Illini Football 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited to see what this defense can do next season. I'm not as worried about the DL as others on here, epecially with the new additions. the line only needs to be average for the defense to build on last year imo

I'm excited to see what this defense can do next season. I'm not as worried about the DL as others on here, epecially with the new additions. the line only needs to be average for the defense to build on last year imo
Our defense has an identity, and that is the same the Bears had back in the day. We live and die off of creating turnovers. Our DL doesn't have to be a strength as long as they can disrupt enough to cause picks, bat balls, and strip ball carriers.

Brown as the RB starter seems a little premature to me. I think Bonner has a chance to take at least 50% of this years carries. I'd love Epstien to be 100% for this year, I just don't see him carrying more than 100 times given his history. A change of pace role might be a better place for him.

View attachment 6024

Here is what I project the 2 depth chart to be after adding a couple more grad transfers. Looks to be the best we have had in a long time. Very excited about the season. Let me know if you think i should change anything. The newly created *star position was difficult to show on this chart without pulling guys from their natural position.
Okpala is a Nose Tackle now?

I didn't know where to post this, but it looks like the one-time transfer rule won't go into effect for at least another year.

Brown as the RB starter seems a little premature to me. I think Bonner has a chance to take at least 50% of this years carries. I'd love Epstien to be 100% for this year, I just don't see him carrying more than 100 times given his history. A change of pace role might be a better place for him.
Everything coming out of practice last year was that chase brown was one of the best RB's. I don't see bonner having a huge role TBH. He really hasn't been overly effective and misses holes a lot. I think norwood ends up with more carries than bonner.

View attachment 6024

Here is what I project the 2 depth chart to be after adding a couple more grad transfers. Looks to be the best we have had in a long time. Very excited about the season. Let me know if you think i should change anything. The newly created *star position was difficult to show on this chart without pulling guys from their natural position.
At every position we look like an average-above average team especially in the BIG West. Only major concern is that Defensive Line. Don’t want to be pessimistic but I don’t think any of those guys could get more than 5 sacks in a season.

At every position we look like an average-above average team especially in the BIG West. Only major concern is that Defensive Line. Don’t want to be pessimistic but I don’t think any of those guys could get more than 5 sacks in a season.
Gay definitely has the talent and experience to do it. Sadly, with how weak the rest of the line is, he'll see enough double teams this year (potentially) to make getting 5 sacks more of a ceiling rather than a floor.

Our defense has an identity, and that is the same the Bears had back in the day. We live and die off of creating turnovers. Our DL doesn't have to be a strength as long as they can disrupt enough to cause picks, bat balls, and strip ball carriers.
That was literally the issue last year, there was no disruption. I really like the young guys on this roster, especially the ends. But we REALLY need Calvin to put it all together this year and Jamal to stay healthy. Both not having Spring ball does not help those situations.

That was literally the issue last year, there was no disruption. I really like the young guys on this roster, especially the ends. But we REALLY need Calvin to put it all together this year and Jamal to stay healthy. Both not having Spring ball does not help those situations.
If they can not get driven back and get their hands in passing lanes that could work for us. I don't have a lot of faith that our inexperienced line is suddenly going to get dramatically better.

Gay definitely has the talent and experience to do it. Sadly, with how weak the rest of the line is, he'll see enough double teams this year (potentially) to make getting 5 sacks more of a ceiling rather than a floor.
Lovie rotates the defense as much as he can. Our line isn't in a great position, but I wouldn't say its in a bad position. Woods and Avery are solid linemen. Bell, Gay, and Carney are seniors and will give us good minutes. And, the redshirt ends, Randolph and Coleman, will provide some decent depth. Not to mention Shipton and Okpala, both of which are unknown to me and I could see them making some big plays over the year. More importantly, they are all big bodied enough to allow our solid linebackers to shoot gaps and make plays on the ball. Really, I am high on the linebackers, which run the system.

Lovie rotates the defense as much as he can. Our line isn't in a great position, but I wouldn't say its in a bad position. Woods and Avery are solid linemen. Bell, Gay, and Carney are seniors and will give us good minutes. And, the redshirt ends, Randolph and Coleman, will provide some decent depth. Not to mention Shipton and Okpala, both of which are unknown to me and I could see them making some big plays over the year. More importantly, they are all big bodied enough to allow our solid linebackers to shoot gaps and make plays on the ball. Really, I am high on the linebackers, which run the system.
It was very evident we create almost zero push last year. The DL might have a good mix of age and young talent, but I think we lose more than we gain even compared to last year. Of course, having a better secondary/LB group will automatically make the DL more effective if they are given more time to get to the QB. Still, I think there's a chance the group improves as a whole even without factoring the rest of the D in. Just don't think it's a gimme.

I wasn’t sure where to put this but apparently Michigan’s President came out and said yesterday that there will be no football this fall at Michigan if all students aren’t back...

I wasn’t sure where to put this but apparently Michigan’s President came out and said yesterday that there will be no football this fall at Michigan if all students aren’t back...
So if some of their students decide not to come back, then no sports? A university president should be more precise with his language, lol.

South Carolina
My wife bought me a black Santa Christmas ornament last year because it looked like Lovie. He better grow that thing back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.