Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
I just watched the interview with Isaiah Williams, and he is such an impressive kid. I know he's a freshman in his first week of practice. I'm not here to predict anything about his immediate/long-term future in the program. But watching the way he talks about the man he wants to become off the field (and Lovie's influence) and the pride he takes in playing for CP again makes me even more excited to cheer for him to succeed for the beloved.

Deleted member 645583

D
Nostalgia City.

I'm an Illinoisan, but I lived near Storrs in the 70s in my wild 20s.

I recommend two restaurants near Storrs if anyone is going to the UCONN game: Cavey's In Manchester (pricey French cuisine downstairs; upstairs is Italian-American and less expensive; always has been rated very highly among restaurants in CT); and Chuck's Steakhouse in Storrs.

Re: Chuck's. It's still there! Man, did I spend a lot of time there dining and imbibing - not necessarily in that order - or imbibing-dining-imbibing or any combination. Great beef. The exterior and interior aren't as rustic now as then. It's called Chuck's Margarita Grill or something like that. Looks like they called Jimmy Buffett for input! But what a steak joint it was - and maybe still is; gets decent reviews.

When I think of Connecticut those places loom large. But I'd like to add an Illini win for another fond memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the game is in East Hartford. They stopped playing the games in Storrs several years ago.

Nice nostalgia. Thanks.

Deleted member 645583

D
I believe the game is in East Hartford. They stopped playing the games in Storrs several years ago.

Nice nostalgia. Thanks.
Thanks to you, too. But Cavey's and Chuck's are still fairly close to East Hartford, especially Cavey's in Manchester. I don't have a fond memory about East Hartford, unfortunately, except some classic diner that was open 24 hours a day.

Still, Beat the Huskies!

I respectfully disagree. Peters is a gunslinger who is more mobile than Lunt and at the very least can move around in the pocket. The backfield with Epstein, Corbin, Norwood, Cumby and others gives Rod Smith a lot of options even in the slot. And of course Sidney helps take pressure off of Smalling A LOT. OL redshirts Slaughter, Pearl, Brown, and Myers have made big gains in the weight room. One or two of them will have a big year just like Kendrick Green did last year. The offense will be better than last year. Rod Smith is going to go buck wild with this team imo.
I recently saw some footage of Peters in training camp, I have to say I was impressed he is much more mobile than you think. I think a lot of teams are in for a big surprise this year

Deleted member 654622

D
Chris steele get his waiver. And It look like bru might get his too
From the outside looking in, if this kid transferred because he didn't want to be roommates with an "accused" sexual assaulter, great for him and his character. But SOB how is this considered immediately eligible and Luke Ford is not! SOB SOB SOB

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Wow, that is a sobering thought. Better hop back off that wagon and find me some Orange Kool-Aid!

Eh? What did you expect? ~100 is fair, considering our track record (entrenched losing). These lists are 90+% based on recent history. Win more and folks will recalibrate.

Deleted member 654622

D
No way to put any lipstick on that pig. :sick:

Need to show up.

It has only been four practices, but I am really concerned about the D Line. Bobby was our only real known production. All the reports I have heard/read, our O Line is dominating them. Now, I believe we have a great O Line, especially the tackles. But damn if we cant get production from that group, we are screwed.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Eh? What did you expect? ~100 is fair, considering our track record (entrenched losing). These lists are 90+% based on recent history. Win more and folks will recalibrate.
Sorry, just adding some light hearted sarcasm to the conversation. If I were to guess, I would have thought 80 or so.

From the outside looking in, if this kid transferred because he didn't want to be roommates with an "accused" sexual assaulter, great for him and his character. But SOB how is this considered immediately eligible and Luke Ford is not! SOB SOB SOB

And there was not 1 other freshman on that team that he could live with other than the accused sexual assaulter. I played college football. My coach asked me who I wanted to room with and I was a preferred walk on. Its crazy to think that a school like Florida can't do the same for a big time recruit.....NCAA is just showing its true colors. They play favorites and no one can police them so they just do it out in the open.

Any lawyers out here that can explain what would happen if the U of I just decided to play Luke Ford under protest to the NCAA? Could they fight it later or is the NCAA just a dictatorship? Its probably a terrible dumb idea, but could courts rule that the NCAA is wrong in its ruling?

Deleted member 654622

D
How do you pronounce it? :)

And there was not 1 other freshman on that team that he could live with other than the accused sexual assaulter. I played college football. My coach asked me who I wanted to room with and I was a preferred walk on. Its crazy to think that a school like Florida can't do the same for a big time recruit.....NCAA is just showing its true colors. They play favorites and no one can police them so they just do it out in the open.
"He reportedly asked to move dorms in order to not room with quarterback Jalon Jones—who was accused of sexual battery by two students in April—but was not accommodated until the summer."

Chris had actually requested to be switched to a new roommate and the team would not accommodate him. I don't have a problem with this particular waiver being granted

Status
Not open for further replies.