Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbjm

Illinois
One thing is for sure. We can complain about anything.

Complain? I wouldn’t call these sad sacks complainers. More like entitled pissants, mired in personal misery.

Incessantly whining and spewing pessimistic drivel about a local college sports program, while they sheepishly graze, unwilling to address real problems in the world.

The majority of people come to Dan’s Illini board, hoping for a respite from serious issues. But any communal joy in rooting for young men and women to succeed, is quickly dashed by these unfortunate people. There’s plenty to be sad and angry about in the world. Have at it. vent your anger and personal failure towards something morally substantive. Leave kids, playing a game, alone.

Complain? I wouldn’t call these sad sacks complainers. More like entitled pissants, mired in personal misery.

Incessantly whining and spewing pessimistic drivel about a local college sports program, while they sheepishly graze, unwilling to address real problems in the world.

The majority of people come to Dan’s Illini board, hoping for a respite from serious issues. But any communal joy in rooting for young men and women to succeed, is quickly dashed by these unfortunate people. There’s plenty to be sad and angry about in the world. Have at it. vent your anger and personal failure towards something morally substantive. Leave kids, playing a game, alone.

Best Case Scenario: Peters destroys and allows us to redshirt IW. Leads us to a dramatic win over UM, helping our pursuit to bowl eligibility.

Likely Scenario: Two QB system to keep defenses "honest" and to be difficult to game plan for. However, it's hard to keep defenses honest when one QB is the clear passer and the other the clear runner.

Worst Case: We are Illinois football, so use your imaginations.

What we really need is an improved defense. If we're giving up 30+ a game, we'd need Heisman worthy offensive performances (not happening) to climb out of those holes. Offense needs to be competent enough to avoid repeated 3 and outs and extend drives to keep the D off the field. Points are a plus (obviously) but winning time of possession will be important for our success this season.
Spot on. If IW got to play a few early games, then red shirt; that would solidify our offense for the future. Williams has the tools to be great, but anyone who’s went from hs to D1 knows about the size/strength differences, and also the speed of the game change. Both those can have a major effect on a qb.

Likely Scenario: Two QB system to keep defenses "honest" and to be difficult to game plan for. However, it's hard to keep defenses honest when one QB is the clear passer and the other the clear runner.

They still have to prepare for both.

And, what if, both are on the field at the same time? Then our opponents can, for once, imagine the worst case. We can then welcome them to the IL club. Just for a day of course.

Deleted member 654622

D

Now that is how you b*tch on the University of Illinois board. You think you get this level of writing on a Missouri board?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Get off my lawn! :D

I have to believe WRs came here to catch passes.Brandon Peters can do that the best. He knows the college speed and defense schemes better than anybody onboard or is coming.

He isn't the runner that is IW but he can hand the ball off to 3-4 of our really good RBs. I think we see IW used in 3 games for design runs or RPOs. Probably also during blow outs. Results of those 3-4 games will show if he redshirts.

I don't believe he will redshirt. But time will provide clarity.

Best Case Scenario: Peters destroys and allows us to redshirt IW. Leads us to a dramatic win over UM, helping our pursuit to bowl eligibility.

Worst Case: We are Illinois football, so use your imaginations.

What we really need is an improved defense. If we're giving up 30+ a game, we'd need Heisman worthy offensive performances (not happening) to climb out of those holes. Offense needs to be competent enough to avoid repeated 3 and outs and extend drives to keep the D off the field. Points are a plus (obviously) but winning time of possession will be important for our success this season.

I agree 100%. While I'm super happy we landed Peters, it's the defense that will make or break this season. Go get 'em Lovie! I'm ready for some Super Bowl defense.

