Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Just saw some of chase’s highlights from last year and his film looked very impressive. He has burst, power, willingness and ability to block, and is shifty. And this is as a true freshman. The most impressive thing is that as 3rd string RB, he was able to run 35-40 yards on Michigan and Syracuse. I think him and love in a few years are going to be our next duo of potential nfl caliber running backs. Wait til he gets a year with Lou in the weight room!

Yeah, this has steal written all over it. Very good add.

I read a twitter post by a reporter (hardcore source I know) saying the illini are implementing a wishbone this season. Anyone heard this news? I figure if we are trying to run the triple option, Peters probably isn't the best candidate.

Maybe it was a joke and this is a useless post, but it would be an interesting wrinkle (and I know people on this forum love thinking about triple options here.)
Uhhh no

Deleted member 631370

D
I just see one around 1300, another 1000 another 700. Don't want to predict who. I just think that we have enough weapons out wide now, that defenses will have to play it honest. Plus, the non-con, a lot of opportunity to run it down their throats.

I hope like heck it happens. But I'd be stunned if it did. That's 250 yards/game for those 3 dudes.......for context, we averaged 244 a game last year as a team. And that's with AJ Bush running the ball, who is a lot more mobile and run-oriented than Brandon Peters.

What's not being factored here is the likelihood that our defense is going to have problems getting off the field. And we're going to find ourselves frantically playing catch-up in a lot of games, I'm afraid. That's going to ensure that we throw the ball a whole lot in second halves of games, and it'll probably reduce our ability to control the clock and the line of scrimmage to our liking.

Thoughts from watching camp today: (remember no pads today and mostly 7 on 7 and 2 hand touch type of stuff the last half hour).

QB: -Peters is the guy so far. Strongest arm and most consistent. He's also a legit 6'5. Also has enough wheels to move a little in the pocket.
-Matt Robinson is the number 2 right now imho. Smith gave him first team reps today when the linemen came over to run plays.
-Williams is the clear #3. Sorry to burst bubbles. He has wheels but was behind on a lot of throws and under threw several guys. Just a young blood tbh. He will get better with time.

O-Line: Can't tell much bc no pads today but the drills were mean. I like their aggressiveness.

Backs: Cumby is FAST. Everything else as expected. Only eh moment is it seemed like Epstein had a rough day making catches.

Receivers: Sidney looked legit with his routes. Smalling looking nice too. Casey Washington was my surprise. Made some legit catches and snatches today no matter how off the throw was. Also really liked Jordan Holmes.

Defense: Can't say much bc again it was no pads. Mostly did alignment and fundamental things. When they went against the offense the last half hour you could definitely see the improvement in speed. But with nothing live it's hard to judge yet.

One last thing: Rod Smith was such a huge hire. I know we all know that already but wow. The guy is demanding and never takes his foot off the gas. I love his intensity. Really a good balance to Lovie's stoic approach.

All in all I'm still pretty excited about the season. The guys are hungry. You could just feel it in the air. Go Illini.

Thoughts from watching camp today: (remember no pads today and mostly 7 on 7 and 2 hand touch type of stuff the last half hour).

QB: -Peters is the guy so far. Strongest arm and most consistent. He's also a legit 6'5. Also has enough wheels to move a little in the pocket.
-Matt Robinson is the number 2 right now imho. Smith gave him first team reps today when the linemen came over to run plays.
-Williams is the clear #3. Sorry to burst bubbles. He has wheels but was behind on a lot of throws and under threw several guys. Just a young blood tbh. He will get better with time.

O-Line: Can't tell much bc no pads today but the drills were mean. I like their aggressiveness.

Backs: Cumby is FAST. Everything else as expected. Only eh moment is it seemed like Epstein had a rough day making catches.

Receivers: Sidney looked legit with his routes. Smalling looking nice too. Casey Washington was my surprise. Made some legit catches and snatches today no matter how off the throw was. Also really liked Jordan Holmes.

Defense: Can't say much bc again it was no pads. Mostly did alignment and fundamental things. When they went against the offense the last half hour you could definitely see the improvement in speed. But with nothing live it's hard to judge yet.

One last thing: Rod Smith was such a huge hire. I know we all know that already but wow. The guy is demanding and never takes his foot off the gas. I love his intensity. Really a good balance to Lovie's stoic approach.

All in all I'm still pretty excited about the season. The guys are hungry. You could just feel it in the air. Go Illini.
Thanks for report!

To those who have been to the last couple camps, do we legitimately look bigger, stronger, faster all around?

I’d imagine a large portion of our roster should look like men out there.

