Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 years?

For a QB (from UM) and receivers (from USC)?

o_O

Not complaining. Just trying to make sense of a vacuum from just a few weeks ago. Famine to "feast".

Last edited:
So excited for the future..
With the talent we have coming in and the vets can teach them a thing or two..
Just stock up another good recruiting class for the next 2 years and we will be relevant not only in the big 10 but NCAAF prriod.
I now saying championship caliber team but I am saying were on the right track again to get a 10 win season within the next few years..
Boel games here we come..
#illiniproud..
$ibleedorangeandbluethroughandthrough

Deleted member 649710

D
So Peters might not have the running ability of other QBs, but in this video he exhibits a nice throwing touch, and decent mobility, against BIG competition.

I mean, this isn't Khalil Tate to Jeff Thomas and Luke Ford, but I am now feeling OK about our skill position depth on offense for 2019. And 2020 could be even better with most players returning with a year of experience + Ford and hopefully a skill guy like Mookie. Steady progress I see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 4960

D
That’s big news. Looked Capable in that video clip against Rutgers. Of course it’s Rutgers. I think we can function reasonably well as an offense now with this infusion of talent. Kid made some throws on the roll out. Just need to see if he can run the option??

Someone show this to rod smith
flairtaco.jpg

Getting Peters is huge (obviously). Before I was hoping for a 5-win season, and now I'm hoping for 6.

I'm guessing there's zero chance that Williams redshirts, but it would be great to get him a year of learning the system followed by four years of productive play.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Peters solidifies QB, which was dependent on Williams being ready from day one. Feel a whole lot better about our offense now. Peters gives Smith the opportunity to really mix things up. Looking forward to his CU debut and early reports. Expecting good news.

We have to win all 3 non-con games. Peters moves the likelihood of that substantially. Get 6 wins and we'll advance our recruiting. Rinse and repeat.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I'm guessing there's zero chance that Williams redshirts, but it would be great to get him a year of learning the system followed by four years of productive play.

I'm guessing you're right!

That’s big news. Looked Capable in that video clip against Rutgers. Of course it’s Rutgers. I think we can function reasonably well as an offense now with this infusion of talent. Kid made some throws on the roll out. Just need to see if he can run the option??
Wonder where all the Michigan haters were last night and this morning.

You can never have enough quality players. The QB thing will work itself out. IW will see the field this year
with series designed for his talents while Peters gets the majority of snaps. if the o-line stays healthy and
keeps him upright, I see good things. This puts us in the 5-7 win category. Two QB's ready and occasional
rotation to give the defense a different look will be a great strategy. Maybe even two QB's on the field for
a specialty play or two pt. conversion.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Maybe even two QB's on the field for
a specialty play or two pt. conversion.

Peters and Williams in the backfield is a DC's nightmare. We may see this look a lot more often than specialty plays (nudge nudge).

Peters and Williams in the backfield is a DC's nightmare. We may see this look a lot more often than specialty plays (nudge nudge).
I would rather see Corbin or Epstein in the backfield with either Peters or Williams. I'm not sure what having both Peters and Williams in the backfield brings to the table. If Peters gets the snap, is Williams supposed to stay in and block or flare out to the flats for a pass? If Williams gets the snap, is Peters a lead blocker? Ultimately, Corbin and Epstein are sitting and whoever doesn't get the snap is doing something they didn't come to Illinois for.

I like this as a 1-year option. He has experience and will likely get the nod to start. I think he provides a solid option as a serviceable game manager. I saw a lot of dump offs and on some of the longer throws, he lacked accuracy. But I don't think IW is ready to start. Given his style I don't doubt he can make an immediate impact, but he is still just an 18 yr old and I would like to see more mass put on him to protect himself for the style that he plays. I think there will be plays developed for him, but Peters starts the season.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Being a Michigan & Illinois fan this is the dream. I am not sure how he will fit into the offense, but I can’t believe this won’t give us a level of competence at QB that we haven’t had since Scheelhaase. Hopefully Juice 2.0 plays well enough to take the job, but with Peters we look like a not-necessarily last place team.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
With the new rules, is IW skipping a redshirt a given? He can play in 4 games and still qualify correct? I hope that if they play IW in more then 4 games, it is because his ability is forcing the issue and plays a big role, and not because we use him on 2-3 trick plays/formations a game and waste a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.