Illini Football & CFB 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The U of I testing program for students will be one of, if not the top testing program in the US. Staff and students will get tested twice a week and they are developing an app to trace the buildings you enter on campus. If you miss a Covid test, you then aren’t allowed to go to class. If there is going to be a successful testing program in the US, this is gonna be it.

Dan

Admin
Rod Smith (on practicing without pads): It's kind of like a beauty contest right now. Everybody looks pretty good. #Illini
https://twitter.com/srrichey/

Rod Smith on Brandon Peters: He's on a different level than he was last year at this time.

Rod Smith on Brandon Peters: He's a man of few words, but when he does speak everyone listens to him.

"This team believes in Brandon Peters."

Rod Smith on Mike Epstein: Mike is a complete back. We're a better football team when Mike is healthy.

https://twitter.com/mrwagner25

#illini football went full two hours today. Planned to go shoulder pads, but Big Ten notified them of pause in padded practices beforehand, so they went helmets, jerseys and shorts.

Lovie on pause on pads: The approach we take each day is whatever we're presented with, we're going to do.

Lovie: Found out about no pads about an hour and a half before. Came in knowing they might have to adjust.

Lovie on Brandon Peters: "He's pretty comfortable. He just needs to play."

Lovie on RBs: Mike Epstein is healthy now. Chase Brown is eligible now. We feel like our running game could be even stronger this year.

Lovie: Chase Brown "can do it all" as a running back. "He can catch the ball, he can make you miss in the open field, he's a tough guy. He just needs to play."

Lovie on potential spring season: We want to play now. But if they tell us we can't play until the spring, so be it. Will be excited to play whenever they say we can play.

Asked about #illini freshman RB Reggie Love, OC Rod Smith said he has a great “feel” for the game and their run scheme.

OC Rod Smith: Daniel Imatorbhebhe had his first practice today. “He looked really good. Excited about him. ... He damn sure looks pretty right now.”

Adds Daniel Barker is playing his best football right now. Luke Ford also looks good.

“Coach Patterson is pretty happy right now.”

OC Rod Smith: Isaiah Williams has gotten a lot stronger. One of the smartest guys in the room. Worked on throwing this offseason and arm is stronger. “I

https://twitter.com/JWerner247

illini80

Forgottonia
8 Maryland players so far opting to sit out the season.
25 days until the first game and we are practicing with helmets, jerseys, and shorts.
I just don’t see this happening.

This from today’s Detroit News has me thinking: what if all conferences postpone to spring, and reinstate their original schedules?

Looks like football is over for this year. What will happen to a seniors scholarship? Lot of things to mull over.

illini80

Forgottonia
Looks like football is over for this year. What will happen to a seniors scholarship? Lot of things to mull over.
I don’t think it will be a one size fits all thing. We can and I think will offer another year if a player chooses to skip a possible spring season. Many smaller schools will not have that ability.

I listened to Josh Sat am on WDWS. He’s always a very positive guy, but to me he sounds like this is wearing on him. How could it not? Everyday you have to redo whatever you spent the day before planning.

Also, if it's a spring season, how do you treat early high school enrolees and or juco guys? Do you have to change scholarship numbers significantly?

I'm sorry everyone. This sucks.
BigTenFallCancelSports.JPG

Deleted member 746684

D
So cancel or postpone?
I think they'll say "postpone" but ultimately will cancel.

Postponed for the fall. They're gonna do what they can to play it in the spring I would think. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these schools reinstated the schedules they had originally scheduled for this fall.

Unless there is a vaccine in like, January (which is wishful), it seems unlikely we get a football season.

If the season ends up flat out cancelled in the spring, what are the chances 5th year guys like J. Bhebhe or B. Peters return to try to play next year if given the option?

This from today’s Detroit News has me thinking: what if all conferences postpone to spring, and reinstate their original schedules?

Postponed for the fall. They're gonna do what they can to play it in the spring I would think. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these schools reinstated the schedules they had originally scheduled for this fall.

I think it would be hard to go back to full schedules. A shorter spring season makes more sense for opening the 2021 season on time.

There will also be no incentives for guys like Justin Fields to play a spring season with the NFL draft also in the spring. Our OSU opener looks a little easier in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.