Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious how the 2016 #15 overall recruit becomes the 35th best transfer in 2019 (e.g. Larry Boyd listed as 14th best transfer). Seems a little harsh.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
I'm curious how the 2016 #15 overall recruit becomes the 35th best transfer in 2019 (e.g. Larry Boyd listed as 14th best transfer). Seems a little harsh.

He's recorded 2 tackles in his career and had a hip injury which cost him all of last season.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

He hasn't been very productive at USC.

The rep appears to be that he's a workout warrior (as can be obviously seen) who isn't a very fluid football player. He seems to play a little high and a little stiff, which is not uncommon for Greek God-looking guys.

At USC, they have physical freaks to burn, and the ones who can really play are going to get the PT. We can find a role for a guy who's a straight-line beast, you can never have enough great athletes in the trenches. And immediately eligible with two years to play this is a great, no brainer get. But I would not be looking at this as a five-star player in terms of expectations. A situational, gadget-type player, would be my guess.

Are we in play for two USC WR transfers? Hoping we get K Tate, probavly takes us to 7 wins.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Here's some HS workout and game highlights for the big guy.........

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

The rep appears to be that he's a workout warrior (as can be obviously seen) who isn't a very fluid football player. He seems to play a little high and a little stiff, which is not uncommon for Greek God-looking guys.

At USC, they have physical freaks to burn, and the ones who can really play are going to get the PT. We can find a role for a guy who's a straight-line beast, you can never have enough great athletes in the trenches. And immediately eligible with two years to play this is a great, no brainer get. But I would not be looking at this as a five-star player in terms of expectations. A situational, gadget-type player, would be my guess.

So you got all of this out of a college freshman...and an injury with two games played? Interesting.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
So you got all of this out of a college freshman...and an injury with two games played? Interesting.

Sorry, I should have referenced the video I was watching. This is from high school, I believe his only year of high school football after moving from Nigeria.

FWIW, he played in more games than that, he just only recorded two tackles. 5 games as a freshman and 8 as a sophomore. Not what you're expecting from a recruit like that, but as I said, USC has monsters all over the field.

Last edited:

Deleted member 649710

D
Betiku attended Serra HS in Gardena CA, which is a very solid program. I have no idea how he got there from Lagos. As others have mentioned, his rep at this point is as an incredible physical specimen but questionable football player. USC didn’t do him a favor by switching him from DE to OLB. He’s kind of a tweener: a bit undersized for DE at 6’3” 235, but not fast enough to cover TEs and RBs as a LB. Clark should know what the kid can do, so hopefully he will be put in a position to succeed.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
USC didn’t do him a favor by switching him from DE to OLB.

I would agree with that. He's not a space player.

Our one-gap system should suit him, he can just play downhill. 3rd and short, goal line, situations like that where you just need someone who can disrupt the backfield, this is your guy. A nice contrast with balletic edge rushers like Roundtree and Gay.

Not insinuating that they're comparable players in any way, but this dude is built like Khalil Mack. Absolute unit.

Last edited:

I agree.

This is a very interesting depth piece at this point. It is possible that his inexperience at football, depth at USC, injuries and switch to linebacker stunted his growth and his talent can be pulled out in a new environment. It is more likely that he can provide situational depth like a Gimel President type.

Definitely worth the risk with interesting upside

He was reclassified to a high 3* in the new transfer ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.