Illini Football 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
Mackovic didn’t recruit well that’s why the record declined. He had great success principally with Mike White recruits.
That isn't what I recall but it was a long time ago. I don't believe he held onto all White's major recruits in the Class of '88, and didn't really have a proper recruiting class until '90, after his second full season. The decline in performance in '91 flowed directly from that. So, yes, '88-'90 were the result of White's recruits, b/c Mack hadn't brought any in. And then he left, and I doubt Tepper held onto all of the class of '92 recruits. So Mack never really recruited at Illinois to any extent. And in '91 I recall we beat OSU in Champaign and they were ranked in the Top 10. We weren't a bad team that year, just middle of the pack.

Read that Trib article I linked. No one expected anything of that '88 team and they stunned everyone. That's what I remember. I attended the Ohio State game in Columbus in '88, which was our first win there since '68. It was early October and I hadn't seen them play yet as I'd been travelling the prior two months. I remember being really surprised at their performance. Also, see the Indiana game that year in which IU was ranked and we staged a furious late comeback to win after many fans left the stadium. That was Mack's coaching. He was a good coach. The Nick Bell Iowa debacle in 1990 was the only game of his I can recall when he got arrogant and out-coached. We were, IIRC, #5 nationally at the time.

28-3 is on BTN currently
Still baffled that Justice Williams was a returner

Status
Not open for further replies.