Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 631370

D
So you're saying we have a chance.
I can understand why we're rated so low in the division. We earned that. I think we have the pieces in place to surprise some folks, but it will be a surprise.
Time to earn some respect this year I think. The kids are going to have to work their collective buttocks off, but I think it's possible, and that's more than I've been able to say in many years, which is nice.

The schedule is definitely favorable.

Our crossover opponents are Michigan, MSU, and Rutgers. No cakewalk by any means, but any time we get Rutgers is a plus. It could have been Ohio State or Penn State.

The OOC opponents are charmin soft this year. That should be 3 wins right off the bat.

And the Big Ten West is still questionable.

This is the kind of season that should be exciting for Illini fans in that there's genuine reason for optimism, there are enough almost-guaranteed wins on the schedule to ensure that bowl talk is warranted, and most of our other games are at least within the realm of the possible (minus Michigan and probably @ MSU and @ Iowa).

The schedule is definitely favorable.

Our crossover opponents are Michigan, MSU, and Rutgers. No cakewalk by any means, but any time we get Rutgers is a plus. It could have been Ohio State or Penn State.

The OOC opponents are charmin soft this year. That should be 3 wins right off the bat.

And the Big Ten West is still questionable.

This is the kind of season that should be exciting for Illini fans in that there's genuine reason for optimism, there are enough almost-guaranteed wins on the schedule to ensure that bowl talk is warranted, and most of our other games are at least within the realm of the possible (minus Michigan and probably @ MSU and @ Iowa).
Minnesota and Nebraska will be improved, Purdue shouldn't drop off too much. I dont think we are guarenteed more than 3 wins, with a 4th likely. 5 will probably happen based at least somewhat on luck. 6 is a real stretch though. I think this season rests solely on the defense. If they can prove to be better than like 12th in the B1G, I see us winning 6, but that is a huge step forward and even though we have some young talent influxing this year, the success pretty much hinges on development of returning guys. That isn't something I'd bet a lot on.

I think our o line and run game will be good enough to keep us in a lot of games, but that doesn't always work when you're giving up a touchdown on every drive.

Just a few tidbits I gleaned after running into a couple of current players who will start/get major tick. First off I would like to say they are both Great Ambassadors for our University!
Team very motivated to succeed for Bobby and Themselves.

Asked about what they thought of Lou, they both laughed and said they Hate him, but they Love him cause they know he is making them better.

DT's are going to be deep and going to wear down opposing O lines w/rotations.

Linebackers Mo, Dele, and Hansen, watch out for them and the new adds.

DB's Expecting alot from them, lots of speed and exciting new adds.

Offense Too early to tell on Qb's and new recievers but they will have many diverse options play calling wise.

Corbin is Corbin and with this experienced O line nuff said!

Epstein is healthy and ready to go!

I was excited to meet them and asked what came to me, I thought of other questions but after our talk. May get a few more options to ask more in time.

So can we win 2 of 5 looking at Nebraska, Purdue, The PJ Fleck Sculling Team, Indiana, and the Mildcats? Which two are the most likely to fall victim to us?

Midseason will depend almost entirely on who is injured for which game. We have comparable talent to Purdue, Minneosta, and Northwestern at this point. Our top end will be a little better. But an injury on the oline could potentially derail the season. Similar can happen with their teams key players. But their depth will be a bit more robust.

Just a few tidbits I gleaned after running into a couple of current players who will start/get major tick. First off I would like to say they are both Great Ambassadors for our University!
Team very motivated to succeed for Bobby and Themselves.

Asked about what they thought of Lou, they both laughed and said they Hate him, but they Love him cause they know he is making them better.

DT's are going to be deep and going to wear down opposing O lines w/rotations.

Linebackers Mo, Dele, and Hansen, watch out for them and the new adds.

DB's Expecting alot from them, lots of speed and exciting new adds.

Offense Too early to tell on Qb's and new recievers but they will have many diverse options play calling wise.

Corbin is Corbin and with this experienced O line nuff said!

Epstein is healthy and ready to go!

I was excited to meet them and asked what came to me, I thought of other questions but after our talk. May get a few more options to ask more in time.

Great info! Pretty awesome to hear

Minnesota and Nebraska will be improved, Purdue shouldn't drop off too much. I dont think we are guarenteed more than 3 wins, with a 4th likely. 5 will probably happen based at least somewhat on luck. 6 is a real stretch though. I think this season rests solely on the defense. If they can prove to be better than like 12th in the B1G, I see us winning 6, but that is a huge step forward and even though we have some young talent influxing this year, the success pretty much hinges on development of returning guys. That isn't something I'd bet a lot on.

I think our o line and run game will be good enough to keep us in a lot of games, but that doesn't always work when you're giving up a touchdown on every drive.

The defense will need to make more stops, but the offense can’t give away 2.5 turnovers per game either. Our defense caused roughly 2X more turnovers last season than any season in a long time. but we still gave away the ball more than we took it away. The defense will need to improve, but the offense will need significant improvement as well

reopseed60

Naples, Florida
I'm not so sure this will be the case (I hope it is). Although we saw flashes of potential on offense, the offense was mostly mediocre. Add to it that the offense was one of the worst at turning the ball over (2.2 giveaways per game) and that exacerbates the defense's struggles (which were horrifically bad). Ultimately, the defense adds one year of experience to almost every position, which suggests we should see an uptick in performance. Also, the defense has enough depth that freshmen like Randolph and Coleman shouldn't be needed to play if they are not ready. Given that we hung with a lot of good teams through three quarters (e.g., Penn State), suggests the depth and experience could pay off this year. Unfortunately, the person running our offense is going to have little to no experience. We will see a new look at receiver. And, depending on our QB, the other team may be able to stack the box. Add the loss of Larry Boyd, and we have a steep drop off on the OL with an injury. Fortunately, Rod is a phenomenal coach and I believe will get the team up to speed, but I do not think we will be the second best offense in the Big Ten. I believe we will start roughly as good as last year, with an uptick given the infusion of talent. I just hope the maturity and depth on defense and Lovie getting his hands on the scheming will help us see a jump from irrelevance to mediocrity on defense. This would equate to roughly a bowl game. That is my hope for the year, 5-7 wins. Then next year, 10 wins.

