Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,051      
The new transfer system has turned college football upside down and the prime example of this is the Illini . On the O side of the ball a qb , a pair of wrs who hopefully might actually be able to catch a football , and a plug in o lineman . On the D side a pair of lbs who if nothing else ads quality, depth , and compition to what was a position that lacked all 3 last year .
Will any of these guys make an impression and if so how soon ? Nobody knows , but everyone of these players was a big time recruit and excellent athletes . If they can work out the kinks and come together as a team , and they have 3 games to get it done before the Huskers come calling , their is no telling how good they might become . The Huskers are the only West team I think will be drastically improved while the Boilers , Wisky , and Minny will be static at best and most likely will go backwards some this year . This could and should make these 3 very competitive and quit possibly winnable if they can get their stuff together . The other 3 @ Iowa , at Sparty , and Mich must be considered upset wins for us even if this team surpasses our wildest dreams . It all comes down to the Husker game , it will tell us everything we need to know about the great portal experiment , and whether we go bowling or not .

#1,052      
The new transfer system has turned college football upside down and the prime example of this is the Illini . On the O side of the ball a qb , a pair of wrs who hopefully might actually be able to catch a football , and a plug in o lineman . On the D side a pair of lbs who if nothing else ads quality, depth , and compition to what was a position that lacked all 3 last year .
Will any of these guys make an impression and if so how soon ? Nobody knows , but everyone of these players was a big time recruit and excellent athletes . If they can work out the kinks and come together as a team , and they have 3 games to get it done before the Huskers come calling , their is no telling how good they might become . The Huskers are the only West team I think will be drastically improved while the Boilers , Wisky , and Minny will be static at best and most likely will go backwards some this year . This could and should make these 3 very competitive and quit possibly winnable if they can get their stuff together . The other 3 @ Iowa , at Sparty , and Mich must be considered upset wins for us even if this team surpasses our wildest dreams . It all comes down to the Husker game , it will tell us everything we need to know about the great portal experiment , and whether we go bowling or not .

I promise you that the Nebraska game will not signal whether we go bowling or not. If we have 2 wins prior to that, the likelihood is no. If we have 3 wins, it will still be very much up in the air regardless of how that game turns out.

#1,053      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I promise you that the Nebraska game will not signal whether we go bowling or not. If we have 2 wins prior to that, the likelihood is no. If we have 3 wins, it will still be very much up in the air regardless of how that game turns out.

It's a little tricky to gauge where either of those teams will be next year. It COULD be a measuring stick game, but I'm pretty bullish on them and feel like they might be a 10 win runaway West winner.

#1,054      
Just Remember, We were 2-9 in 2006. We all remember what happened the next year. Hoping this is "Next Year".

#1,055      
Has an interesting conversation last night. Person I was talking to has worked directly with Lou Hernandez and has direct contact to former DB coach Paul Williams. He loves Lou. We all know he’s good, but he went through Lou’s program and still lifts like Lou taught him today. He stopped playing in a couple years ago.

On the other side, he said Paul Williams absolutely HATES Lovie. Felt he was manipulative and 2 faced. He said he found that weird because that’s so far off lovie’s persona and the fact that everyone involved with him usually loves him.

Btw, if you don’t follow Lou on Twitter he’s an awesome follow. Him and fletch are great.

#1,059      

Deleted member 29907

D
#1,060      
I will have the chance to see my first football game for the beloved since 1984 in person for the Sep 7 game at UConn! Scored 50 yard line tickets, 2nd row. While not Memorial Stadium (hoping for later this year!), I will be sporting the O&B in Hartford (or Haatfid) as we say up here. Hope to run into other alums . . . .
:hailtotheorange::illinois:

#1,061      
I'd be more inclined to have put him in the "start improving now" category if he had 1) Hired a very good D Coordinator not named Lovie Smith, and 2) Not hired his son. At this point he's made his bed and if those decisions don't work out this year - it's time to move IF we can find a replacement we feel is high odds to get us there.

Not sure why we need a DC, when Lovie is a better DC than anyone we could've hired.

