Illini Football 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks very mobile with good technique. Looked ok against Wake/Clemson. Seemed to hold on one play at the end. Like the pick, either starts or provides depth.

Looks like insurance for Kramer with his serious injury risk. IMHO opinion. this tells us that there's not a lot of confidence in Verdis Brown, Cerny, Slaughter, Pearl, the three guys from last year's class and our new OL recruits.

I think we'll be lucky if he matches what we got from Pettibon last year. I was hoping for better, but with McClain this is probably our OL recruiting ceiling...

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
This is a great addition, good get by the staff. Looks like a lot of the new coaches have a connection with him. From what's been written, the Wofford offensive system has some similarities to Illinois' (from the perspective of what is asked from linemen). At worst this gives the team another trustworthy piece at center. At best he provides quality starts at guard.

The one concern is if this is a sign that the staff doesn't like what they're seeing from the 2008 offensive line class (Brown, Pearl, Slaughter, Myers transferred). This might be a big concern, as the familiarity with the staff + availability of a plug-and-play guard + previous guard recruits leaving the team (Boyd + Myers) might be the most obvious answers. Part of me hopes one of the younger players already on the roster wins out so we don't face the possibility of having five brand new starters next year (it's possible that Green has a strong enough season he declares early).

Looks like insurance for Kramer with his serious injury risk. IMHO opinion. this tells us that there's not a lot of confidence in Verdis Brown, Cerny, Slaughter, Pearl, the three guys from last year's class and our new OL recruits.

I think we'll be lucky if he matches what we got from Pettibon last year. I was hoping for better, but with McClain this is probably our OL recruiting ceiling...

This is a great pickup. This isn’t a signal in confidence. This is a plug and play without needing to rely on underclassmen. The underclassmen will get considerable playing time And we have someone with experience and plenty of high major offers, such as, UCLA.

Please tell me why this guy is an upgrade from Stampley, Bhe Bhe, Smalling, Carter, Campbell, and Washington, let alone slot receivers Sidney, Cumby, and Sandy....

He is a 2020 recruit, so it doesn’t change our class size and provides another option at receiver. Remember last season we relied on a a walk-on to provide significant minutes. We don’t have enough receivers. He isn’t a difference maker like bhebhe or smelling or Sidney. Carter is coming off injury. Washington shows flashes and is still young. Same with cumby. Dan offers another option to support the team. The team isn’t played for won with only the starters. There are easily 5-10 injuries per game. Dan is going to get minutes. So will everyone else

Please tell me why this guy is an upgrade from Stampley, Bhe Bhe, Smalling, Carter, Campbell, and Washington, let alone slot receivers Sidney, Cumby, and Sandy....

I really like the OL transfer, but have a similar ‘meh’ feeling about the WR.

So much of OL is physical development. This is a 21 year old who has played a ton of live snaps the last 3 years. We’ve been extremely lucky the last 2 seasons with almost zero OL injury. If the injury bug that hit our WR corp last year, hits our OL it would have devastated the ‘18 or ‘19 seasons. If this guys ceiling is Pettibon and floor is a rotational or injury backfill it is a win. His highlights showing mobility and a system similar to ours as an FCS All American makes this a no brainer. I think he has a chance to surprise us.

Not sure on this WR though... he is coming off an injury and he certainly isn’t the athlete or have the measurables of the wideouts we were on last year in transfer market. I’m not sure what I think his ceiling is suppose to be? A Donny Navarro? Is this a pure 1-to-1 swap of Stampley’s transfer out? An insurance policy in the event we are destroyed with injuries and need to trot out or WR6, 7+ depth chart pieces? Maybe it is just him being a 2 year transfer which helps us stay older in the WR room come 2021 with the impending graduations.

He was an FCS All-American, and awarded SoCon’s best blocker trophy last season. Hard to gauge how good he is though as he looks like he’s struggling against a Clemson, but having an easy time with FCS. Would be nice if there was somewhere in between we could see him in action. Either way I see it as his job to lose at right guard.
Didn't look too be struggling to much to me in the video. Imho

Looks good. Looks like his recovery is progressing nicely. It would be nice to see a video of him the square alternately with his left foot and right foot since hip-flexibility is so important for a cornerback.

Can't wait to see Marquez play. I almost forgot he was still on the roster there for a second.
I think we will all remember him quickly this season, could see him on both sides of the ball and in ST. He's going to make a big impact for us this year, very excited to see him take the field. Maybe a bit overzealous with his past injury, but I don't care I chug the Orange Koolaid on this kid.

Who are we getting back this season? I know Epstein, Beason, but is there anyone else who was injured before and early in the season. I know Sydney played a few games. Kramer got hurt late. I am also looking forward to seeing Beason play.

Deleted member 656517

D
Who are we getting back this season? I know Epstein, Beason, but is there anyone else who was injured before and early in the season. I know Sydney played a few games. Kramer got hurt late. I am also looking forward to seeing Beason play.
Jamal Woods will be a big player for us if he can stay healthy

Really like our offense going into this season. QB Room is the best it has been in a long time, Receiving core is deep, Barker and Ford at TE I love, and our O-Line should be crazy good. Only position I'm a bit worried about is RB. Maybe we can get a transfer back? We NEED Epstein to be healthy this year,and I like Chase Brown. Should be in for a fun year with quite the easy Non Con, and a kind of favorable B10 Schedule(of course, assuming there is a CFB Season....)

Only position I'm a bit worried about is RB. Maybe we can get a transfer back? We NEED Epstein to be healthy this year,and I like Chase Brown.
Agree, need more speed at RB and possibly every down RB. Think we will use some if the slot WR on runs, Cumby? The QB from Champaign seems to have a good RB built and has speed.

Deleted member 654622

D
Agree, need more speed at RB and possibly every down RB. Think we will use some if the slot WR on runs, Cumby? The QB from Champaign seems to have a good RB built and has speed.
I can understand why people would gravitate toward this thinking considering all the snaps that just graduated. But I am not concerned at all with the RB room. I think our passing game along with how awesome our Oline is going to be is going to make the personal at the RB position a lot less dependent on the success of the O. But I also like who is in that room. A healthy Epstein makes a big difference for this year for sure however.

Illinivek23

Gurnee
Who is the QB from Champaign? I'm sorry - I'm off my game with the state of the world.

Really like our offense going into this season. QB Room is the best it has been in a long time, Receiving core is deep, Barker and Ford at TE I love, and our O-Line should be crazy good. Only position I'm a bit worried about is RB. Maybe we can get a transfer back? We NEED Epstein to be healthy this year,and I like Chase Brown. Should be in for a fun year with quite the easy Non Con, and a kind of favorable B10 Schedule(of course, assuming there is a CFB Season....)

Agreed with this quote. Our offense should at worse be middle of the pack, and will probably be Top 2-3 in the West. It will be up to Lovie’s defense especially that new DL, to hold opponents. Don’t need anything crazy, but if we can hold B1G opponents to the 25-30 range we at least have a chance each game.

Status
Not open for further replies.