I predict the 2019 team wins at least 8 games and resembles the 2007 team that won 9 games after winning only two games the previous year. I believe the offense scores lots of points with the many weapons they have in the skill positions and with the best offensive line in the B1g this year. I also do not believe the defense will resemble the defense from 2018. This defense will not give up 60 points to Iowa or Penn State or Purdue. I think the first game might be shaky but after the first game, its on. I am not as high on the 4 win Nebraska team dominating the West Division. I don't see it. I also don't see many teams on the schedule that cause me great concern. Michigan is the one of the two teams I am concerned about, but that game is at home, perhaps the Illini can upset the maize and blue. Iowa is the other team that concerns me, but only because Illinois always struggles with that team whether the Illini are a better or worse team. Illinois goes from worst to first in the West just like the 2007 team. Just one man's prediction and I am taking it to Vegas. Don't be too hard on me fellas, I know my predictions are out there, but I also predicted the 2007 team would win 7 or 8 games and they won 9 after winning only two games the previous year.

T

Thanks a bunch, are you going to see anymore camp? Appreciate the updates.

I don't think there is a team on the schedule other than Michigan that will have an offense as good as the Illini this year. A lot of media pundits are drooling over Nebby but I don't really see it. Defense please just be mediocre instead of god awful.

7 wins.

Jeff Brohm says hi lol

David Blough and most of the offensive line say Goodbye!

Have Jeff give our man Rod a call for pointers against Minnesota.

You’re right. I don’t want to get in the way of all of you guys’ ten win/3000 yard rushing/2nd in the big ten in offense seasons lol.

We may lose to Minnesota. What do you think will happen when we play you

Does anyone know what Mikey Dudek is doing? Is his injury healed up? I know his football career is “over”, but if he was feeling good and had some speed and perhaps was in grad school, let’s put him at punt returner against Nebraska... what’s to lose except tens of thousands of fans voices cheering for that. It would top ESPN for a week.

Deleted member 631370

D
You’re right. I don’t want to get in the way of all of you guys’ ten win/3000 yard rushing/2nd in the big ten in offense seasons lol.

I think it's cute that Purdue fans are suddenly crowing about football.

A few 6-win seasons will do that, I guess. Nevermind the EPIC beatdown at the hands of 5-loss Auburn.

Come on, Boiler friend. You all have a ways to go before you can go to other boards and crow about football with such confidence.

Does anyone know what Mikey Dudek is doing? Is his injury healed up? I know his football career is “over”, but if he was feeling good and had some speed and perhaps was in grad school, let’s put him at punt returner against Nebraska... what’s to lose except tens of thousands of fans voices cheering for that. It would top ESPN for a week.
He helped coaching midwest boom 7 on 7 team

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

My longshot "Matt Robinson to start against Akron" ticket I bought at the end of last season before Rivers left or Peters arrived is still looking okay!

There are better passers in the QB group, and better runners in the QB group, but no one better at both. Robinson is the guy that puts the most options in play scheme and personnel-wise. Coaches like that.

My longshot "Matt Robinson to start against Akron" ticket I bought at the end of last season before Rivers left or Peters arrived is still looking okay!

There are better passers in the QB group, and better runners in the QB group, but no one better at both. Robinson is the guy that puts the most options in play scheme and personnel-wise. Coaches like that.
Wasn't Robinson in the same position at the start of camp last year? Assuming everyone stays healthy, I'm not buying the early "Robinson might start the season opener" talk. Especially with the running backs, experienced OL and improved receivers on this team, I'll take the better throwing qb any day of the week.

Well I guess I forgot about the titan Purdue program that went to a Rose Bowl in 2001 for my predictions...

That Minnesota game was a wild one. 😉

Really looking forward to the new season I appreciate the updates from the folks on here. I live in the South West now so I miss attending the practices in Rantoul & Champaign. Went to them quite a bit when Zook was the head coach.

I am confident we start the season 3-0 (led by a strong running game). After that...get your popcorn ready. Should be interesting for sure at least.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I couldn't figure out how to start a new post - so I'm attempting to add this here. Does anyone on here happen to know if Lovie drives a Maroon Jeep Cherokee with "LUV" as the license plate? The reason I ask is because I'm in Springfield, IL and was going to Walmart on Tuesday when I saw that vehicle and a man resembling Lovie behind the wheel - all the way down to the grey beard. I was coming, he was going - or I would have stopped and asked. I'm just curious as to whether or not I saw Lovie - and what he may have been doing in Springfield.

fyi...Robert was on Werner show this week and he mentioned Robinson as a dark horse to start at QB. I'm not surprised Robinson took the first snaps as the best returning option...but still a long way to go until opening day & the competition just started...So you still buying on Robinson starting first game? I'm not.

Status
Not open for further replies.