Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.hudl.com/v/2Aw5PZ

Just watched his sr yr highlights...granted they are highlights but I really liked what I saw. He has great hands, has great size, is physical, and has speed. He seems more like a point A to point B type of speedster versus one that can juke and move all around. I saw him willing to take risks which is good but can also be a liability if he isn't successful. And only having a couple of years of experience it makes me wonder what his learning curve will be like when he starts working. I really like this pick up. Obviously the staff sees a lot of potential and we maybe picked another one up under the radar!

Obviously the article is wrong. :cool:

I think we win 7 and make a bowl game this year.

86B336C1-EF00-4F59-88E2-326C8B86CA70.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 29907

D
http://www.hudl.com/v/2Aw5PZ

Just watched his sr yr highlights...granted they are highlights but I really liked what I saw. He has great hands, has great size, is physical, and has speed. He seems more like a point A to point B type of speedster versus one that can juke and move all around. I saw him willing to take risks which is good but can also be a liability if he isn't successful. And only having a couple of years of experience it makes me wonder what his learning curve will be like when he starts working. I really like this pick up. Obviously the staff sees a lot of potential and we maybe picked another one up under the radar!
Apart from the risks he took (probably not bad moves given its High School ball) he really seems to have a high FBIQ for only having played a short time. This looks to be a great pickup on our part.

Most think this offer is a flier, the more I read, the more I don’t think it is. It is a signal of how hard the staff works st watching film and identifying talent and having ears on the ground in important states. Plus, they had to keep it a secret. This is phenomenal recruiting and the staff has consistently shown that they can uncover unknown gems and develop them into football players.
Yes, beating out South Alabama in the nick of time was a phenomenal job by the staff. This whole recruitment was nothing short of a miracle. The staffs at Alabama, Georgia and Florida State must've been fishing when Witherspoon was awarded the NW FL defensive player of the year by WEAR. Good thing the Illini staff can keep a secret. The staff at Mississippi State was probably too embarrassed to admit they recruited the wrong guy since they signed Witherspoon's teammate at safety. It just blows my mind that no other P5 schools found this unknown gem playing 6A ball in NW Florida. All of this makes me think a greater power was at work.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Yes, beating out South Alabama in the nick of time was a phenomenal job by the staff. This whole recruitment was nothing short of a miracle. The staffs at Alabama, Georgia and Florida State must've been fishing when Witherspoon was awarded the NW FL defensive player of the year by WEAR. Good thing the Illini staff can keep a secret. The staff at Mississippi State was probably too embarrassed to admit they recruited the wrong guy since they signed Witherspoon's teammate at safety. It just blows my mind that no other P5 schools found this unknown gem playing 6A ball in NW Florida. All of this makes me think a greater power was at work.

Pretty early to be throwing shade, no? lol though, well done.

If Witherspoon becomes a legit option (down the road a bit), I think 99% of us will be happy.

Yes, we are competing with Alabama, Florida state, and Georgia. We have comparable programs. And you are right, the staff hasn’t found any gems. Sydney brown, Nate Hobbs, Bennett Williams, Quan Martin. To name a few.

Whether or not you think the program is on the right track, the staff has consistently found undervalued recruits. We won’t know about this recruit for at least a year, but everything I have seen and read, this looks like a similar pickup to Sydney brown.

Pretty early to be throwing shade, no? lol though, well done.

If Witherspoon becomes a legit option (down the road a bit), I think 99% of us will be happy.
Gonna repost this as it appears I posted it too early. Staff has proven they can find diamonds in the rough.

View attachment 4646
OK, let me clarify my post, because apparently some of you are taking it the wrong way. I have nothing against Witherspoon or the staff (the hiring of Miles Smith excepted, of course). But to call the recruitment of a player with no other P5 offers "phenomenal" is a bit much. And then to say that Witherspoon was some "unknown gem" [not sure how the NW FL defensive player of the year award fits in to the unknown part], who only because our staff, "watching film and identifying talent and having ears on the ground in important states" [just like Lord Varys' little birds], was able to, in secret [presumably, less other P5 teams get in on the recruitment], pluck him out of the backwaters of NW FL 6A football..., well, I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

I think we win 7 and make a bowl game this year.

I've been chewing on Lovie's words in Chicago. Isn't that what a Lovie version of shouting from the rooftops looks like?

Also, I just need some positive freaking energy. I'm tempted to call seven wins based purely on the fact that it would be a much funner ride were it to come true, than if I start from the dark mental place of four wins.

So screw it, I'm with you FiveStar. My post-Chicago but pre-camp guess-wishtimate is 7-5. I think it clicks at camp and we see a completely different D. And if Williams redshirts I'd rather see him get snaps in the final four games than the first few. Let him get comfortable.

Deleted member 654622

D
So screw it, I'm with you FiveStar. My post-Chicago but pre-camp guess-wishtimate is 7-5. I think it clicks at camp and we see a completely different D. And if Williams redshirts I'd rather see him get snaps in the final four games than the first few. Let him get comfortable.
So 3 non conference games
Home vs Nebraska
At Mich St
At Purdue
Home vs Northwestern
?

If the team gets to 4-1 through the first five games--which is not that huge of a stretch--then I am confident in bowling. 3-2 and you're still very much alive but will have an uphill battle that requires Rutgers and a couple of upsets.

Win the non-cons (not a given), win against Nebraska at home OR at Minnesota, and this team will have confidence and be rolling. I would then take Rutgers, unknown upset (e.g. Purdue, Wisconsin), and minor upset against Northwestern to get them to 7. Only get one upset and you're still bowling at 6-6.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Minnesota

Yes to this!!
I believe this is one of many challenges for this team this year.
We took care of them big time last year at our home.
Now, they are home with a big chip on their shoulders.
The boys must step up at this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.