Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
No way we IW redshirts. It’ll mess up the future qb depth with Dixon on board
If he can't even throw a slant pass right now because he is "swimming", give the reps to someone else. I really think he will be good, but don't force him on the field. If Peters is the best option (which I think he will be) for the next two years, Peters should be playing. If then CJ or Robinson or hell even Coran are better options, they get the reps. Earn it

No way we IW redshirts. It’ll mess up the future qb depth with Dixon on board
If the offense is performing with Peters, I think iw will sit. Mostly because Peters will be getting all first team reps to work on timing. This is still a passing offense with no time together. If the offense struggles, iw will start to work in with small sets. That’s my prediction. If Peters gets injured, I would guess Robinson gets the first shot

Deleted member 645583

D
One more thing: Dre got married! I hope wifey isn't fattening him up. Stick with the football food regimen for now, Dre, get fat later.

Illini seem to be OK at RB. But can't you take one of them to become a cornerback in light of Beason season-ending surgery? After all, the CB position is pretty much a running back position somewhat in reverse.

Hang in there, Mr. Beason - and Dre.

Go ILLINI!

Deleted member 645583

D
Re: previous post.

A CB has to crave the idea of interceptions. Tackling first, but oh those interceptions.

Deleted member 590820

D
Article in Champaign NG the other day said a QB from BC transferred to Rutgers. Originally was denied eligibility, appealed, wa la, eligible. Was similar to Luke Ford situation. Writer said Illinois needs to see what Rutgers did. Anyone see that and know of the similarities and differences? Certainly not an elite program so that’s not relevant.

Re: previous post.

A CB has to crave the idea of interceptions. Tackling first, but oh those interceptions.

Defensive backs who "crave" interceptions scare me. Defensive ends who "crave" sacks scare me.
Do your job; and don't be self-centered. That means that you shouldn't take unnecessary risks that could lead to big gains for the offense that you and your teammates (in unison) are trying to stop.

Defensive backs who "crave" interceptions scare me. Defensive ends who "crave" sacks scare me.
Do your job; and don't be self-centered. That means that you shouldn't take unnecessary risks that could lead to big gains for the offense that you and your teammates (in unison) are trying to stop.
The job of a CB is to stop receivers from catching passes and tackle them asap if they catch it. Interceptions are one way to stop receivers from catching the ball and is a part of the job description. Incerceptions also have a demoralizing effect on the quarterback, the receiver and the coaching staff. The only guarantee that the opposition cannot score. I have never seen a CB who gets a lot of interceptions who is not a good cover guy.
The job decription of a defensive end is to make tackles mostly near the line of scrimmage or behind it and to put pressure on the quarterback, sacks are the ulimate pressure. When DE put maximum pressure on the qb the qb's interception to completion ratio goes down drastically. I love interceptions and sacks.

If he can't even throw a slant pass right now because he is "swimming", give the reps to someone else. I really think he will be good, but don't force him on the field. If Peters is the best option (which I think he will be) for the next two years, Peters should be playing. If then CJ or Robinson or hell even Coran are better options, they get the reps. Earn it
Not starting does not mean not playing. Both Rod Smith and Lovie Smith are smart enough to know that they have to give IW playing time at quarterback. IW is the future of this team and did well in training camp, but he is a true freshman who has never thrown a pass in college. From what I saw and read IW who threw for over 8,000 yards in HS made many difficult throws and outshined all but the steady grad student Peters in training camp. A smart coach can anticipate that the team needs a good number two qb in case Peters gets injured or he does well and leaves for the NFL at the end of the season. I predict theres no way Peters returns next year in any scenario. IW will be a better passing Randel El.

Not starting does not mean not playing. Both Rod Smith and Lovie Smith are smart enough to know that they have to give IW playing time at quarterback. IW is the future of this team and did well in training camp, but he is a true freshman who has never thrown a pass in college. From what I saw and read IW who threw for over 8,000 yards in HS made many difficult throws and outshined all but the steady grad student Peters in training camp. A smart coach can anticipate that the team needs a good number two qb in case Peters gets injured or he does well and leaves for the NFL at the end of the season. I predict theres no way Peters returns next year in any scenario. IW will be a better passing Randel El.

IMO if Peters doesn’t return next year, neither does Lovie. I think that means the season went poorly and he didn’t want to go through it again.

Deleted member 654622

D
From what I saw and read IW who threw for over 8,000 yards in HS made many difficult throws and outshined all but the steady grad student Peters in training camp
That is not the reports I read. He needs to earn it. This isnt high school football. What he did then doesn't matter. Matt Robinson will be the 2nd string qb

Deleted member 656517

D
That is not the reports I read. He needs to earn it. This isnt high school football. What he did then doesn't matter. Matt Robinson will be the 2nd string qb
It does kind of matter... IW can play and everyone knows it. The bar has been set higher, and the Illini will no longer settle for mac level QBs to lead a bottom level squad

It does kind of matter... IW can play and everyone knows it. The bar has been set higher, and the Illini will no longer settle for mac level QBs to lead a bottom level squad

I think IW will be great but at this point throw his 4*’s, Missouri HS PoY awards, and HS stats out the window. All that matters is his practice reps and how he shows against Peters, Robinson, and Taylor.