Agree generally with your positions, but I think you under estimate the effect a quarterback like Peter's can bring to the overall offense. We had a minimal passing attack last year, yet almost led the league in rushing. If we can get 200/ 250 yards passing a game we will absolutely be a bowl threat. That, and some Lovie improvement with the defense, which I believe will happen. We finally have size,age, and depth to match with the West division

Agree generally with your positions, but I think you under estimate the effect a quarterback like Peter's can bring to the overall offense. We had a minimal passing attack last year, yet almost led the league in rushing. If we can get 200/ 250 yards passing a game we will absolutely be a bowl threat. That, and some Lovie improvement with the defense, which I believe will happen. We finally have size,age, and depth to match with the West division

I agree. The offense will be improved. Particularly by the end of the season. We have very talented qbs and receivers. Early in the season none of the qbs or receivers will have had much time working together. That could be problematic. Peters hasn’t had the playbook for long or figured out the offense yet. There will be growing pains. But the ceiling of this offensive unit is very high. I would prefer the easier big 10 games were late, but maybe we can shock teams down the stretch?

V
I agree. The offense will be improved. Particularly by the end of the season. We have very talented qbs and receivers. Early in the season none of the qbs or receivers will have had much time working together. That could be problematic. Peters hasn’t had the playbook for long or figured out the offense yet. There will be growing pains. But the ceiling of this offensive unit is very high. I would prefer the easier big 10 games were late, but maybe we can shock teams down the stretch?
Very important training camp for offense to get acclimated, and Lovie installing his D and setting His tone on D, also maybe we can shock a few teams early in big and agree on most.

V
Very important training camp for offense to get acclimated, and Lovie installing his D and setting His tone on D, also maybe we can shock a few teams early in big and agree on most.

Agree. It's going to be fun to see the first day of practice tomorrow. Can't wait to see how the QB's and WR's do. Can I PLZ see some catches?!?!? Be interesting to see who has the chemistry in ten days or so.

Agree. It's going to be fun to see the first day of practice tomorrow. Can't wait to see how the QB's and WR's do. Can I PLZ see some catches?!?!? Be interesting to see who has the chemistry in ten days or so.
Please update us your thoughts. Thanks ahead of time.

Deleted member 654622

D
I am extremely excited to see Trevon Sydney in this offense. If you look at what Dudek did in game 1 before the injury, what Stampley was able to do (when he caught the ball), it makes me giddy. Now someone with Sydney's talent and athleticism..... We will be a better balanced offense

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Running, or combined running and receiving?

Sorry, I had to ask.
To clarify, I didn't mean each running back with 3000 yards, but an average of 1000+ for 3 backs. And yes, including non-con games (bowl game would count too, just to give me a little more of a chance). 250 yards/game rushing is a lot, but can be done.

FT35

Naperville
IsaiahWilliamsIllinois.jpg

I read a twitter post by a reporter (hardcore source I know) saying the illini are implementing a wishbone this season. Anyone heard this news? I figure if we are trying to run the triple option, Peters probably isn't the best candidate.

Maybe it was a joke and this is a useless post, but it would be an interesting wrinkle (and I know people on this forum love thinking about triple options here.)

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
To clarify, I didn't mean each running back with 3000 yards, but an average of 1000+ for 3 backs. And yes, including non-con games (bowl game would count too, just to give me a little more of a chance). 250 yards/game rushing is a lot, but can be done.
That would be amazing. I don't think we've ever done that. I think the closest we came to having that kind of ground attack would have been 07 with Mendenhall, Juice, and Dufrene or 2010 with LeShoure, Scheelhaase, and Ford. We've never come close with 3 RB's.

I usually support rese writing but this is unacceptable mike Epstein as a 3 string running back. Mike Epstein stay he could a monster season as a 2 lead back. Him and Corbin could be illini version of thunder and lightning.

To some extent, this type of prediction is put together quickly to help people know what to watch for during training camp. By the end of camp, this should be fixed and clarified.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
That would be amazing. I don't think we've ever done that. I think the closest we came to having that kind of ground attack would have been 07 with Mendenhall, Juice, and Dufrene or 2010 with LeShoure, Scheelhaase, and Ford. We've never come close with 3 RB's.
I just see one around 1300, another 1000 another 700. Don't want to predict who. I just think that we have enough weapons out wide now, that defenses will have to play it honest. Plus, the non-con, a lot of opportunity to run it down their throats.

Now that chase brown is official, great job to the person on the board that noticed the Rb lunch picture this summer and noticed chase in the picture (what most of us thought was Sydney). Can’t believe no articles broke on that picture from Illini beat writers

Just saw some of chase’s highlights from last year and his film looked very impressive. He has burst, power, willingness and ability to block, and is shifty. And this is as a true freshman. The most impressive thing is that as 3rd string RB, he was able to run 35-40 yards on Michigan and Syracuse. I think him and love in a few years are going to be our next duo of potential nfl caliber running backs. Wait til he gets a year with Lou in the weight room!

Status
Not open for further replies.