Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

illiniswish09

Northwest Suburbs
I’m starting to think Beason at WR this year will give us the best chance to win. Feel like we have enough in the secondary to be solid. Thoughts?

I’m starting to think Beason at WR this year will give us the best chance to win. Feel like we have enough in the secondary to be solid. Thoughts?
Beason wants to play corner and Lovie wants him at corner...not saying he won't get WR reps but most of his reps will come on the defensive side of the ball.

You guys are missing my point. This whole FREE LUKE FORD thing is, well, to put it kindly, stupid. What does he need to be freed from? So he might have to sit out a year, just like Milo Eifler. Or, should there be a FREE MILO EIFLER campaign, or has that finished?
If you're crapping on people pining over the Luke Ford thing every single day since the news broke, I'm on your side, I don't need to be reminded he isn't yet cleared.

That being said, Milo and Luke were/are in different situations. Milo transferred last year, did not apply for a hardship/whatever waiver, and agreed to sit a year. Luke transferred this year, applied for a hardship waiver, was denied, and now is pursuing another type of waiver.

Now, if you're trying to say those complaining now should've complained about Milo's transfer, I would partially agree. But the fact remains Milo never applied for a waiver (AFAIK), whereas Luke Ford did and got denied. Therefore people feel a sense of injustice towards Luke, whereas Milo was just going through the process.

If you're crapping on people pining over the Luke Ford thing every single day since the news broke, I'm on your side, I don't need to be reminded he isn't yet cleared.

That being said, Milo and Luke were/are in different situations. Milo transferred last year, did not apply for a hardship/whatever waiver, and agreed to sit a year. Luke transferred this year, applied for a hardship waiver, was denied, and now is pursuing another type of waiver.

Now, if you're trying to say those complaining now should've complained about Milo's transfer, I would partially agree. But the fact remains Milo never applied for a waiver (AFAIK), whereas Luke Ford did and got denied. Therefore people feel a sense of injustice towards Luke, whereas Milo was just going through the process.
It's your first sentence. How long does this have to go on? If he doesn't get a waiver, will this go on until the start of the 2020 season? I get the sense of injustice, but this whole idea of "freedom" from the tyranny of the NCAA, which currently has Luke shackled and unable to workout, study the playbook, practice with the team, and play this upcoming season seems a bit much. Worst case scenario, he's in the same boat as most other non-graduated transfers and has to sit out of games for a year, just like Milo Eifler did.

It's your first sentence. How long does this have to go on? If he doesn't get a waiver, will this go on until the start of the 2020 season? I get the sense of injustice, but this whole idea of "freedom" from the tyranny of the NCAA, which currently has Luke shackled and unable to workout, study the playbook, practice with the team, and play this upcoming season seems a bit much. Worst case scenario, he's in the same boat as most other non-graduated transfers and has to sit out of games for a year, just like Milo Eifler did.

The injustice is Fields and OSU = immediate eligibility. Ford & Illinois = sit out a year. Flat out BS.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
The injustice is Fields and OSU = immediate eligibility. Ford & Illinois = sit out a year. Flat out BS.

I'm loathe to defend the NCAA, but Fields and Ford applied for two different waivers. Fields apparently met the mitigating circumstances required by his waiver, while Luke didn't qualify under the family hardship one. Hopefully all will be well once Ford's appeal/new waiver goes through.

See I’ve read that “officially” that wasn’t why they granted it. But unofficially it was. So I’m curious what the “official” reason was. I don’t know that I’ve seen that anywhere
The NCAA doesn't give a reason for granting a waiver, so I'm not sure where the official/unofficial designations you've read about came from. Both Justin Fields and Tom Mars claimed that racism had nothing to do with the transfer, so that might have something to do with it. "Documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete" gives a lot of leeway for interpretation. Due to Fields' privacy rights, we may never know what the actual circumstances were unless he wants to publicize it.

I mean if you're asking how long it'll go on, people are just hoping he can play this season. If Luke isn't granted a waiver by the time the season starts, then it's over.

I mean if you're asking how long it'll go on, people are just hoping he can play this season. If Luke isn't granted a waiver by the time the season starts, then it's over.
I was wondering how long the FREE LUKE FORD will go on. The original question was to oldschool51 asking if Milo Eifler had been freed yet. That would give me an idea of how long it will continue.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I think he was referring to non-conference games in which case I understand his point. Probably not wise to assume an automatic 3-0 start

Seems to me as I watched the nonconference games under Lovie these past couple of seasons, that Lovie certainly wanted to win the games, but it looked to me as if he was really using those games as almost pre-season games that didn't count with the purpose being, since just about all the players were so young and not exactly molded into a particular position, to see how everybody looked on the field, in different combinations of players on the field and players playing different positions. Does this even make sense?

One baseball players supposed statement makes it a hostile atmosphere for a football player??????? Wow, just wow.
No, it does not. As noted in a previous post:
The NCAA doesn't give a reason for granting a waiver, so I'm not sure where the official/unofficial designations you've read about came from. Both Justin Fields and Tom Mars claimed that racism had nothing to do with the transfer, so that might have something to do with it. "Documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete" gives a lot of leeway for interpretation. Due to Fields' privacy rights, we may never know what the actual circumstances were unless he wants to publicize it.

How come the waivers that got denied were public knowledge, but the ones that got approved are top-secret?
The NCAA gives a reason if the waiver request is denied (which students often make public), but not if it is granted. Now if you are asking me why the NCAA does this, well, what can I say? It is the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.