Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
While that is certainly a fair opinion, it's still merely an opinion. The administration may feel differently. I don't have a good read on that.

And in regards to this conversation, we'll be a helluva lot more competitive with Beason than without. That's a no-brainer. Not having his type of talent at a razor thin position depth wise is simply a killer. If this "significant" injury costs him anything more than three games, we could be in real trouble.

No one knows what happens at 5 wins. I think 5 is safe. A lot will ride on pressure from alumni and Josh’s belief, based on the season, whether the future of the team looks like.

As for beason, it is a huge loss. I think out for 4 or 5 games could be ok. But we need him in the rotation at 100%. I also think Purdue and northwestern will be tossups depending on injuries. And I’d like to think we can surprise a team or two.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
From his Instagram. Does not come across as a few weeks injury.
Screenshot_20190815-225544_Instagram.jpg

Depending on what type of knee injury he ends up with, there could be a world that Beason sits out the first 8 games, plays in the final 4, then still claims a medical redshirt year.
What about the B1G championship & playoffs?

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Beason watch 2019.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190816-145314_Instagram.gif
    SmartSelect_20190816-145314_Instagram.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 707

Deleted member 29907

D
I don't want to crap in anyone Cheerios, but that looks very similar to wall slides. Which were the first stage of my ACL tear before and after surgery...
I'm not saying, I'm just saying
Wasn't aware of such a thing before surgery - you'd think they would still be at the 'let the swelling go down prior to MRI' phase and would be just icing and resting - but I've never been involved in one of these. And why would you post this then if just purely prep type work? Not saying you're not right, but it is confusing.

Deleted member 236589

D
Well, not to be Mr. Positive, but if this HAD to happen to him, I'd rather him be out all of 2019 and be back for all of 2020, then to have it happen in October and have him out half of 2019 and almost all of 2020. Redshirt him, rehab and come back strong with a full four years of eligibility in 2020.

Here's where all of the "Fletch" enthusiasts can have their time to shine and bang the drum! :)

Wasn't aware of such a thing before surgery - you'd think they would still be at the 'let the swelling go down prior to MRI' phase and would be just icing and resting - but I've never been involved in one of these. And why would you post this then if just purely prep type work? Not saying you're not right, but it is confusing.

That’s what these exercises are typically designed to do pre-surgery, stabilize the knee and reduce swelling.

They prescribe stuff like this for hard ligament strains too. Those are typically 6-8 week timeframes, using other known cases as an example. That’s very likely the only grasp of hope we have left for seeing Marquez play in 2019, as devastating as that is.

Prehab. Work out Swelling and help with stability. I got my knee scoped a couple weeks ago and I did some pre surgery stuff to. With longer term recoveries it’s supposed to help shorten them a bit I believe.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Anyone have insights on the pass rush from camp or any of the articles? One of the areas I was really hoping to see a step forward was in the pass rush. Going into 2019, it seemed like Roundtree would be the obvious answer with him taking a step forward and also allowing the other starting DE less attention in protection packages. With him out, I have serious serious concerns the defense is going to be able to pressure the QB. Lovie's system has always been dependent on getting pressure in the pocket. I really hope Gay can re-capture some of that magic from early in his freshman year.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Anyone have insights on the pass rush from camp or any of the articles? One of the areas I was really hoping to see a step forward was in the pass rush. Going into 2019, it seemed like Roundtree would be the obvious answer with him taking a step forward and also allowing the other starting DE less attention in protection packages. With him out, I have serious serious concerns the defense is going to be able to pressure the QB. Lovie's system has always been dependent on getting pressure in the pocket. I really hope Gay can re-capture some of that magic from early in his freshman year.

I've been following the Twitter camp breakdowns from media and fans pretty closely, and I've heard a lot of love for the DTs but not much for DEs. I don't think any single DE will approach Roundtree's 2018 production.

Deleted member 654622

D
I've been following the Twitter camp breakdowns from media and fans pretty closely, and I've heard a lot of love for the DTs but not much for DEs. I don't think any single DE will approach Roundtree's 2018 production.
Agreed. That is why we will be blitzing a lot this year!

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Agreed. That is why we will be blitzing a lot this year!

Has this been mentioned by the writers? Again, assuming that with Lovie in control that we will see a defense conforming to his past plans with the Cover 2, there is very little blitzing, as the foundation of his traditional Cover 2 is to create pressure from the front 4 to maximize coverage and be "assignment sound".

If he does blitz more, this seems to be a sign that the staff is moving away from his traditional Cover 2.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

This is also what I've seen, and is a major worry.

illini80

Forgottonia
Has this been mentioned by the writers? Again, assuming that with Lovie in control that we will see a defense conforming to his past plans with the Cover 2, there is very little blitzing, as the foundation of his traditional Cover 2 is to create pressure from the front 4 to maximize coverage and be "assignment sound".

If he does blitz more, this seems to be a sign that the staff is moving away from his traditional Cover 2.
I’ve heard it mentioned a couple times, but can’t say for sure whether it was Werner or Tate. It does seem like the only real option. Have to get some pressure from somewhere.

Deleted member 654622

D

Yes. Multiple people have reporting seeing a lot of blitzing from the LBs this camp. Dele and Milo per reports are the teams best blitzars

Deleted member 654622

D

I wouldn't say the staff is getting away from the traditional Cover 2 as much as they are doing what is necessary with their personal. I would expect to see they go back to the basics once a DE establishes himself

I wouldn't say the staff is getting away from the traditional Cover 2 as much as they are doing what is necessary with their personal. I would expect to see they go back to the basics once a DE establishes himself

I’ve seen quite a bit of positive press for Betiku. They say he is raw, but tenacious and will have ups and downs, but I imagine we will see some good things from him. Toward the end of week 2, he was starting to get some push through of our nfl caliber tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.