Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with that. He's not a space player.

Our one-gap system should suit him, he can just play downhill. 3rd and short, goal line, situations like that where you just need someone who can disrupt the backfield, this is your guy. A nice contrast with balletic edge rushers like Roundtree and Gay.

He reminds of Clay Nurse. A tweener but super straight-line athleticism.

He's recorded 2 tackles in his career and had a hip injury which cost him all of last season.
Yeah, I hear you, but.........perhaps I've underestimated the hip injury effect and lack of playing time against proven D1 talent.

Based on 247 transfer rankings, he was reclassified to a 3*. His initial ranking was potential. He is very raw with limited football experience. I have faith that Lovie and company will do everything they can to give him the tools. He may not have the instincts, because of his lack of playing time, but we are in a good position to give him some experience and learn. USC doesn’t have that luxury. They have too many good players and their fan base is rabid with any loss. This is a good get at a position of need and allows us an opportunity to strengthen our rotation. With our additions up front and the maturity of our dbs. I expect to see an improved product on defense.

If we get Sidney would we you guys be content with the receiving corps? I feel like Smalling, Brisett, Sidney would be a solid starting unit to compete in the BIG, but a lot of that is unknown, and if one goes down I’m hard pressed to find another guy who I could trust to catch passes (Davis has good hands but not very good at separation, Stampley is very shifty but has drop issues, and most everyone else hasn’t had enough playing time to evaluate). If Ford gets a waiver I would feel a lot better about the passing game whether our QB be Rivers, IWill, or Robinson.

If we get Sidney would we you guys be content with the receiving corps? I feel like Smalling, Brisett, Sidney would be a solid starting unit to compete in the BIG, but a lot of that is unknown, and if one goes down I’m hard pressed to find another guy who I could trust to catch passes (Davis has good hands but not very good at separation, Stampley is very shifty but has drop issues, and most everyone else hasn’t had enough playing time to evaluate). If Ford gets a waiver I would feel a lot better about the passing game whether our QB be Rivers, IWill, or Robinson.

I’m not so worried about receivers. We have a decent number in the fold. Plus you have Beason, cumby, Williams, and the other freshmen that will likely see some snaps if needed. Add Navarro, sandy, and carter. there are plenty of people that can catch. Receivers don’t need tons of time in the system, we just had a ton of injuries last year.

The question marks for the upcoming team are: 1. Offensive line. Though we are solid, we lack depth. Any injuries and we will have problems. 2. Linebackers. Same as above. This is problematic because linebackers are key in lovies system. 3. Development. Did our players make the necessary leaps.

I’m not so worried about receivers. We have a decent number in the fold. Plus you have Beason, cumby, Williams, and the other freshmen that will likely see some snaps if needed. Add Navarro, sandy, and carter. there are plenty of people that can catch. Receivers don’t need tons of time in the system, we just had a ton of injuries last year.
I'm worried, WR could use all the help they can get & injuries or not we were awful last year...they seem determined to give Williams a shot at QB & Beason a shot at CB, Carter's knee injury was bad and expectations for him this year should be low, maybe Cumby will come around but he wasn't good enough last year. We are very young at QB and whoever wins the job will need all the help they can get. As mentioned no depth at OL (& we were extremely lucky to get through the season with no injuries), Bushes legs likely helped Corbin shine a little brighter, throw in we have added only a little help at WR and it is easy to imagine we could take a step back on offense this year.

I'm worried, WR could use all the help they can get & injuries or not we were awful last year...they seem determined to give Williams a shot at QB & Beason a shot at CB, Carter's knee injury was bad and expectations for him this year should be low, maybe Cumby will come around but he wasn't good enough last year. We are very young at QB and whoever wins the job will need all the help they can get. As mentioned no depth at OL (& we were extremely lucky to get through the season with no injuries), Bushes legs likely helped Corbin shine a little brighter, throw in we have added only a little help at WR and it is easy to imagine we could take a step back on offense this year.
Cumby was in high school last year

All I can say is I told you so.. although it was a day later than what I was told...
#2isbetterthanone
Meaning 2 players 2 years better than one..
I bet the teams in the big 10 are seeing this and wondering what is going on in LITTYVILLE..
dont worry we will show you very soon what is going on here....
#relevance

Deleted member 649710

D
Could not be more timely and necessary. Welcome!

P.S. If this Tate thing ever actually happens, and Ford gets the waiver, I will feel WAY better about the offense.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This is quickly looking like a 6 or more -win team depending on injuries

It's more than injuries. Unless Tate's coming, QB is a huge question mark. The trend is definitely up, but poor QB play could really hurt us. Injuries: have to stay healthy in key spots. Very large difference between the ones and twos in some groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.