Illini Football 2020

Not sure where to post this. I was looking at how the team has done each quarter over the past couple of seasons. I was curious to see if we were just getting tired in the 4th quarter. Keep in mind the 2019 #'s had the extra game.
20191234Total
Illini85939079347
Opponent891035890340

20181234Total
Illini71807982312
Opponent11914387124474

The obvious trends I saw is that our defense was WAY better in the third quarter both seasons and worse in the second quarter of each half. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that is common across college football but I'm curious to see how adding more depth will change these numbers.

Not sure where to post this. I was looking at how the team has done each quarter over the past couple of seasons. I was curious to see if we were just getting tired in the 4th quarter. Keep in mind the 2019 #'s had the extra game.
20191234Total
Illini85939079347
Opponent891035890340

20181234Total
Illini71807982312
Opponent11914387124474

The obvious trends I saw is that our defense was WAY better in the third quarter both seasons and worse in the second quarter of each half. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that is common across college football but I'm curious to0 see how adding more depth will change these numbers.
Yeah this seems like it could be a depth thing. It is kinda amazing how much better 2019 was. We basically gave up 2-3 games worth less of points.

Edit: more like 4 games worth, though I guess it depends what you consider an average amount of pts given up is.

QBRBWRWRWRTELTLGCRGRTLS
StarterPetersBrownSmallingImatorbhebheSidneyFordLoweGreenKramerJeresatyPalczewskiTabel
2ndWilliamsEpsteinWashingtonHightowerNavarroBarkerCerneySlaughterBrownJonesPearlHall
3rdRobinson BonnerDanCampbellCumby MooreGriffinTylerEngelSparksPlohrReagin
4thTaylorNorwoodHolmesCarterFrenchieReimanKirtsIngoldButlerNovakCronin
5thSpannSimsMetclafHickeySandyPihlstrom
6thBeethamLoveBoucherThomas
7thFedanzoLindenman
8thLilligBickle
9thBobak
WDENTDTSDESLBMLBWLBCBCBSSFSKP
StarterGay AveryWoodsCarneyEiflerHansenCooperAdamsHobbsD SmithBrownMcCourtHayes
2ndBellPateShiptonRandolphTolsonBarnesDegrootBeasonWitherspoonWareMartinGriffinGriffin
3rdColemanOkpalaNewtonMondesirKnightDarkAngeloGardnerWalkerNicholsonMarcheseJoesephMcCourt
4thDavisMcCoyRigginsHolmesMeadCoghlan McEachernWyattLeitzseyK SmithThompson
5thBarnesRoundtreeDi LorioBobakSchultz
Seniors
27​
StartersSeniorsJuniorsSophmoresFreshman
Juniors
25​
Offense
8​
1​
2​
0​
Sophmores
21​
Defense
6​
4​
0​
1​
Freshman
19​
Redshirt FR
22​
Updated potential depth chart. Please let me know if you think anything should be changed.

Looks pretty good. Philstrom switched from TE to T?

My only disagreement is Cooper starting right now. I think Tolson or Ware get the nod with Cooper and Gardner as dark horses. I would like Cooper to start and Ware stay at S though. Just don't see it happening.

QBRBWRWRWRTELTLGCRGRTLS
StarterPetersBrownSmallingImatorbhebheSidneyFordLoweGreenKramerJeresatyPalczewskiTabel
2ndWilliamsEpsteinWashingtonHightowerNavarroBarkerCerneySlaughterBrownJonesPearlHall
3rdRobinsonBonnerDanCampbellCumbyMooreGriffinTylerEngelSparksPlohrReagin
7thFedanzoLindenman
8thLilligBickle
9thBobak
StarterGayAveryWoodsCarneyEiflerHansenCooperAdamsHobbsD SmithBrownMcCourtHayes
2ndBellPateShiptonRandolphTolsonBarnesDegrootBeasonWitherspoonWareMartinGriffinGriffin
3rdColemanOkpalaNewtonMondesirKnightDarkAngeloGardnerWalkerNicholsonMarcheseJoesephMcCourt
4thDavisMcCoyRigginsHolmesMeadCoghlanMcEachernWyattLeitzseyK SmithThompson
Seniors
27​
Juniors
25​
Offense
8​
1​
2​
0​
Sophmores
21​
Defense
6​
4​
0​
1​
Freshman
19​
Redshirt FR
22​
Updated potential depth chart. Please let me know if you think anything should be changed.
man... that is a solid 2 deep across the board. Seeing it all at once really makes me optimistic - I hope we get to see this 2020 season in its entirety. This should be a reminder not to let 2021 recruiting woes numb what this 2020 team should be.

if we can stay relatively injury free and the dline position group surprises us, this team will be good

South Carolina
QBRBWRWRWRTELTLGCRGRTLS
3rdRobinson BonnerDanCampbellCumby MooreGriffinTylerEngelSparksPlohrReagin
7thFedanzoLindenman
8thLilligBickle
9thBobak
StarterGay AveryWoodsCarneyEiflerHansenCooperAdamsHobbsD SmithBrownMcCourtHayes
4thDavisMcCoyRigginsHolmesMeadCoghlan McEachernWyattLeitzseyK SmithThompson
Seniors
27​
Juniors
25​
Offense
8​
1​
2​
0​
Sophmores
21​
Defense
6​
4​
0​
1​
Freshman
19​
Redshirt FR
22​
Hightower is a regular transfer. Are you expecting him to get a waiver?

