Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,176      
Interesting, he's predicting IW to start. Most of what I have read here is the scum transfer would start. We'll see.
I wouldn’t read too much into that. He seemed to be creating a false narrative based on rivers and Taylor leaving. Ultimately, we don’t know who will start. I would be surprised if it wasn’t Peters, with some plays set for Williams.

#1,177      

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
#1,178      
And I thought the Illinois preview was more optimistic than Werner's stretch to find ten reasons to be optimistic.

Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the Illinois Fighting Illini season with what you need to know.

Ultimately, I’m bullish, but for the same reason the author made the case for the juniors coming in is something to be excited about, is the reason I’m nervous. We lost hojo, boyd, Williams, Dorsey, and Roundtree from that first class (plus others I can’t think of), which, I believe would have us at or over 6 wins. Ultimately, Lovie is the one to blame, but those 6 players would have me more at ease with this season approaching.

#1,183      
It looks like Illinois is going off as 15.5- 16 point favorites over Akron. Thoughts??
Our starting quarterbacks have never taken a snap for us, and I have not seen confirmation that both are even on campus.
Therefore, confidence level at this point is not very high.
All depends on whether our offensive line can sustain a block. No block, no run, no pass. Then punt.

#1,184      

Deleted member 649710

D
All depends on whether our offensive line can sustain a block. No block, no run, no pass. Then punt.
So true. Whether Allegretti can be capably replaced is a bigger question than who is under center.

#1,185      

illini80

Forgottonia
Our starting quarterbacks have never taken a snap for us, and I have not seen confirmation that both are even on campus.
Therefore, confidence level at this point is not very high.
I’ve been wondering about Peters as well. Can anyone verify that he is here and working out?

#1,193      
Literally, all 34 writers picked us last. Ouch. I don't think even our most pessimistic posters are that pessimistic. Won't take much to beat expectations.

#1,194      
Literally, all 34 writers picked us last. Ouch. I don't think even our most pessimistic posters are that pessimistic. Won't take much to beat expectations.
Someone will surely draw a distinction between pessimism and realism. In their minds, each and every writer is being realistic. The team will need to show them they are wrong.

#1,195      

Deleted member 654622

D
Someone will surely draw a distinction between pessimism and realism. In their minds, each and every writer is being realistic. The team will need to show them they are wrong.
If you see what outsiders see, why would anyone think improvement is coming? We lost our starting QB, we lost our best player (bobby), otherwise roster stays the same. Until transfers across the country start making some big impacts regularly, I don't think they are considered much in the grand scheme of things. I don't believe that, just trying to look at it from their perspective

#1,196      
Ultimately, I’m bullish, but for the same reason the author made the case for the juniors coming in is something to be excited about, is the reason I’m nervous. We lost hojo, boyd, Williams, Dorsey, and Roundtree from that first class (plus others I can’t think of), which, I believe would have us at or over 6 wins. Ultimately, Lovie is the one to blame, but those 6 players would have me more at ease with this season approaching.
Wait, Lovie is to blame for Roundtree and the ones that were given multiple chances to get it together?

#1,198      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Iowa State only beat them by 13 last year at home. Northwestern only beat them by 5 at home.

New coach though, and they rank 101st in the country in returning production. (We're 16th FWIW, that's where all of my optimism comes from)

Their Vegas over/under for wins is 3.5, which is second to last in the MAC.

Vegas hates Akron, which means that if we're only a two touchdown favorite at home, Vegas hates us too, but we already knew that given our frankly insane opening over/under of 3.

As this board's finest purveyor of stupidity, I think Vegas is overly pessimistic on the Illini. I like us to cover that spread against Akron and win 6 games this year.

#1,199      

reopseed60

Naples, Florida
What do outsiders to the program really know? They write articles based heavily on last years performance and players with very little research on new changed talent. We are heavy on running backs, that almost led the conference, with a quarterback this year who has won games in the big 10 and has been well trained to run a game plan. Granted we are unproven at receivers but they are from a major program and have seen success and know what it takes to win. They must have seen something at Illinois to have switched. Yes I bleed orange and blue but I believe more in the Smith brothers than a bunch of writers who usually just write repetition with no real research.

#1,200      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
What do outsiders to the program really know? They write articles based heavily on last years performance and players with very little research on new changed talent. We are heavy on running backs, that almost led the conference, with a quarterback this year who has won games in the big 10 and has been well trained to run a game plan. Granted we are unproven at receivers but they are from a major program and have seen success and know what it takes to win. They must have seen something at Illinois to have switched. Yes I bleed orange and blue but I believe more in the Smith brothers than a bunch of writers who usually just write repetition with no real research.

Cough drop guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.