Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
So - question to the cloud - are we any worse than we were last year re: passing and receiving ? Rivers looked to have the same passing rating as AJ and he was a Frosh. I'd assume he improves from last year. And really we lost Mikey and then Edwin pretty early in the season. I'd assume the WRs from last year will improve - but hands are hands i guess so we'll have to see.

My guess is we'll focus on the running game and explosive ability of Epstein and Corbin and have to rely on forcing opposing Ds to defend RPOs to get receivers some space.
Werner said something about off the field issues with MJ being the reason he didn't start in spring practices. Hopefully that's not something that is still holding him back come fall

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Werner said something about off the field issues with MJ being the reason he didn't start in spring practices. Hopefully that's not something that is still holding him back come fall

At least it’s not “on the field issues.” We need somebody to be able to claim that lofty goal of “serviceable QB” come August.

The Ignore button is my friend.

If we are not getting Tate, then we need to get this kid

As much as I would like to get him, because I think it will take half a year for I Williams to step in. Ms State is still the team to beat.

Sal Iacuzzo

Yonkers, NY
The staff got to evaluate the QBs on the roster during spring practice and if they are seeking out a transfer QB I would assume they would have good reason to.

Deleted member 654622

D
So, not to be that guy, but why do we need Stevens? Portal says 3 star low 80s rating? Do we think he'd be that much better than a 2nd year in the system Rivers? Remember Rivers didn't have great receivers last year either after Mikey and Edwin went down. Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't know what stats says 'this is the guy!' Is this for depth insurance?
From all accounts, none of the QBs on the roster currently are going to win us 6 games this year. And that is an issue. The offense took a step back when MJ was under center. I love the kid, but he isn't ready. We need a running QB who is physically mature enough to endure a B1G season. Basically we need AJ Bush again. Stevens is a better version of Bush
The amount of talent that is waiting to see success on the field this year is so overwhelming, they need to go all out and do whatever it takes. If it makes Rivers and Robinson mad, so be it.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
From all accounts, none of the QBs on the roster currently are going to win us 6 games this year. And that is an issue. The offense took a step back when MJ was under center. I love the kid, but he isn't ready. We need a running QB who is physically mature enough to endure a B1G season. Basically we need AJ Bush again. Stevens is a better version of Bush
The amount of talent that is waiting to see success on the field this year is so overwhelming, they need to go all out and do whatever it takes. If it makes Rivers and Robinson mad, so be it.

Spot on. (y)

Had one of those guys shined (in the Spring), we wouldn't be here. WRT Stevens, I agree w/your take: he's better than Bush.

We need a running QB who is physically mature enough to endure a B1G season.

Running as in a running QB is an actual part of the offense, or a running QB that is running for his life every play? I prefer a dude who can complete passes.

Deleted member 29907

D
Suffering from AJ and MJ dyslexia, I presume.
Yes, meant to say MJ's spring football results... perhaps I should have stuck with Rivers'. Some seem to be basing Rivers' outlook based on his performance as a freshman thrown into a situation where the starter goes down, we quickly lose Mikey and then Edwin. I would have hoped he would improve year to year. I live too far away to see the spring practices and scrimmage - and very often the issues attributed to a QB can be other issues - receivers not running correct routes, not getting separation, OLine stinks, etc. If its mostly on him, that's too bad given he's had 1.5 years in the system by now. He showed some signs of giving us life last year.

Deleted member 654622

D
Yeah, but his QB rating wasn't that far off of AJ's. Clearly not the runner AJ was - but he was a Freshman and still learning. And he seemed to be more accurate passing. Are we basing our woes on AJ's Spring football results? And I agree, I don't care if anyone gets mad if they get beat out for a starting job. Where are we getting the info that he's AJ 2.0? What is all that based on? HIs list of schools doesn't seem all that impressive (ha!, we're on that list). Again, not arguing - I just was curious re: the basis of his ability. As a side note, both AJ and Rivers would probably have looked a bit better surrounded by the talent PSU has.
I do not mind the questions.
1. I am not going to act like I know how the QBR is calculated. But I would guess that it doesn't account for 700+ rushing yards accurately if AJs was close to MJs. MJ is def a better passer, but that was a very low bar. MJ is no where near the runner that we need in this offense with this current roster.
2. MJ has some off the field issues he needs to get straightened up if he even wants to dress next year. That should not be happening
3. Yes the information is based off this year's Spring.
4. Watch Steven's highlights. It is clear he has a strong arm (no indication on accuracy) and is a powerful runner. He looks like AJ 2.0
5. Jeremy Werner show - Steven's was supposed to be the starter but cannot stay healthy enough to be guaranteed the starting role. If he is good enough to start at Penn State, he is good enough to start here.
I agree MJ would look a lot better with talent around him. But we don't have that luxury yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.