Agree. Lovie needs to win 6 or more games this year to take some of the criticism down a notch. Playing both might be the best way to win. We are not in the position to save Isaiah for a future year. Recruit a good qb behind him in 2020 or 2021 class and get him ready post Isaiah.
Best case, Williams is a pro prospect by his Junior year. Part of Lovie's pitch to recruits/families surely is he can help make your son a pro football player. So high profile draft picks are good marketing. Whitney Mercilus is the only Illini in the past few years that I can think of who made a splash in the NFL. Unless you count Geronimo Allison just for his name. :D

Agree. Lovie needs to win 6 or more games this year to take some of the criticism down a notch. Playing both might be the best way to win. We are not in the position to save Isaiah for a future year. Recruit a good qb behind him in 2020 or 2021 class and get him ready post Isaiah.
I don’t think you guys understand how hands off Lovie is with the offense.....it’s all on Rod if they play both....also should be noted Rod isn’t a fan of 2 QB systems.

I don’t think you guys understand how hands off Lovie is with the offense.....it’s all on Rod if they play both....also should be noted Rod isn’t a fan of 2 QB systems.
Considering he thought Rex Grossman was an NFL QB, I'm glad it's that way.

In all seriousness, I think it speaks to his understanding of the game. His ego doesn't get in the way of letting those with more expertise handle the offense. The defense showed some Lovie-ness last year, hoping they resemble his vision even more this year.

Oh, and that saying: if you have two quaterbacks, you have no quarterbacks. Pretty true. There's such thing as gimmick or special packages, but those snap splits should be closer to 90/10 than 50/50. Still, having Peters and IW and Robinson is not a bad thing by any means, it's just up to the OC to figure it all out.

Deleted member 645583

D
All things considered, I think Lovie is the best possible coach for the Illini right now. He appears to have created a "family" atmosphere. According to reports, staying with Mr. Roundtree overnight at the hospital. Geesh! Whitman, too, and Illinois as a whole, appear to be part of this family thing.

Get well, Bobby; nothng short of a full recovery!

P.S. At least Grossman QB'd the Bears to a Super Bowl.

Deleted member 649710

D
The results this year depend on the defense improving, and OL staying healthy, way more than the QB, in my opinion.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Considering he thought Rex Grossman was an NFL QB, I'm glad it's that way.

In all seriousness, I think it speaks to his understanding of the game. His ego doesn't get in the way of letting those with more expertise handle the offense. The defense showed some Lovie-ness last year, hoping they resemble his vision even more this year.

Oh, and that saying: if you have two quaterbacks, you have no quarterbacks. Pretty true. There's such thing as gimmick or special packages, but those snap splits should be closer to 90/10 than 50/50. Still, having Peters and IW and Robinson is not a bad thing by any means, it's just up to the OC to figure it all out.
If anyone on the roster is close to being what Rex Grossman was in college, we should be ecstatic.

P.S. - Lovie didn't have a lot of convincing options at QB in his early years with the Bears. It's not like he had a pick of anyone and settled on Rex. He had to have Rex's back because that was his best option (and don't try to tell me Brian Griese or Kyle Orton were better options).

Deleted member 654622

D
If anyone on the roster is close to being what Rex Grossman was in college, we should be ecstatic.

P.S. - Lovie didn't have a lot of convincing options at QB in his early years with the Bears. It's not like he had a pick of anyone and settled on Rex. He had to have Rex's back because that was his best option (and don't try to tell me Brian Griese or Kyle Orton were better options).
Kyle Orton's Neck Beard was my buddy's fantasy football team name

Deleted member 645583

D
Kyle Orton's Neck Beard was my buddy's fantasy football team name
I hate when guys insist on growing beards when they have sparse facial hair. Creepy looking. Thank God I've got some heavy-duty facial hair.But I prefer clean-shaven look with a quart of Aqua Velva to finish. I hear it drives the women wild. Still waiting.

I wish I could transplant some of my beard to my balding head. Oh, well. No one's perfect, but I'm close.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
UConn is moving back to the Big East, destination of the football team TBD.

Probably has no effect on next season for them, but this is them finally coming to their senses and giving up on football for the sake of the basketball program.

One would imagine the Big East would rather be at 12 than 11. Temple ought to make the same move, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.