Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinivek23

Gurnee
From Vic Koenning's wiki page: "He improved the Illini defense from 91st in the country in 2009, to 38th in 2010, and 7th in 2011" .

Should these be our expectations? Why not a Top 10 D in 2 years? Isn't that what we all thought we would be getting 4 years ago? (Not being negative - but why not?

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
I thought our D would be better than it has been, but I never thought we would be Top 10. Top 50 ? yea
Sometimes things work out and these awesome years , where you kick a$$ on D or O . and things just fall into place.
But when Lovie took over, the cupboard was pretty bare.

1556406867211.jpeg

From Vic Koenning's wiki page: "He improved the Illini defense from 91st in the country in 2009, to 38th in 2010, and 7th in 2011" .

Should these be our expectations? Why not a Top 10 D in 2 years? Isn't that what we all thought we would be getting 4 years ago? (Not being negative - but why not?
Vic Koenning had quite a bit of talent to work with, as subsequent NFL draft picks show. Maybe the Illini are getting closer, but I don't think they are that far along.
Pretty bare?
It wasn't completely bare, if that is what you are implying: Dawuane Smoot, James Crawford, Jaylen Dunlap, Carroll Phillips, Hardy Nickerson, Tre Watson, Patrick Nelson, Stanley Green. That defense ended up being 77th in both DFEI and S&P+, and 94th in team defense. I think the talent was there to do better than that, but they just didn't gel.

Vic Koenning had quite a bit of talent to work with, as subsequent NFL draft picks show. Maybe the Illini are getting closer, but I don't think they are that far along.

It wasn't completely bare, if that is what you are implying: Dawuane Smoot, James Crawford, Jaylen Dunlap, Carroll Phillips, Hardy Nickerson, Tre Watson, Patrick Nelson, Stanley Green. That defense ended up being 77th in both DFEI and S&P+, and 94th in team defense. I think the talent was there to do better than that, but they just didn't gel.

Didn’t gel and learning their 3rd system. Much of that can be attributed to culture change and growing pains. We should expect more the next few years

Illinivek23

Gurnee
Didn’t gel and learning their 3rd system. Much of that can be attributed to culture change and growing pains. We should expect more the next few years

I agree. Can't wait to see highly ranked defenses. Pieces are coming together - need to aim high.

Yes but he had Keith Gilmore as defensive line coach, who we were about to elevate to sainthood at the time. When he left, the oomph went out of it.

One big takeaway from the article is that Ford and Hoffman will be adjusting their appeals to use the broader hardship waiver based on mitigating circumstances beyond their control instead of a family medical situation. I did not realize they could do that after applying for the waiver based on a family medical hardship.

I'm curious what Ford's mitigating circumstances will be. I'm sure his grandfather's deteriorating health will be one factor. There were some changes in position coaches, and perhaps an affidavit stating it was disclosed before Luke announced he was transferring would get around the timeline issue. Maybe something the coaches said trying to convince him to stay crossed the line. On the surface, he seems to have a less obvious route than Hoffman.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

The idea that there's one special lawyer who you have to have for these cases makes crystal clear that what players are navigating here is not a rulebook, but the internal politics of the NCAA as an organization. It's the biggest indictment of the process of all.

Now, I hope Mars is able to get Ford eligible, don't get me wrong, but this just further exposes what an absolute fraud this entire process is.

In general recruits need to evaluate distance
The idea that there's one special lawyer who you have to have for these cases makes crystal clear that what players are navigating here is not a rulebook, but the internal politics of the NCAA as an organization. It's the biggest indictment of the process of all.

Now, I hope Mars is able to get Ford eligible, don't get me wrong, but this just further exposes what an absolute fraud this entire process is.

I thought the exact thing. Not only the right lawyer but the key phrases. Recruits and players need to learn from these instances. Don't go far from home if your not comfortable riding the bench.

In general recruits need to evaluate distance

I thought the exact thing. Not only the right lawyer but the key phrases. Recruits and players need to learn from these instances. Don't go far from home if your not comfortable riding the bench.

I am with you on the right phrases and right lawyer, but not the distance point. If you ride the bench close to home, you cannot use the "distance to home/family" excuse as a reason to transfer anywhere else---that rule is only helpful if you are transferring back TO home. I doubt anyone is making decisions off of that factor, but just based off the waiver rule it would make more sense to try your luck elsewhere before transferring back to a school near your home. The reverse is harder.

I agree to some extent, but think it mostly highlights wealth disparity. wealthy people play with a different set of rules than poor people. I don’t know the people this lawyer has represented (or how wealthy they are), but I do know that if you have enough money, you can get away with a lot.

I am with you on the right phrases and right lawyer, but not the distance point. If you ride the bench close to home, you cannot use the "distance to home/family" excuse as a reason to transfer anywhere else---that rule is only helpful if you are transferring back TO home. I doubt anyone is making decisions off of that factor, but just based off the waiver rule it would make more sense to try your luck elsewhere before transferring back to a school near your home. The reverse is harder.

Clearly the lesson here is to move your family home to within 100 miles of a FBS level school if you want to take a shot at a big time program, that way you have the option to transfer home later with no waiting!

Bissett is transferring to Virginia. I hope Sydney honors his commit to transfer to Illinois. Are there any other 5th year transfers or JUCO WR left out there?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Lotta smoke with Brissett. Still sucks though. Hopefully, we can scrounge another good grad transfer receiver.

illini80

Forgottonia
Each time we get a nice round of good news, it seems to be followed by a slow trickle of bad news. We are in serious need of WR’s and our chances of landing a transfer QB are slim without a stable of receivers. And vice-versa which may be part of the problem in the first place. We desperately need Ford as another option.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Lack of a passing game may sink this whole thing. What a bad time to have no set QB and a stable of WRs that is unknown and unproven.

Deleted member 29907

D
Lack of a passing game may sink this whole thing. What a bad time to have no set QB and a stable of WRs that is unknown and unproven.
So - question to the cloud - are we any worse than we were last year re: passing and receiving ? Rivers looked to have the same passing rating as AJ and he was a Frosh. I'd assume he improves from last year. And really we lost Mikey and then Edwin pretty early in the season. I'd assume the WRs from last year will improve - but hands are hands i guess so we'll have to see.

My guess is we'll focus on the running game and explosive ability of Epstein and Corbin and have to rely on forcing opposing Ds to defend RPOs to get receivers some space.

Status
Not open for further replies.