Illini Football 2020

Unless recruiting improves dramatically it kinda looks like this season—one where we will be lucky to go .500–is going to be Peak Lovie at Illinois.
Not sure how this season with only 9 games, all in conference, is representative of any regular season we'd have. We'd have been favored in all 3 non-con games, so, yeah. Going .500 would be really tough unless you're predicting a bowl game, there being 9 games and all.

Not sure how this season with only 9 games, all in conference, is representative of any regular season we'd have. We'd have been favored in all 3 non-con games, so, yeah. Going .500 would be really tough unless you're predicting a bowl game, there being 9 games and all.

The irony was baked-in.

Unless recruiting improves dramatically it kinda looks like this season—one where we will be lucky to go .500–is going to be Peak Lovie at Illinois.

I have more fondness for the Zook years than most...by quite a bit. No, he wasn't much of a coach come game day, but we had a boatload of exciting players, and a magical season with Juice. Sometimes exciting players overcome below average coaching. I'd take another ace recruiter who struggles coaching but knows how to project guys to the next level. Ideally we land a true program builder at some point, but the college football landscape is so incredibly competitive in this era, I don't see it happening. Too many programs to outbid us for a chance at the next promising coach.

I have more fondness for the Zook years than most...by quite a bit. No, he wasn't much of a coach come game day, but we had a boatload of exciting players, and a magical season with Juice. Sometimes exciting players overcome below average coaching. I'd take another ace recruiter who struggles coaching but knows how to project guys to the next level. Ideally we land a true program builder at some point, but the college football landscape is so incredibly competitive in this era, I don't see it happening. Too many programs to outbid us for a chance at the next promising coach.
It's not always as black and white as an ace recruiter or an X's and O's guy, but I'd agree which way I'd lean (the recruiter). As long as you have enough humility to admit your coaching chops aren't elite, you can hire a staff that'll make up for that. I personally see getting more support staff who are excellent football guys as an easier task than getting a group of solid recruiters.

I thought Lovie's initial hirings showed he thought he could win by coaching up young guys, regardless of skill. I think his second round showed he understood recruiting was key. I think he took a step back with the latest round. I think it'll be about getting a perfect mix for him, lets hope he's found it.

I want to be optimistic, but I see 2-7; we beat RU and either PU or NW, with a chance we win or lose both. Not sure where the other W's come from outside catching some really lucky breaks - Unfortunately we probably used them up last year during the UW and MSU games

Deleted member 746648

D
I believe we are only favored to win against rutgers but the exciting thing about this season is there are few games on the schedule I'm confident will be a loss (Wisconsin and Ohio St). Everyone else is beatable with this roster.

I think we beat rutgers and go 3-3 against purdue, Minnesota, Nebraska, iowa, northwestern and the cross over game against maryland or Michigan st.

illini80

Forgottonia
I think this offense, barring critical injuries, is too good to be less than 4-4. We are as talented on that side of the ball as we’ve been in how long, 2007?

Last edited:
I think this offense, barring critical injuries, is too good to be less than 4-4. We are as talented on that side of the ball as we’ve been in how long, 2007?

Offense shouldn't be the problem. Even so, with very little running game our offense could stall once the snow starts flying in December.

It's not always as black and white as an ace recruiter or an X's and O's guy, but I'd agree which way I'd lean (the recruiter). As long as you have enough humility to admit your coaching chops aren't elite, you can hire a staff that'll make up for that. I personally see getting more support staff who are excellent football guys as an easier task than getting a group of solid recruiters.

I thought Lovie's initial hirings showed he thought he could win by coaching up young guys, regardless of skill. I think his second round showed he understood recruiting was key. I think he took a step back with the latest round. I think it'll be about getting a perfect mix for him, lets hope he's found it.

I don't think you can or should hire a staff that covers every HC's weaknesses. If you have to do that why are they your HC?

I think people get caught up in A is a good recruiter or B is a good coach but a bad recruiter. Put together the best HC/OC/DC combo(ok fine, HC/OC for us) and use staff positions to fill out your ace recruiters.

If you can't win on Saturday, no one cares how good your HC is at talking to HS kids on the phone.

This article (about Wisky) has some interesting graphics comparing the talent improvement across the B1G West. I don't think anyone is expecting us to even do as well as last year. Let's make them eat that.

Deleted member 746648

D
According to Team talent composite we are 4th in the west and 9th in the conference. We went from 37th nationally last season to 41 (lost 5* betiku)

RankTeam
3Ohio St
13Penn St
17Michigan
24Nebraska
27Wisconsin
32Maryland
35Michigan St
38Purdue
41Illinois
44Iowa
47Northwestern
53Indiana
59Minnesota
62Rutgers

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
Another important year for the Illini football program to make another step of progression towards being considered in Top 25 polls. From the just released Associated Press Top 25 poll, if these teams can be relevant why not Illinois?

Could Be Why Not?: Cincinnati (9th), North Carolina (T-14th), SMU (16th - the death penalty program), Iowa State (17th and ahead of Iowa), Kansas State (20th), Minnesota (21st), North Carolina State (23rd)

Why Not?: Marshall (22nd), Coastal Carolina (25th)

We're Not Ahead of These Teams? (from "Others Receiving Votes"): Memphis, Tulsa, Louisiana-Lafeyette, Liberty, UAB, Arkansas (back-to-back 2-10 records the last 2 years)