Looks pretty good. Philstrom switched from TE to T?

My only disagreement is Cooper starting right now. I think Tolson or Ware get the nod with Cooper and Gardner as dark horses. I would like Cooper to start and Ware stay at S though. Just don't see it happening.
Last I heard he was switching to the OL. And I agree that tolson has a very good shot at starting. I have heard Shammod has started stacking good weight, and with his speed that’s why I’m giving him the nod. Well have a true battle where anyone of degroot, ware, cooper, Barnes, tolson, Smith, knight and Gardner can battle it out. Should be fun.

man... that is a solid 2 deep across the board. Seeing it all at once really makes me optimistic - I hope we get to see this 2020 season in its entirety. This should be a reminder not to let 2021 recruiting woes numb what this 2020 team should be.

if we can stay relatively injury free and the dline position group surprises us, this team will be good
I’ve been wanting to say this for awhile. Our two deep is as talented as we have had for a long time. I know recruiting hasn’t been great but that should affect our view of this team. We could be really good.

Last I heard he was switching to the OL. And I agree that tolson has a very good shot at starting. I have heard Shammod has started stacking good weight, and with his speed that’s why I’m giving him the nod. Well have a true battle where anyone of degroot, ware, cooper, Barnes, tolson, Smith, knight and Gardner can battle it out. Should be fun.
That is awesome to hear about Shammond. I thought he looked good with his limited PT too. And if Degroot starts I'll be a bit disappointed. Nothing against him I just expect more from others. I'm glad he found a spot at LB. Nice depth piece.

Why do you have Williams ahead of Robinson? What has changed from last year?

Why do you have Williams ahead of Robinson? What has changed from last year?
I think Robinson has shown that he isn't exactly B1G starting material. He can fill in and do some things, but he isn't what you want if you are a good/decent team. That is not meant to be a bash on him either.

I think with Williams, he is so electrifying as an athlete, that you still have hope that he could be a decent starter on a decent team.

Looking at the depth and all the comments about our young players with body by Lou, keeps me coming back to how all of this is stopping Lou from having them personally during their most effective growth cycles. Really disappoints me. I see all the twitter videos of lineman pushing cars and Behbe jumping on a trash can but I hope they have some serious guidance in what they need to be doing on a person by person basis

Looking at the depth and all the comments about our young players with body by Lou, keeps me coming back to how all of this is stopping Lou from having them personally during their most effective growth cycles. Really disappoints me. I see all the twitter videos of lineman pushing cars and Behbe jumping on a trash can but I hope they have some serious guidance in what they need to be doing on a person by person basis
They would have been given workout regimens just like incoming freshmen who have signed are given before they are on campus. Yes, there is a lot of personal responsibility, which worries me about a couple of players who struggled enough when the coaches were there. But I would assume there have been Zoom sessions of workouts and chats checking in on weight and other figures. I have no inside knowledge; just feedback from other programs and past best practices.

Does anyone have a read on what Isaiah's role will be on this team going forward, is he our '21-'22 QB, or is he going to likely play another role on this team. I just want to see him take the field in any capacity this season. Hoping someone with more insights can weigh in. I get this isn't exactly the best timing to answer this question.

Does anyone have a read on what Isaiah's role will be on this team going forward, is he our '21-'22 QB, or is he going to likely play another role on this team. I just want to see him take the field in any capacity this season. Hoping someone with more insights can weigh in. I get this isn't exactly the best timing to answer this question.
if it were up to me, he would play a Ryan tannehill type role. Given that I worked with tanNehill, I think this could be risky for the sake of injury. My guess is that he will be workEd into Midfield and goal line situations this year.

Anyone else have a good feeling about this team? I think we could be surprisingly good next year. Maybe Minnesota decent next year. 6 wins should be the absolute floor.
Whether we win 5 or 9 games I think this is the most talented team we've had since the Zook era (I understand that isn't saying much). Unfortunately I think there is only 4 games we should easily win. Hopefully we will win at least 3 of the Purdue, Nebraska, northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa and Indiana games but all of those teams are also pretty talented too.

Whether we win 5 or 9 games I think this is the most talented team we've had since the Zook era (I understand that isn't saying much). Unfortunately I think there is only 4 games we should easily win. Hopefully we will win at least 3 of the Purdue, Nebraska, northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa and Indiana games but all of those teams are also pretty talented too.
Just looking at our two deep. I wanna re-release another depth chart with all the new players added. But it looks really solid. I would make a argument that our two deep is as good as anyone not named Nebraska or Wisconsin in the west. I don’t think Iowa or Purdue are gonna be great this year.

2020-05-19 (2).png

Here is what I project the 2 depth chart to be after adding a couple more grad transfers. Looks to be the best we have had in a long time. Very excited about the season. Let me know if you think i should change anything. The newly created *star position was difficult to show on this chart without pulling guys from their natural position.