lot more mouths to feed.
Yes TJ and Dorsey had similar numbers, it was to show what might have been for Dorsey. But also that 22 catches for a freshman TE is not unrealistic. The exact same year, another freshman TE put up almost the exact same numbers.

To sum up Dorsey, he showed a lot of promise, but didn’t accomplish much because he had one year. To be fair, it’s not clear he would have had a break out sophomore campaign(I only say this because we don’t know. I like to think that it is the case he would have, but he just hasn’t yet). At the time, it was evidence to suggest that what Lovie was doing was working. But add the players we lost, such as Dorsey, Watkins, Williams, and it’s hard to think lads season wouldn’t have been a little different. But, we will Never know

Status
Not open for further replies.