Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
I mean I'd argue that if they thought a torn acl, they'd take him right away to get an MRI instead of letting him go back on the field.

Not much advantage to MRI right away if exam is pretty clear cut. If it's a torn ACL he isn't getting surgery tomorrow (need to preop and reduce swelling), and if it's not he's not getting on the field tomorrow either way. There's also an argument to giving it a couple days to reduce swelling to improve MRI imaging.

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
This is a facetious post, but I wonder, given our history of injuries, if they have the capability to perform MRI's in or near the stadium?
Perhaps a recent donation by a concerned fan.

There's not really a benefit of having an MRI in the stadium. MRI's cost millions, need to be staffed full time (in case of emergent need), and are easy enough to get at a hospital. Xrays are different though and many teams have xray capability within stadium.

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
I have torn my ACL three times. It is not possible to be certain of the extent of the injury until after an MRI.

While this is true in some sense, physical exam can give you a clear indication of a torn acl, MCL/LCL injuries. That's kind of the key here. Whether he's out a few weeks or a year.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Not much advantage to MRI right away if exam is pretty clear cut. If it's a torn ACL he isn't getting surgery tomorrow (need to preop and reduce swelling), and if it's not he's not getting on the field tomorrow either way. There's also an argument to giving it a couple days to reduce swelling to improve MRI imaging.
Thanks for the insight. I just feel like every report I've ever read about an injury usually has them getting an MRI the day of or the next day, but maybe I am misremembering. In your opinion though if the exam was clear cut ligament tear, would a player just be on the sideline in a brace and crutches later that practice? It sounds like that is what happened to the other poster's child.

Deleted member 654622

D
Thanks for the insight. I just feel like every report I've ever read about an injury usually has them getting an MRI the day of or the next day, but maybe I am misremembering. In your opinion though if the exam was clear cut ligament tear, would a player just be on the sideline in a brace and crutches later that practice? It sounds like that is what happened to the other poster's child.

Like I posted earlier, yes. I tore my ACL during practice. 15 min later, it did not hurt. I even told the trainer that maybe it isn't that bad. He looked at me and said you tore your ACL. My knee immediately swelled up with water and he could feel the looseness in my knee joint. I took a shower, they wrapped it in ice, and I drove a manual transmission 45 min home. My wife also tore her ACL and MCL playing volleyball. She just landed from a spike and it all popped. She walked to the ambulance, (after crying for 10 min of course)
Everyone is different, but I wont be shocked if that is what happened.

Deleted member 654622

D
They have me beat. The best I can do is colonoscopy insider.
raw

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL

Usually in these cases there is an MRI done within a day or two. It just doesn't have to be done emergently because it won't change what needs to be done. In my experience, after the trainers/doctors evaluate the player it's usually up to the player what they want to do. There's no inherent benefit to making the player be/feel isolated by preventing him from returning to practice. And, as said above, the pain usually subsides after the initial injury.

To clarify, I don't know the extent of Beason's injury. I just feel like making an assumption regarding the timing of an MRI, whether or not he returns to practice, or anything else is fairly unreliable.

There's not really a benefit of having an MRI in the stadium. MRI's cost millions, need to be staffed full time (in case of emergent need), and are easy enough to get at a hospital. Xrays are different though and many teams have xray capability within stadium.
I wonder if we get a discount given that the MRI was invented by U of I chemistry Prof. and nobel laureate Dr. Paul Lauterbur https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Lauterbur

Our guy Corbin getting no love on B1G network, not in preseason B1G offensive MVP top 5, wisky back #1.

Our guy Corbin getting no love on B1G network, not in preseason B1G offensive MVP top 5, wisky back #1.

It’s better this way. Give him something to play for.

Also, many non Illini coaches feel he is not the most talented back, but instead great within the system and he will split time with many others. Taken together it’s hard to expect mvp-caliber numbers

Deleted member 46511

D
Trainers and medical professionals don’t view crutches and knee braces as non-serious precautionary measures so no, the certainty that this situation regardless of outcome is serious in nature is quite real and legitimate.

Like I said, you might be right, but you are simply too certain, without evidence.
You offer crutches and a brace.

I offer smiles, laughter, walking without the crutches, and now a supposed Instagram post in which he says he's not out for the year.

Ironically, in the face of overwhelming evidence, I'm STILL capable of saying that it could be bad.

You, in the face of opposing evidence, choose to stick to a severe injury.

I hope that you are as wrong as your are oversure if yourself.

I-L-L

Not an MRInsider.

Also, many non Illini coaches feel he is not the most talented back, but instead great within the system and he will split time with many others. Taken together it’s hard to expect mvp-caliber numbers
Agreed, I think this will give him a chip on his shoulder, I also have a back if is healthy I look to do some damage.

Deleted member 29907

D

We have a system?

If so, can we register "THE System"?

Status
Not open for further replies.