Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
"He reportedly asked to move dorms in order to not room with quarterback Jalon Jones—who was accused of sexual battery by two students in April—but was not accommodated until the summer."

Chris had actually requested to be switched to a new roommate and the team would not accommodate him. I don't have a problem with this particular waiver being granted

How insane is that for a college team to deny that? I can't imagine that being true because how insane it seems to me.

It has only been four practices, but I am really concerned about the D Line. Bobby was our only real known production. All the reports I have heard/read, our O Line is dominating them. Now, I believe we have a great O Line, especially the tackles. But damn if we cant get production from that group, we are screwed.

I highly doubt that the 1s on each side are going against each other often, if at all. The 1s on the OL should be dominating the 2s on the DL and vice versa. There’s no excuse with the depth of the DL, even without BR, for them not to perform this year.

Deleted member 654622

D
I highly doubt that the 1s on each side are going against each other often, if at all. The 1s on the OL should be dominating the 2s on the DL and vice versa. There’s no excuse with the depth of the DL, even without BR, for them not to perform this year.
Interested to know why you would think the 1s would not be facing off?

I think Lovie said in the presser yesterday that they have been giving a lot of reps to the 2s because of depth concerns at almost all positions. Throwing them in the fire per se. Full pads today should sort this out more.

Also *takes sip of Orange Kool-Aid* I think we have a top 5 starting OL in the conference, maybe even better. Most DLs will struggle against that.

It has only been four practices, but I am really concerned about the D Line. Bobby was our only real known production. All the reports I have heard/read, our O Line is dominating them. Now, I believe we have a great O Line, especially the tackles. But damn if we cant get production from that group, we are screwed.

I certainly understand your concern, I have the concern as well. And I would make a few points.

1. Our offensive tackles are NFL-caliber. Imagine what our Dline would look like if roundtree were at both ends. Instead, move that to the OL. A bowl-eligible team will not necessarily need ends that can beat two NFL caliber OTs. Instead they will need great interior linemen, to stuff the run and fast CBs that can make stops. I think we have both of those.

2. Our interior line is taking time off to prevent injury and allow recovery. Take Oliver and Milan out of the rotation and add in some NFL-caliber OL and the expectation should be low. Lovie knows what he sees and we have to assume he has a game plan. He did move Oladipo to interior, which doesn't make sense unless he has a plan. The players are playing to earn a bowl game. Love is working to qualify for a bowl game.

3. Betiku is raw and is going to experience a steep learning curve. Given who he is practicing against, I think we will see him learn fast because he doesn't look like to type that likes to get beat up. I bet he will be ready for the early conference games and will have some phenomenal games early in the season against lesser competition. Hopefully that continues into the big ten season.

4. The defense is trying to get to the point where they are "qualify for a bowl game" good. The offense is preparing for an award winning season for the offense. Especially the line and RBs. Calibrate expectations accordingly.

Honestly, I think we are all worried about the defense this year, who wouldn't be. At this point, we all just gotta stay the course. These are simple business decisions. If we flop this year with 2-3 wins, we look for a new head coach. Things get more questionable at 4-5 wins (the whole picture, including future outlook, must be taken into account). 6+ and everyone's happy. We get nothing by worrying.

I worked for the team during the Zook years, so Lovie might do things differently, but there was maybe one segment during each preseason practice where 1s went against 1s. Too much of an injury risk and, to be honest, has the opportunity to expose one side as being much weaker. With 1s vs. 2s, each side should look pretty good.

So I read today is full pads day. First i remember hearing it so probably first day of full pads.

Is there an “off” day coming up? Seems like we’ve been going for a while with no break. Might be time for a recovery day.

So I read today is full pads day. First i remember hearing it so probably first day of full pads.

Is there an “off” day coming up? Seems like we’ve been going for a while with no break. Might be time for a recovery day.

Sundays are likely the only off days. Preseason typically goes six days a week, with some teams doing a few double practice days

Yesterday was off as it was just media day

Also *takes sip of Orange Kool-Aid* I think we have a top 5 starting OL in the conference, maybe even better. Most DLs will struggle against that.

Not really interested in which group would struggle against us. More interested in which group we would struggle against. Sort the groups by bad to good.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
At this point, we all just gotta stay the course. These are simple business decisions. If we flop this year with 2-3 wins, we look for a new head coach. Things get more questionable at 4-5 wins (the whole picture, including future outlook, must be taken into account).

The defining down of expectations is such a fascinating psychological process to watch happen in real time.

Imagine going back to March 2016 and telling people that Lovie would win 13 games in four years.

The defining down of expectations is such a fascinating psychological process to watch happen in real time.
Fascinating, indeed. What is the psychological term for this process, Dr. Gritty? I've also been fascinated by the lowering of my expectations of my child with learning disabilities. It's funny how that happens... and fascinating at the same time!

Imagine going back to March 2016 and telling people that Lovie would win 13 games in four years.
If I had time I'd love to go back and look at old posts from previous seasons. "Everybody knew this was going to be a long rebuild, next year is when we can expect to see results."

Is it me - or did it look like BP had a significantly better highlight reel there?
Better highlight reel than...? Except for the throw which almost ended Trevon Sidney's career, he looked pretty good. I have no doubts he can capably run this offense and Illinois is in a much better place with him on the roster.

Deleted member 29907

D
Better highlight reel than...? Except for the throw which almost ended Trevon Sidney's career, he looked pretty good. I have no doubts he can capably run this offense and Illinois is in a much better place with him on the roster.
Better than Robinson and than previous film (yes, I guess we should hope he improves practice to practice). No idea why Trevon was hit like he was - other than the defender (didn't catch the number) didn't see him and was focused on the ball.

Is it me - or did it look like BP had a significantly better highlight reel there?

Definitely haven’t watched a ton on him besides this clip but a handful of plays looked like he was loading up the ball too low mid chest leading to longer wind up. Worries me for strip sack or giving DBs a split extra second

Great point. And expectations shifted for me when i got a sense of what recruits we had following cubits tenure. Ultimately, I expect a 5 win season. But there are instances I could imagine where a 4 win season would be worth keeping Lovie. For one more year. But ultimately I think 5 or more wins stay and less he goes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.