#1,063      
Thinking of attending the Minnesota game on October 5th. Any advice on the best way to get tickets?

#1,065      

Deleted member 631370

D

Any list has to begin with Helton at USC. And it's not even close.

At least Bobby Bowden supports Taggart. It appears that virtually everybody in Troy wants Helton catapulted. And the advantage for Lovie is that winning 4-ish games is par for the course at Illinois. Not enough people will care or notice to make the noise needed to prompt a change.

If we only win 3 games, then I think it's clear. But 4-5 wins could very well keep him around another year.

#1,066      

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
Thinking of attending the Minnesota game on October 5th. Any advice on the best way to get tickets?
As someone who lives here, I usually go when the Illini visit the Gophers. I usually go through the secondary market. You can also get in touch with the Twin Cities Illini Club. They do generally have a block of tickets.

#1,067      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
And the advantage for Lovie is that winning 4-ish games is par for the course at Illinois. Not enough people will care or notice to make the noise needed to prompt a change.

If we only win 3 games, then I think it's clear. But 4-5 wins could very well keep him around another year.

That might be the impression you get around here, but I assure you that it's going to be loud if it falls apart again. It was pretty loud last season, if you recall.

#1,068      

Deleted member 631370

D
That might be the impression you get around here, but I assure you that it's going to be loud if it falls apart again. It was pretty loud last season, if you recall.

Granted, I'm on the east coast these days. So I'm certainly not in the know or have the pulse of those close to Illinois athletics who matter. But I just don't see a 4-5 win season generating the outrage needed to move Whitman. Esp since the national press perception of us going into the season is 4.5 wins. (and isn't that one of the betting lines?)

#1,069      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I just don't see a 4-5 win season generating the outrage needed to move Whitman.

I am healed of my usual need to argue to the death by my total confidence that this isn't true.

Now, I have my doubts about Whitman's ability to admit defeat and do what is necessary for the future of the program, but the outside impetus will be there, of that I have absolutely zero doubt.

#1,070      

Deleted member 654622

D
I am healed of my usual need to argue to the death by my total confidence that this isn't true.

Now, I have my doubts about Whitman's ability to admit defeat and do what is necessary for the future of the program, but the outside impetus will be there, of that I have absolutely zero doubt.
ya, they only win 4-5 games AND have a sub par recruiting class....its gonna be hard to remain a Lovie supporter

#1,071      
ya, they only win 4-5 games AND have a sub par recruiting class....its gonna be hard to remain a Lovie supporter
Been there. Done that. Got Lovie a contract extension.

#1,072      

breadman

Herndon, VA
It looks like FanDuel doesn't like Illinois' chances against Eastern Michigan. Here are the O/U for all of Illinois' opponents:

Akron (3.5)
UConn (2.5)
Eastern Michigan (6.5)
Nebraska (8.5)
Minnesota (6.5)
Michigan (9.5)
Wisconsin (8.5)
Purdue (8)
Rutgers (N/A)
Michigan State (7.5)
Iowa (7.5)
Northwestern (6.5)

I don't care about FanDuel's O/U. The more I look at this schedule, the more I am convincing myself that we could go into the Michy game at 5 - 0.
This year's squad of Jrs and Srs need to draw their line in the sand about Neb and say enough is enough and turn the tables on these guys this year.
Then, the Minny game becomes the early season trap game. Trying to beat a team 2 years in a row is not easy (at least for us). As for Michy, just don't blown out. So then, beyond Michy, eh...cloudy except for Rutgers, but would really like to finally also turn the tables on IOWA (I Owe the World an Apology, er, by the way). Been waiting for a Big V over them for a while.

#1,073      
but would really like to finally also turn the tables on IOWA (I Owe the World an Apology, er, by the way). Been waiting for a Big V over them for a while.

Genuine question (not trolling): Has anyone ever lost 63-0 to a team and then beat them the following year?

#1,074      

Deleted member 654622

D
Been there. Done that. Got Lovie a contract extension.
Disagree. Recruiting class looked good last year. I am in the boat that 2-3 big time recruits can make a difference more than a "solid" number or recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.