Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would put it at less than 1%. I was very hopeful in January, but him playing in their spring game and being "the guy" in their spring practices killed that hope. Why would the coaching staff give him all these reps unless he gave them assurances that he's staying? Imagine we were in Arizona's shoes, wouldn't we be screaming to high heaven if the coaching staff gave all of their QB reps in the spring to a player who might leave?

I'm hoping I'm wrong because all of the reports I've read are about how the Illinois QBs are not ready and Tate would take their 2019 season into a new level.

I am less concerned about Tate playing in Spring, because the decision to leave is his own. However, he is growing a ton in the system (which would be his biggest reason to leave). He starting to see the growth, learn how to read defenses in the way that Sumlin teaches and improve. They are starting to give him the green light to scramble at make plays when he sees fit. These are all reasons I think he will stay.

Kind of agree except if he has a bad game early, they will not hesitate to pull him and put in someone else. If they play good, it could be all over for him... Really, his safe bet, is at Illinois.

Kind of agree except if he has a bad game early, they will not hesitate to pull him and put in someone else. If they play good, it could be all over for him... Really, his safe bet, is at Illinois.
From what I read, the Freshmen are not close to ready yet. There is a long time until the Fall.

can someone explain to me how these two guys from USC can be redshirt sophomores, so that they have two years elgibility remaining, but yet have managed to get through the curriculum to graduate in 3 years ? yea, I know they can take up to 6 hours in summer school (6 hours * 3 = 18) , but that still leaves them about 12 hours short IF they took the full 15 hours of class in every semester , and most only take 12 in the fall due to football anyway? how do we get these guys to have two years left to play ?

Betiku enrolled early at USC, so that is an entire extra semester. I'm not sure where you are getting the 6 hour limit for summer school; I don't see that on USC's website.

He knows he will start at Illinois, but there is risk in coming in late with a new team and receivers around you as well, a system that you may have run, but it has been a bit. Either way there are risks for him.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
only got 5 reps in the spring game and was not injury

The limited snaps is something, but he took the first five snaps. He's their starter. There's a bunch of puff pieces out there from UA media about his performance (80+ yard bomb and looking good in spring practice). They played the other QBs more because they are all young and need to identify a backup (plus Tate was banged up last year and they want to make sure he's healthy).

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
While I agree that it’s doubtful Tate ends up here, I wouldn’t put much into him playing in the Spring Game.

Even if he does decide to leave at the end of Summer, he probably isn’t telling the coaches that.

He’s 100% all in there, until he isn’t.

But that's the thing, the UA could (SHOULD) have put him to a statement about committing to the team now or not playing in the spring. Sumlin is feeling heat from last year's performance, he doesn't need the rug pulled out from his prized QB leaving right before the season starts. If Tate announced he was transferring in January, it's much easier to focus on getting the true freshman up-and-running and this year being a transitional year. He would want to find out if he's committed to the team or not early in 2019 to decide the best approach for his team.

For those feeling his participation in the spring game means nothing, is there any precedent about a QB that is hands-down the #1 option at their current school, playing in the spring game, and then transferring during the summer? Grad transfer or not (and not an example of a school firing their coach or going through a massive NCAA scandal). I feel as I've seen it where a junior/senior has their starting spot at-risk, find out in the spring game they are not getting the first rep (or put with the first string) and then deciding to transfer, but that does not fit this situation.

But that's the thing, the UA could (SHOULD) have put him to a statement about committing to the team now or not playing in the spring. Sumlin is feeling heat from last year's performance, he doesn't need the rug pulled out from his prized QB leaving right before the season starts. If Tate announced he was transferring in January, it's much easier to focus on getting the true freshman up-and-running and this year being a transitional year. He would want to find out if he's committed to the team or not early in 2019 to decide the best approach for his team.

For those feeling his participation in the spring game means nothing, is there any precedent about a QB that is hands-down the #1 option at their current school, playing in the spring game, and then transferring during the summer? Grad transfer or not (and not an example of a school firing their coach or going through a massive NCAA scandal). I feel as I've seen it where a junior/senior has their starting spot at-risk, find out in the spring game they are not getting the first rep (or put with the first string) and then deciding to transfer, but that does not fit this situation.

It is tough for UA to do that. Because they can't promise him the starting spot all season. They will need to do what they believe is the best for their team and they want to make sure to leave some wiggle room to let one of the youngsters in to the starting role over they earn it.

Looking to buy tickets through the ticket resale sites for football this fall. Is it better to take what I see now, or wait until later, for prices and seats?

Wonder what is going on?

Nothing, which is why it’s trending. Given the other players that got waivers, the narrative looks bad for the NCAA. Justin fields didn’t get the starting job, gets waiver. Tate martell transfers because he couldn’t win the starting job, gets waiver. Luke ford wants to transfer so his dying grandfather can watch him play, still pending.

sinmyp

Back In Robinson!
Freaking NCAA, no consistency At All except for the constant catering to the needs of the Haves

QB Matt Fink of USC wants to transfer, has 2 years left to play.

QB Matt Fink of USC wants to transfer, has 2 years left to play.

Might as well become the Fighting Trojans if we get this kid.

He was listed as a dual threat guy in high school and has some pretty solid tape. Wouldn't hurt to see if he's interested. Not sure if he would be an upgrade at the position though.

As it should. Absolutely ridiculous for something like this to get hung up for so long.
Based on what very little and vague information is out there, it seems like Illinois only submitted the waiver a few weeks ago, which means we're the source of the delay. I love bashing the NCAA as much as the next fan, but I would like to see some clarity on what we have been doing on our end. If it's true that the waiver wasn't submitted until a few weeks ago, there's gotta be something up or more information needed by the athletic department because that makes no sense. Fields and Martel got their waivers over a month ago which means their respective schools put in their waivers much earlier.

Deleted member 29907

D
Based on what very little and vague information is out there, it seems like Illinois only submitted the waiver a few weeks ago, which means we're the source of the delay. I love bashing the NCAA as much as the next fan, but I would like to see some clarity on what we have been doing on our end. If it's true that the waiver wasn't submitted until a few weeks ago, there's gotta be something up or more information needed by the athletic department because that makes no sense. Fields and Martel got their waivers over a month ago which means their respective schools put in their waivers much earlier.
Perhaps they were waiting for 'weaker cases' to play out first so they could argue similar waivers should they need to. Our AD is a lawyer after all.. ;)

I've heard this story a couple of times, latest on Werner show this week, that Illinois intentionally waited to see what was working and apply those lessons into the submission, & just submitted the waiver. He also said the staff feels good about the waiver.

Deleted member 29907

D
I've heard this story a couple of times, latest on Werner show this week, that Illinois intentionally waited to see what was working and apply those lessons into the submission, & just submitted the waiver. He also said the staff feels good about the waiver.
So you're saying we submitted with the "Coach was too hard on me and made me run, and yelled too :cry:" approach?

Deleted member 654622

D
I believe I heard that the NCAA has asked for more information and more time. I really doubt Whitman did not provide the proper information for this

Status
Not open for further replies.