Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
My UM insider buddy texted me a few days ago telling me BP is coming by just saying “He’s your problem now. 😏

Rod is going to have to make some adjustments due to him jot being a QB that fits his system, but I don’t think it will hinder us too bad.
I know IW is the QB of the future, we just need to be just a little more patient. Things are falling into piece.

Here's more tape on Peters; the entire 2018 Outback Bowl (vs. South Carolina), condensed to 22 minutes:

Decent arm, decent pocket presence, not a threat to run, looks big enough to take a hit and not crumble. Managed the game OK. Overall, he seems like a solid addition. Glad to have him.

Looked like he was under pressure the entire game. Of course, the defense knew that he was no threat to run. I don't know that our offensive line will protect him any better.

My UM insider buddy texted me a few days ago telling me BP is coming by just saying “He’s your problem now. 😏

Rod is going to have to make some adjustments due to him jot being a QB that fits his system, but I don’t think it will hinder us too bad.
I know IW is the QB of the future, we just need to be just a little more patient. Things are falling into piece.
Not sure how he compares to Rivers, haven’t watched BP run, but I would guess similar type offensive plan for both players.

I don't know... I'm just not as hyped as everyone else seems to be about this Peters addition. Maybe I'm just always cynical.

I have a friend who follows Michigan football religiously (I have a bad taste in friends...), and I asked him whether I should be excited about Peters or not. His response: "4th string at Michigan. Better than anything you've got. Scale of 1 to 10? a six." Personally, I disagree with him on this point: I don't think he's better than anything Illinois has. I think IW will be a star.

I don't know... I'm just not as hyped as everyone else seems to be about this Peters addition. Maybe I'm just always cynical.

I have a friend who follows Michigan football religiously (I have a bad taste in friends...), and I asked him whether I should be excited about Peters or not. His response: "4th string at Michigan. Better than anything you've got. Scale of 1 to 10? a six." Personally, I disagree with him on this point: I don't think he's better than anything Illinois has. I think IW will be a star.
If he wasn’t better Rod wouldn’t have brought him in. IW should be a star but Rod wants him to learn and get his body big 10 ready. Also Peters did win Michigan a bowl game as a freshman after injury.

Deleted member 654622

D
Looked like he was under pressure the entire game. Of course, the defense knew that he was no threat to run. I don't know that our offensive line will protect him any better.
That is the thing, Mich has had some rough O lines the last few years. That is why it was important to get Patterson for them, he can evade the pass rush!
I feel better about our O Line actually

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more enthusiasm over the acquisition of Brandon Peters. I think it's hugely beneficial to the program. We haven't had an accurate passer since Wes Lunt and, although I understand that Lunt was injury prone and not a threat to run, he threw a beautiful pass. He was more of an offensive threat than anyone who has played quarterback for us since he graduated.
Maybe Washington will eventually become the starter, but I think it's too much to expect that a player from high school -- even if he is an outstanding athlete -- can immediately adjust to all of the requirements of a P-5 quarterback. Sure, he will still be an outstanding athlete, but there is more to it than that. He will have a lot to learn.
In any event, it will be nice to have the option of using a skilled passer or a skilled runner at the quarterback position -- as circumstances may require.

Deleted member 654622

D
If he wasn’t better Rod wouldn’t have brought him in. IW should be a star but Rod wants him to learn and get his body big 10 ready. Also Peters did win Michigan a bowl game as a freshman after injury.
This is where I am. I think he will be a star. But he isn't going to come in and light the world up as a true freshman QB. It is extremely rare for that to happen

Deleted member 654622

D
I'm a little surprised that there isn't more enthusiasm over the acquisition of Brandon Peters. I think it's hugely beneficial to the program. We haven't had an accurate passer since Wes Lunt and, although I understand that Lunt was injury prone and not a threat to run, he threw a beautiful pass. He was more of an offensive threat than anyone who has played quarterback for us since he graduated.
Maybe Washington will eventually become the starter, but I think it's too much to expect that a player from high school -- even if he is an outstanding athlete -- can immediately adjust to all of the requirements of a P-5 quarterback. Sure, he will still be an outstanding athlete, but there is more to it than that. He will have a lot to learn.
In any event, it will be nice to have the option of using a skilled passer or a skilled runner at the quarterback position -- as circumstances may require.
100% for Isaiah Williams also

This is HUGE! How many receivers on our roster have multiple touchdown catches? Carter does, and he only played one game! He is going to be a force, if he's cleared to play in the fall.