I’m not sure IW’s HS career is the best proxy for NCAA FB - someone like Matt Robinson’s HS days were probably better for NCAA prep. TCHS is a small class Missouri school that was absolutely loaded with talent. He played alongside at least 6 other D1 players on his offense against a bunch of schools with 500 kid enrollments. TCHS didn’t even face a competitive class 3 Missouri team until the state title game. They played two other legit competitive teams with the nationally ranked school from Georgia and ESTL from Illinois (a second round playoff team in IHSA).

Again, I think IW will develop into our QB1. Frankly I hope he gets there by mid season and is pushing Peters for PT such that Peters questions returning in 2020 - that means we are in a great spot. It is not a bad thing he is third string now - freshman need time at QB - a generational savant like Trevor Lawrence didn’t even take over until half way through the year... right now the consensus #1 Hs QB recruit for 2019 Rattler was named 3rd string at OU coming out of camp.

Deleted member 654622

D
what? That is great and all but once he steps on the practice field for ILL, his HS stats do not matter. First I want to make it clear that I think Isaiah will be an awesome QB. However, Matt Robinson was a very successful HS QB against much better competition than IW played against. And Matt had better throwing numbers. He isn't the runner Isaiah is by no means, but is also isn't a slouch. According to the reports, he is the best at the read option currently. If Isaiah isn't better all around than Matt or Coran in practice, then he doesn't need to be given those game reps. That would go against everything the staff has been preaching. Earn your spot

EDIT: Sorry, TDCumm16 basically beat me to this point

Deleted member 654622

D
Since we are on the conversation about QB debt chart. I really hope Coran Taylor sticks it out. I don't know if he will ever be a starter for ILL. But at 6'3 200ishlbs, great runner and gamer, he holds a lot of potential to be Rod Smith's next Khalil Tate. That is IF he can learn to read defenses and be adequate at throwing the football. He has a lot of current competition and for sure more coming through the pipeline. Just saying, red shirt freshman, I haven't forgotten about him

Since we are on the conversation about QB debt chart. I really hope Coran Taylor sticks it out. I don't know if he will ever be a starter for ILL. But at 6'3 200ishlbs, great runner and gamer, he holds a lot of potential to be Rod Smith's next Khalil Tate. That is IF he can learn to read defenses and be adequate at throwing the football. He has a lot of current competition and for sure more coming through the pipeline. Just saying, red shirt freshman, I haven't forgotten about him

With the significance of QB transfers will be interesting to watch. I’d imagine a lot depends on IW and if both Taylor and/or Robinson find themselves behind him on the depth chart with no path to starting in their careers

I don’t know why but I see Robinson wanting to start D1. I see him sticking around at least through graduation and potentially seeking out a final season transfer to start if he is behind IW at that point

Taylor is definitely more of a wildcard. A lot depends on how much he enjoys the team and values being in Big10, but if stays 3rd or 4th on the depth chart at some point an athletic kid like him with a few years of Rod Smith tutelage could likely go be a star for a few years at a school like Illinois State, Northern Iowa, etc

How would Coran fare as a DB? Would his athleticism help him make the transition (assuming he asks the staff).

IMO if Peters doesn’t return next year, neither does Lovie. I think that means the season went poorly and he didn’t want to go through it again.
I think Peters came to the Illini as a business decision, not that I blame him. No reason to play more than one year, not for a him. Get paid young man and pass the baton after this season barring injury. I also think IW is much better than Robinson. Last year many posters wanted Robinson to be number one, but he ended up 3rd string. He cannot make many throws that IW can and is not acceptionally elusive or as fast as IW or as good a runner. In Training Camp Robinson had the advantage of 2019 Spring Football and playing back up last year, yet he was underwhelming and did not show flashes of brilliance as did IW. Robinson was not good in the Spring after playing in RS' system last year. I wish the kid well but barring injury, I do not see him getting beyond 3rd string.

I think Peters came to the Illini as a business decision, not that I blame him. No reason to play more than one year, not for a him. Get paid young man and pass the baton after this season barring injury. I also think IW is much better than Robinson. Last year many posters wanted Robinson to be number one, but he ended up 3rd string. He cannot make many throws that IW can and is not as elusive or as fast as IW or as good a runner. In Training Camp Robinson had the advantage of 2019 Spring Football and playing back up last year, yet he was underwhelming and did not show flashes of brilliance as did IW. Robinson was not good in the Spring after playing in RS' system last year. I wish the kid well but barring injury, I do not see him getting beyond 3rd string.

Status
Not open for further replies.