Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
I am personally hoping for the scenario where a .96 4 star QB that is now a Junior, plays really well for two years. After that, One takes the helm as a redshirt sophomore with his added knowledge of the college game. Not to mention the additional physical maturity and added weight that will enhance his productivity.
Is that not the best case scenario? Yes Mookie and Antonio want to see Isaiah play right a way. But I am sure winning more games will hold more weight overall in recruiting

Getting Peters is huge (obviously). Before I was hoping for a 5-win season, and now I'm hoping for 6.

I'm guessing there's zero chance that Williams redshirts, but it would be great to get him a year of learning the system followed by four years of productive play.
Unfortunately, don't think Illinois football has the luxury to stash 4/5 star-rated talent via redshirt. I suspect the coaching staff sees Williams and Peters as a great change-of-pace duo, giving defenses two completely different styles to contend with regardless of who starts the game under center.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Being a Michigan & Illinois fan this is the dream. I am not sure how he will fit into the offense, but I can’t believe this won’t give us a level of competence at QB that we haven’t had since Scheelhaase. Hopefully Juice 2.0 plays well enough to take the job, but with Peters we look like a not-necessarily last place team.

Illegal in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Mariana Islands. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Unfortunately, don't think Illinois football has the luxury to stash 4/5 star-rated talent via redshirt. I suspect the coaching staff sees Williams and Peters as a great change-of-pace duo, giving defenses two completely different styles to contend with regardless of who starts the game under center.
Agree. Lovie needs to win 6 or more games this year to take some of the criticism down a notch. Playing both might be the best way to win. We are not in the position to save Isaiah for a future year. Recruit a good qb behind him in 2020 or 2021 class and get him ready post Isaiah.

BZuppke

Plainfield
I think we will certainly rely on Peters early due to his experience. With our running backs, it is likely that we will pound the ball a lot regardless of the QB. Start mixing IW in and see what happens. We have options.

Deleted member 654622

D
Agree. Lovie needs to win 6 or more games this year to take some of the criticism down a notch. Playing both might be the best way to win. We are not in the position to save Isaiah for a future year. Recruit a good qb behind him in 2020 or 2021 class and get him ready post Isaiah.
I agree with most of what your saying. I believe most in the fan base feel the same way. But lets give the kid that was a higher rated recruit, that is now experienced and older, the benefit of the doubt. I would say we could very well be in a position to save Isaiah.

I agree with most of what your saying. I believe most in the fan base feel the same way. But lets give the kid that was a higher rated recruit, that is now experienced and older, the benefit of the doubt. I would say we could very well be in a position to save Isaiah.
If we are going to save him, lets use him in 4 games where we will likely need a big play to win a game (Big Ten games). Let's not waste him. I hope Peters plays up to his rating but I don't believe pass blocking will be a strength and up to this point he has not shown much, albeit a small sample size. Think this resolves itself with Isaiah playing a lot. Think he is best suited to run the offense, since he is better runner.

IW as a runner in the open field or in a jet sweep/roll out passing option could definitely work with Peters on the field.
Both guys can throw down field and run if necessary. The effect is to make the opposition defend the full width of the field.
Add speedy playmakers (which we can do now) to that equation and we get a basketball game mismatch of sorts. It's not so
much about blockers, but speed in the open field where a playmaker only needs to beat one guy or a defender running laterally
can get cut back on or "screened" by a receiver or lineman.

IW as a runner in the open field or in a jet sweep/roll out passing option could definitely work with Peters on the field.
Both guys can throw down field and run if necessary. The effect is to make the opposition defend the full width of the field.
Add speedy playmakers (which we can do now) to that equation and we get a basketball game mismatch of sorts. It's not so
much about blockers, but speed in the open field where a playmaker only needs to beat one guy or a defender running laterally
can get cut back on or "screened" by a receiver or lineman.
I have a crazy idea. Instead of a gimmicky offense sure to land players into a transfer portal, let's have Illinois' two best and most proven players, Corban and Epstein, play running back, and let the best quarterback, whether Peters or Williams, play quarterback. The other quarterback could still get reps... as a quarterback.

When was the last time our starting QB was able to play the whole season? This is why you keep more than one good one. One year in recent memory, we flat out ran out of quarterbacks.

And a good coach makes his system fit the players he has, especially in college. After all, 1/4 of them leave at the end of each season as graduating seniors.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Illegal in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Mariana Islands. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

giphy.gif

Isn’t Being a Michigan & Illinois fan an oxymoron-Not only opposites, but impossible?

Nah. Grew up a Michigan fan. Went to Illinois. Illinois gets priority for sure, but as someone else said, there haven't been many bitter moments between the schools lately to give me much conflict.

audie

The Great Northwest
Peters to the ILLINI
reminds me of
Flynn to the Seahawks

Not hard to see why Peters choose the Illini over Bowling Green and Miami (Oh), especially with the chance to play Michigan in October if he can win the job.

But IW has more talent and is a better fit for this offense, an offense that Peters has never played in. I expect IW to be the starter throughout the season and Peters to be a quality backup that will allow us to run IW a little more and not be as worried.

Lovie's style is to indicate from now through the season that either quarterback could start the next game. Forces DC's to prepare for both.

I support you, redwing!! :)

As an Illini fan who, due to circumstances a little more important than sports interests, decided to stay in-state and go to Iowa for my undergrad ... I can't help but roll my eyes at how some alumni Illini fans have literally antagonized me (obviously in a kidding way) about being an Illini fan who didn't go there ... lol, don't we want more fans?

I was at a bar in Iowa City (in my Illini gear, tail between my legs) after our depressing BEATdown in Carver last year and started talking to an older Illini fan ... he almost got mad when he learned I had an Iowa degree, and he started talking to me as if I were literally an Iowa fan once he figured out, as if I were no longer decked out in orange and blue a few hours after we just got embarrassed. :p

We aren't Xavier or Baylor or Wake Forest or any of those tiny schools who have alumni-only fan bases; I am the opposite example of redwing, but we WANT non-alumni fans along with alumni fans, and ideally kids in Illinois with zero connection to UIUC should grow up cheering for Illinois because it represents their home state in college sports with loyalty equal to actual Illinois grads.

EDIT: Oh yeah, love this transfer news! :p Hopefully, this gives us a bit more breathing room getting to six wins this year!

Deleted member 649710

D
Here's more tape on Peters; the entire 2018 Outback Bowl (vs. South Carolina), condensed to 22 minutes:

Decent arm, decent pocket presence, not a threat to run, looks big enough to take a hit and not crumble. Managed the game OK. Overall, he seems like a solid addition. Glad to have him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.