Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Don't jinx it, man! :)
Hey, I did include a caveat and didn't say "It's a LOCK" or "SHARPIE" did I? However, it's never a bad idea to throw a sacrifice to the Football Gods, Oh Great Masters of Player Health and Lucky Bounces. ;)

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Apparently we're at 85 scholarships now. I love these!

giphy.gif

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
We can be good this year if we can be healthy, but it's next year when we'll finally have depth as even our backups will have the benefit of age and maturity (and some experience) while we also get some of our top talented transfers eligible. I honestly think next year we'll have a good chance to win the B1G West if we can hold it together.

I can't answer this better than the next reply did:

The success or failure of this season hinges mostly on whether the defense can improve from absolute garbage to mediocre, and most of that improvement has to come from the players already on the roster, the "new" defensive coordinator, and only one assistant coach (out of four) with more than two seasons of coaching experience. [Gulp]

We've gotten to the point where we have enough roster-wise to see what we have coaching wise. And we likely rise or fall based on whether our decorated, legendary defensive mind of a head coach who has evinced total contempt for traditional staff building and taken personal ownership of that side of the ball can take his roster of handpicked guys playing the only system we're ever gonna play under Lovie, and stop enough people to be successful to a bare minimum degree against a garbage schedule.

If that proves not to be the case, the idea that there is hope to win the division the next year playing the same way with the same coaches and same players is fanciful at best, IMO.

Deleted member 649710

D
Umm, yeah. About 70% of our projected defensive two-deep, along with all of the coaching staff other than Hudson, were responsible for 63-0 ... two games ago. My expectations are definitely tempered. If they manage to surrender “only” 30-33 pts/game in BIG play, they probably eke our six wins and go bowling. Shouldn’t be too much to ask for in Year 4 (or 3, depending how you count) of Lovie’s tenure. Can they?

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Umm, yeah. About 70% of our projected defensive two-deep, along with all of the coaching staff other than Hudson, were responsible for 63-0 ... two games ago. My expectations are definitely tempered. If they manage to surrender “only” 30-33 pts/game in BIG play, they probably eke our six wins and go bowling. Shouldn’t be too much to ask for in Year 4 (or 3, depending how you count) of Lovie’s tenure. Can they?

The defense was beyond atrocious, but that Iowa game wasn't as bad for the defense as the score indicates. The offense that day went three and out 8 times, threw 3 interceptions, and fumbled once (which was returned for a touchdown). There was also a punt returned for a touchdown. Three touchdowns the Iowa offense had short fields and only had to go 39, 11, and 20 yards.

Deleted member 649710

D
I'm surprised that nobody has posted the news that came out the other day about MJ Rivers:
https://saturdaytradition.com/illin...nal-battle-with-depression-in-instagram-post/

For those who don't want to click through, MJ recently posted the following on his Instagram account
5. Five is the number of times I’ve came to the edge of taking my life. I have delt with depression for many years now. I felt for years that nobody understood what it was like for me but when i got help i realized I wasn’t alone. I’ve learned to cherish everyday i have and the ones around me, and also to not let everyone I know make sure they know how I love them. These are just some of the people in my life that have helped me see that I can keep on fighting, that i can beat every obstacle that comes my way, that quitting is not an option! If anyone goes through depression or anything of the sort please don’t hesitate to contact me and allow me to help please! You are important and have purpose in the world!!!

Certainly explains his departure for personal reasons, and the rumors that have swirled since. I truly hope this promising young man gets the help he needs, and turns things around. I'm pulling for him.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Oliver Martin cleared to play at Iowa right away. SMH at Ford sitting.

FT35

Naperville
Epstein can't even play 2 games without being hurt, I'd take back Vaughn instantly in a trade, he is way better.

Vaughn would have graduated last year.

He's eligible this year because he had to sit out a year after transferring.

I'm surprised that nobody has posted the news that came out the other day about MJ Rivers:
https://saturdaytradition.com/illin...nal-battle-with-depression-in-instagram-post/

For those who don't want to click through, MJ recently posted the following on his Instagram account

Certainly explains his departure for personal reasons, and the rumors that have swirled since. I truly hope this promising young man gets the help he needs, and turns things around. I'm pulling for him.

MJ we are all behind you, my friend. Life is beautiful so savor it. You have so, so much to live for!

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
We've gotten to the point where we have enough roster-wise to see what we have coaching wise.

Now that I think about it, I think this is really kinda the thesis statement for football and basketball this coming school year. And I tend to think we have two pretty darned good coaches, so that leads me to be pretty optimistic.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Now that I think about it, I think this is really kinda the thesis statement for football and basketball this coming school year. And I tend to think we have two pretty darned good coaches, so that leads me to be pretty optimistic.

I'm with you ChiefG. Watching how the FBall and BBall teams have increased there talent level, physicality, maturity in the coaching philosophy ranks, I too feel this optimistc aura surrounding this season.

breadman

Herndon, VA
The defense was beyond atrocious, but that Iowa game wasn't as bad for the defense as the score indicates. The offense that day went three and out 8 times, threw 3 interceptions, and fumbled once (which was returned for a touchdown). There was also a punt returned for a touchdown. Three touchdowns the Iowa offense had short fields and only had to go 39, 11, and 20 yards.

Yep! That's what you call a total team effort.

blackdog

Champaign

As someone who works in the mental health field, I'm really pulling for him and it's good that he is being open with his struggles. Doesn't mean the battle is over for him but still the more we can raise awareness and not be afraid to acknowledge mental health as a real thing the better we all are.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Can't remember if I made a prediction earlier or not.

Record: 5-7 (2-7)
Meta: Offense takes a step back (55ish?), defense takes a step forward (85ish?)

There will be a distinct (and hostile) group of fans that are split between keeping Lovie for another year and those wanting him fired. Whitman keeps him around for another year. Test will be whether recruiting can be maintain (likely not).

There will be a distinct (and hostile) group of fans that are split between keeping Lovie for another year and those wanting him fired. Whitman keeps him around for another year. Test will be whether recruiting can be maintain (likely not).

This is, without a doubt in my mind, the most likely scenario. But I bet recruiting is fine.

giphy.gif

This is close to what I'm thinking also, though I'm still thinking we'll somehow get 6 wins.

Lacking a running QB will slow down our run game a bit, and it'll take a while for the passing game to develop.

Recruiting will be decent.

Lovie will be retained.

Peters will be okay, but the NFL won't be swooping in to snatch him away from us.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Been almost a year since we've been on top of the standings in the B10 West

WOW! How did that happen??
It's like a miracle or something.
It would be nice if this thing could be displayed bigger, though.

Illini_1979

Oregon
There will be a distinct (and hostile) group of fans that are split between keeping Lovie for another year and those wanting him fired.
I think this would happen if we went 12-0 or 0-12.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.