Illini Football & CFB 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said - doubt the season will go. If it does it'll be interesting to see how ND manages. If they're going to join a conference as a full member I'd rather it be the B1G than the ACC.

IlliniReb

Dallas-Fort Worth
As others have said - doubt the season will go. If it does it'll be interesting to see how ND manages. If they're going to join a conference as a full member I'd rather it be the B1G than the ACC.

Assuming the other P5 conferences follow suit, ND is for an interesting fall. Here is their schedule:
Navy
Arkansas
Western Mich
Wake Forest
Wisc
Stanford
Pitt
Duke
Clemson
Ga Tech
Louisville
USC

So - Navy, maybe West Mich.

EDIT - It looks like the ACC would assist them in scheduling as many games with conference teams as possible (6 on the schedule). Too bad.

cuillini

San Bernardino, Ca.
Looks like the ACC will follow suit. They said they'd invite ND to play as many ACC games as possible.

Deleted member 746684

D
ND is a weird one. I wonder what would happen if they decided not to play at all...

As far as the Big Ten goes, I don't think I expect them to play at all. The most academically exceptional conference has already canceled everything (Ivy League). The second is likely the B1G and I can't imagine schools like Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, or Illinois forcing the teams to play in an unsafe climate. Those schools are teaming with scientists who know this isn't a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
ND is a weird one. I wonder what would happen if they decided not to play at all...

As far as the Big Ten goes, I don't think I expect them to play at all. The most academically exceptional conference has already canceled everything (Ivy League). The second is likely the B1G and I can't imagine schools like Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, or Illinois forcing the teams to play in an unsafe climate. Those schools are teaming with scientists who know this isn't a good idea.
I agree that we won’t have fall sports. I think schools will decide it is not safe to return kids to school. I also think that most of those kids are pretty much socializing in an “unsafe” manner anyway. My wife is an essential government worker and was required to go to work throughout this pandemic and has never been tested or had a temperature check. At the same time, my very strong 18 year old son who is beginning his college baseball career will probably be told to isolate and be tested regularly. Chances are he misses fall classes and workouts and she works non stop.

illini80

Forgottonia
Not surprising in light of recent trends. I question whether the pro sports will be able to move forward either. The TBT seems to show that things can be done on a smaller scale and for shorter periods of time with strict quarantines, but I don’t see that as something that can be replicated over a season.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
No Wisconsin vs ND game in Green Bay huh? Shame. Big money loss.

Too bad people couldn't wear masks for a month more and actually social distance. We could have been done with this all now like the rest of the world and had full football etc. Hope everyone is proud.

Some schools will decide not to hold in person classes and students will be stuck on home doing online "learning."

Other schools will proceed to hold in person classes, with masks, social distancing and other safety precautions in place.

I would bet a large sum of money that by the end of the semester the infection rates of those kids who stayed home and those who returned will not be materially different.

The rest of the BIG have smart people, too. Nobody is going to let student athletes play in an unsafe environment.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
Safety over entertainment. I think all of us understand that at this point, but dang it this sucks. I'd be genuinely surprised if there is CFB at all this fall. I feel bad for the players, it has to be difficult to work out and prepare for a season that probably isn't going to happen.

Is it possible that part of the non-con cancellations is the huge payouts for hosting these football games would have led to huge monetary losses? Assuming the payoffs were not based on attendance.

I wish that they would just cancel the football season and give everyone another year of eligibility.

I agree with this, unless there's an appetite for rolling the season over to the spring. But if not, I would like to see schools free to play what would essentially amount to televised scrimmages (no fans) against other schools, with some very strict health and safety protocols as a prerequisite.

This would allow keep at least some money flowing, might help keep some FCS programs alive that will otherwise fold, would allow potential draftees some sort of opportunity to showcase themselves this year which will help with everyone's decision-making, and would allow for some competition/entertainment under only the safest conditions. That way, if UI is in great shape with the virus and can find 3 nearby schools who are as well, they get three games worth of play and experience in where otherwise there would be none. If it's not safe, UI doesn't get to play football. It allows for schools to make relatively short notice plans for a game when conditions are favorable. This plan could actually have a positive impact on more than just football programs and fans; it could provide an incentive for universities to hold to the highest public health standards.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
At this point, I just don't see it happening in the fall. Football, Basketball overlap in the spring? Just double down on both and bring in a ton of TV money?

Status
Not open for further replies.