Illini Football 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like we could toss in Isaiah Gay, Calvin Avery, and Jamal Woods to that list if they live up to their potential this season
Right. I do not have enough faith yet. They have a lot to prove. That is the big issue with the list I put out is no DL on it. Maybe I could have put as UDF. The other 2 have much to prove. I also thought Reggie Corbin, Dre Brown, Dele Harding, and Jamal Milan would be on a roster by now though also...

Right. I do not have enough faith yet. They have a lot to prove. That is the big issue with the list I put out is no DL on it. Maybe I could have put as UDF. The other 2 have much to prove. I also thought Reggie Corbin, Dre Brown, Dele Harding, and Jamal Milan would be on a roster by now though also...
I know it's a fan board, but I think we are thinking a little to highly of our players. I only think Milan has a legit shot. I could see practice squad for Reggie, Dre and Dele

I know it's a fan board, but I think we are thinking a little to highly of our players. I only think Milan has a legit shot. I could see practice squad for Reggie, Dre and Dele
Yes, but practice squads are not put together yet. They would likely be put on a roster and then a practice squad from there. So you basically just kind of clarified what I was trying to say.

Here's a list of NFL players off those Zook teams...
Jeff Allen
Jon Asamoah
Arrelius Benn
Josh Brent
Jerry Brown
Nate Bussey
Jack Cornell
Jeff Cumberland
Vontae Davis
Will davis
Glenn Foster
Justin Green
Michael Hoomanawanui
AJ Jenkins
Mikel LeShoure
Corey Liuget
Whitney Mercilus
Brit Miller
Akeem Spence
Justin Staples
Hugh Thornton
Martez Wilson
Tavon wilson

Do you think the current roster has 23 future NFL'ers on it?
I’m not suggesting there wasn’t talent. but that’s a wide stretch and each of those years didn’t have all of those players.

Plainfield
Point taken on Mack's fourth season in '91. However, I believe if he had stayed we would have been relevant on a regular basis. He was in over his head at Texas. Illinois was a good fit for him. And he could coach. What he did with the '88 team, coming off a 3-7-1 season under White, was nothing short of miraculous. Had they beaten Michigan that season they would have gone to the Rose Bowl.
Mackovic didn’t recruit well that’s why the record declined. He had great success principally with Mike White recruits.

Do we know how many reported to school and therefore how many missing at this point?

Chevy Chase, Maryland
Mackovic didn’t recruit well that’s why the record declined. He had great success principally with Mike White recruits.
That isn't what I recall but it was a long time ago. I don't believe he held onto all White's major recruits in the Class of '88, and didn't really have a proper recruiting class until '90, after his second full season. The decline in performance in '91 flowed directly from that. So, yes, '88-'90 were the result of White's recruits, b/c Mack hadn't brought any in. And then he left, and I doubt Tepper held onto all of the class of '92 recruits. So Mack never really recruited at Illinois to any extent. And in '91 I recall we beat OSU in Champaign and they were ranked in the Top 10. We weren't a bad team that year, just middle of the pack.

Read that Trib article I linked. No one expected anything of that '88 team and they stunned everyone. That's what I remember. I attended the Ohio State game in Columbus in '88, which was our first win there since '68. It was early October and I hadn't seen them play yet as I'd been travelling the prior two months. I remember being really surprised at their performance. Also, see the Indiana game that year in which IU was ranked and we staged a furious late comeback to win after many fans left the stadium. That was Mack's coaching. He was a good coach. The Nick Bell Iowa debacle in 1990 was the only game of his I can recall when he got arrogant and out-coached. We were, IIRC, #5 nationally at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.