Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
So does this mean that he is more likely to redshirt in an effort to play QB his entire time here? What are the chances that they put some packages together to get the ball in his hands at least a couple times a game at RB or WR? If he has game-changing athleticism, I don't think Lovie and co. can afford to have him on the sidelines - especially in a make or break season like this one.
I would say slim to none he plays RB or WR. I believe he has outstanding athleticism. But he isn't an upgrade over any of our top 4 RBs at RB, nor the top 3 slot receiver options at the slot. How Peters does is going to determine IWills playing time.
Think of it this way, if Peters even comes close to what his rankings were coming out of HS, then we are going to be in bowl contention. Your then getting him back next year, with a year under his belt in this system and an easier schedule. Peters needs all the reps he can get IMO

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
He needs to sit, learn and adjust is the takeaway I get from everyone's reports

Or he needs to lead the nation in rushing next year as the option triggerman for new Illini coach Jeff Monken. ;)

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Deleted member 29907

D
Is it just me or is anyone else not thrilled with Peters' answer to why he chose Illinois? Kinda like - 'they were my only good offer - so i had to take it. I feel kinda embarrassed that it's come to this, but hey, it is what it is'.

Ok, that last part is my reading facial expressions (and probably fan-team-inferiority complex as well) but I was really expecting more like "I loved the system, the OC and Lovie and playing for a team with a ton of potential - LET'S GET AFTER IT BABY".

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Is it just me or is anyone else not thrilled with Peters' answer to why he chose Illinois? Kinda like - 'they were my only good offer - so i had to take it. I feel kinda embarrassed that it's come to this, but hey, it is what it is'.

Ok, that last part is my reading facial expressions (and probably fan-team-inferiority complex as well) but I was really expecting more like "I loved the system, the OC and Lovie and playing for a team with a ton of potential - LET'S GET AFTER IT BABY".

From the limited quotes we've gotten from him (both video and print), I think that's just who he is. Honest. Quietly confident. Leads by example. There's no rah-rah there.

Teddy Greenstein of Tribune wrote a preview of Big Ten West 6 contenders. He mentioned he did not include Illinois because they are not contenders. Of course it’s an obvious slight as Terdy is prone to do against our Illini. I think he went out of his way to knock Illinois. Would it really kill him to write a 7 team preview no matter how lame it usually is? We certainly get more pertinent information from this site. Just another slap in the face.

OK, so Teddy, you figure Minnesota is a contender Teddy? What a maroon, as Buggs Bunny was won't to say. Just give us one more reason not to read your continually sinking paper....well done!

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
I don't care for Teddy (I think he comes off as a bit of a vindictive homer), but I don't disagree with his observation.

The only Big Ten West champ that would surprise me is Illinois.

SequoiaIllini

California

I wouldn't take it as a knock on UI football. That's just the attitude these days of HS and College football players, free agency and "get to the next level."

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
I'm most intrigued by Lovie's outward confidence this year. He's normally pretty low-key, and was very "build, build, build" the last three years. This year, he's not shy about saying they're going to be way better.

Curious to see how the team lives up to that.

I thought the same thing. Lovie has always kept his cards very close to his vest and used the typical coach speak. This interview on the BTN visit to campus was way untypical of Lovie. Not only did he say that they will be much improved, he acknowledged that the defense has been bad and that the defense must improve for the team to improve. And that is all on Lovie since he's the D Coordinator.

Deleted member 645583

D
You want some true insider info? (of which we have nada).

Dre Brown is healthy, said his high school coach today, who talks to him now and then.

I'm a sub at Dekalb, a lot in PE.

I hope Dre will emerge this season. He's got the speed; he was a man among boys in high school.

Go Dre, Go Illini!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the same thing. Lovie has always kept his cards very close to his vest and used the typical coach speak. This interview on the BTN visit to campus was way untypical of Lovie. Not only did he say that they will be much improved, he acknowledged that the defense has been bad and that the defense must improve for the team to improve. And that is all on Lovie since he's the D Coordinator.

Lovie generally shoots straight from what he believes. He hasn’t suggested that the team is going to be good, until this year. Lovie believes the talent on the furled is enough to win games

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Anyone have any insight on how Shammond Cooper's fared, thus far? Haven't heard much. Same with Barnes.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
Anyone have any insight on how Shammond Cooper's fared, thus far? Haven't heard much. Same with Barnes.

On Werner’s show, he talks like he’s been pleasantly surprised by Barnes. Could be good as a backup already. Says Cooper is doing fine and has obvious athleticism, but needs to up the weight and strength. Probably solid special teams contributor, but potentially a redshirt

Deleted member 654622

D
On Werner’s show, he talks like he’s been pleasantly surprised by Barnes. Could be good as a backup already. Says Cooper is doing fine and has obvious athleticism, but needs to up the weight and strength. Probably solid special teams contributor, but potentially a redshirt
Talks as if Barnes might be the steal of the recruiting class! Said Shammond was on second team kickoff currently.

"Year 3 will produce results" - Lovie Smith, 2018 Media Day

If you ask him, year 3 produced results. More wins than the prior seasons. He was even coy in responding to win totals this year. He didn’t want to say 5 out loud.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
He hasn’t suggested that the team is going to be good, until this year. Lovie believes the talent on the furled is enough to win games

He was even coy in responding to win totals this year. He didn’t want to say 5 out loud.

rdlXgjT.gif

Deleted member 590820

D
So does this mean that he is more likely to redshirt in an effort to play QB his entire time here? What are the chances that they put some packages together to get the ball in his hands at least a couple times a game at RB or WR? If he has game-changing athleticism, I don't think Lovie and co. can afford to have him on the sidelines - especially in a make or break season like this one.

I would assume he’ll play in 4 games at least. Why wouldn’t he? They are basically free games. If he’s a difference maker you can’t keep off the field, by all means burn the red shirt. Gadget plays, QB, WR, where ever. He’s a football player after all right?

Deleted member 656517

D
I would assume he’ll play in 4 games at least. Why wouldn’t he? They are basically free games. If he’s a difference maker you can’t keep off the field, by all means burn the red shirt. Gadget plays, QB, WR, where ever. He’s a football player after all right?
No way we IW redshirts. It’ll mess up the future qb depth with Dixon on board

Status
Not open for further replies.