Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya a random poster is getting the same inside info as actual insiders. Dont you think its odd this poster has inside knowledge of basketball recruiting, football recruiting, coaching searches and more? Those insiders make their livelihood from their services and it sucks seeing their info passed on for free.

Agree, but I think what Joel was alluding to is that the poster in question has a track record of passing along relative inside information that doesn't align with that source. Therefore it's possible that he heard the same thing elsewhere and passed it along.

In a vacuum, his waiver probably wasn't the strongest and I guess it kind of makes sense it got denied.

But in an NCAA world where qb's can transfer from power to power simply because they can't win a starting job, with no repercussions, this is ridiculous.

Agree with Blockhead! Coaches move around and players don't have the same mobility. I understand that there should be constraint on transfers, but their should be more consideration for transfers when moving closer to home base.

Illinivek23

Gurnee
Wonder what the NCAA rationale was for the denial. Do they typically provide one?

Wonder what the NCAA rationale was for the denial. Do they typically provide one?

According to Jeremy Werner, it was because Champaign is outside of a 100 mile radius of his hometown and his grandpa is not part of his immediate family, apparently those are a part of the rules.

Non-revenue sports such as volleyball seem to survive without restrictions on transfers.

The ncaa is officially an absolute disaster.. like ford gets denied a waiver after transferring for a legit reason but kids can transfer and play immediately simply because they weren't good enough to win a starting job at the previous school. Seriously a travesty.. and a complete ball drop by the ncaa

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Was exactly as I figured they would rule . There is no denying they hate all things Illini .

I would have been shocked if it came down in Luke’s favor . That’s how crappy my outlook is on anything we need their blessing . Sad

FT35

Naperville
My buddy told me he read a story about a kid that wanted to transfer from Coastal Carolina to Va Tech to be close to home because his mom has a brain tumor. They apparently denied immediate eligibility because Va Tech is not within their 100 mile standard....it's 105 miles to his home! Wow, just wow!

You are referring to Brock Hoffman whose request was denied yesterday.

twitter.com

Brock Hoffman had a stronger case, so I can't say I'm surprised.
My buddy told me he read a story about a kid that wanted to transfer from Coastal Carolina to Va Tech to be close to home because his mom has a brain tumor. They apparently denied immediate eligibility because Va Tech is not within their 100 mile standard....it's 105 miles to his home! Wow, just wow!
This was discussed on the previous page:
A few points I read elsewhere. Two reasons were cited for denying the exception: the distance was 5 miles over the allowed radius (Ford is 90 miles over) and his mother's health is improving and not debilitating and requiring ongoing medical care (I have no idea about Ford's grandparents, and whether they would count as immediate family). And another key point: he did not hire an attorney. Interestingly, there is thought that he could have tried for a waiver due to a coaching change, as Tate Martell did, and gotten that instead of a family medical hardship waiver.
And just to clarify, his mother's brain tumor, which was not cancerous, was removed a year ago. They asked him what care he was going to provide and how often. This is more in lines with the purpose of the waiver, not so that family can more easily attend games.

People are confusing the family medical hardship waiver with other types of waivers. Tate Martell was granted a waiver in large part because of a coaching change. The attorney threw a lot of other things out there. It's easier to get that waiver than the family medical hardship waiver, unless there is a true family medical hardship.

NJILLINI

Castle Pines, Colorado
According to Jeremy Werner, it was because Champaign is outside of a 100 mile radius of his hometown and his grandpa is not part of his immediate family, apparently those are a part of the rules.

And I'll bet if you checked, there have been exceptions made to those criteria on more than one occasion. Should have used the old tried and true "hostile environment for a kid from The Land of Lincoln."

What a bunch of self-righteous a-holes the NCAA is.

FT35

Naperville
Are there ANY Division 1 football schools within 100 miles of Carterville? The 100 mile standard is pretty arbitrary for someone from who just didn't happen to grow up in the shadow of several Division 1 schools.

SIU is 9 miles from Carterville.

Champaign is under 200 miles away. Nashville (Vanderbilt) and Louisville are a bit farther away.

Status
Not open for further replies.