Also, thanks for that video, Olaf. Peters showed a tendency to stare down his receivers, often released late, and is prone to panic throws when chased out of the pocket. He looks sturdy, and he'll have a number of solid offensive tools around him. Nevertheless, if any of the reports on IWIL are accurate, I expect him to get a lot of snaps this year. Maybe more than Peters, if he can take the hits and stay healthy.

I have a crazy idea. Instead of a gimmicky offense sure to land players into a transfer portal, let's have Illinois' two best and most proven players, Corban and Epstein, play running back, and let the best quarterback, whether Peters or Williams, play quarterback. The other quarterback could still get reps... as a quarterback.

Sometimes the simplest option is the best one...

With IW we’ll see more read plays and rollouts being set up off the run.

With Peters we’ll see more high percentage quick passes and play actions again being set up by the run. Our QBs need to be game managers for us to win 6 games, not heisman contenders attempting a ridiculous 2 QB system.

Does Peters not run because he can't, or because he wasn't asked to? Dunno. Just asking.

Deleted member 654622

D
Does Peters not run because he can't, or because he wasn't asked to? Dunno. Just asking.
From what I know just from watching Michigan, Peters is more of a pocket QB. It is not that he isn't athletic enough, he just looks for the pass. Harbaugh runs more of a pro system. And with bad O lines, it is difficult on pocket passers

IW as a runner in the open field or in a jet sweep/roll out passing option could definitely work with Peters on the field.
Both guys can throw down field and run if necessary. The effect is to make the opposition defend the full width of the field.
Add speedy playmakers (which we can do now) to that equation and we get a basketball game mismatch of sorts. It's not so
much about blockers, but speed in the open field where a playmaker only needs to beat one guy or a defender running laterally
can get cut back on or "screened" by a receiver or lineman.

In theory you want him on the field getting reps. I get that. But doing what you are saying will not work . The game is way more complicated than that. Significantly different than basketball. If you want to get a guy reps then you get him reps at the position you want him to play. Playing a QB in a condensed role isn't the same as playing a WR in a condensed specific role. Also he is fast for a QB, but not WR/RB fast. We have a ton more speed on this team that would succeed far better in space than him. If you want to get him reps, then get him beneficial reps. As a fan I am not expecting much out of IW this season. I don't see the need to rush him along unless the coaching staff thinks he is ready. QB is a confidence position. No reason to push along a guy that can be major part in the longevity of a program.

Ohio State has succeeded using a 2 QB system (I know that the QB talent they have is significantly better than U of I). Why not use Peters and Coran and distinct roles? Coran has a good frame and is a good runner. Coach Rod has shown that he can be creative and can succeed in the run game with little passing game. I am not worried about this offense at all. I am actually excited to see how creative it can get.

This is a bit of an exaggeration. I have season tickets to Michigan and the whole situation is bad. Before Shea, harbaugh was likely to lose his job because he was unable to land a productive qb. But some of that is the ol, and Peters as 4th strong doesn’t mean much. He obviously didn’t fit and wasn’t appreciated. Rod is a qb whisperer. I’m guessing that Peters will play well for what we need

Guys I’m as happy as anyone that Edwin is moving as well as he is right now but the staff and medical staff still doesn’t expect him to be able to play this season.
Good to hear. Really hope he does not play this season, full recovery. Worst thing would be for the staff to pressure if he gets close.
One think I noticed from the video was no twisting of the knee during the drill. Great to see he is on his way, but long road to go.

Peters will be more than fine for us. Keep in mind most of his PT was as a redshirt frosh. He is in what, his senior year now? Those guys have so many reps playing that the game slows down for them.

Best Case Scenario: Peters destroys and allows us to redshirt IW. Leads us to a dramatic win over UM, helping our pursuit to bowl eligibility.

Likely Scenario: Two QB system to keep defenses "honest" and to be difficult to game plan for. However, it's hard to keep defenses honest when one QB is the clear passer and the other the clear runner.

Worst Case: We are Illinois football, so use your imaginations.

What we really need is an improved defense. If we're giving up 30+ a game, we'd need Heisman worthy offensive performances (not happening) to climb out of those holes. Offense needs to be competent enough to avoid repeated 3 and outs and extend drives to keep the D off the field. Points are a plus (obviously) but winning time of possession will be important for our success this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.