Illini Football & CFB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Welcome to the Illinois Football & College Football Thread

Kendrick J. Green led the march through Champaign
https://www.thechampaignroom.com/20...ick-green-nate-hobbs-black-lives-matter-march

Instead of restarting practice, dozens of IlliniFootball players and other #Illini athletes led a march through the streets of Champaign to rally against racism
https://twitter.com/WCIA3sports/

Big Ten voted 11-3 to postpone fall football season
Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State were the 3 schools voting against postponement
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-11-3-postpone-fall-football-season-docs-show

Iowa's athletics department announces that it will be pausing workouts for all athletics teams until after Labor Day due to the recent increase in COVID-19 cases in the community. Iowa conducted 815 COVID-19 tests for the week of Aug. 24-30 with 93 positives and 722 negatives.
https://twitter.com/AriWasserman/

Deleted member 4333

D
cb081220dAPR20200812014508.jpg

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
looking like the season is back on per Twitter. Hope the teams haven't been letting off the gas at all the past few weeks!

The good thing is there reallys only been a couple weeks since the last practice, and there should be about 30 days until the first game. My hope is they retool the schedule (but only because ours was hard). At the end of the day, I just want Illinois football. Of course, I'm assuming this comes with even more heightened health and safety measures.

I also hope this makes basketball even more of a reality/possibility.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
The good thing is there reallys only been a couple weeks since the last practice, and there should be about 30 days until the first game. My hope is they retool the schedule (but only because ours was hard). At the end of the day, I just want Illinois football. Of course, I'm assuming this comes with even more heightened health and safety measures.

I also hope this makes basketball even more of a reality/possibility.
So, will the NCAA attempt bowl games? Figuring that the B1G would be ending a couple of weeks later, due to starting 5 weeks later, that could cause ANOTHER problem.

Wait, it’s back on? I’ve been seeing a lot of talk/articles about Trump pressuring Warren but that was it. And the response was that it was still undecided.

LJ22

Chicago, IL
Iowa votes no on postponement....and then has to pause workouts due to an increase in covid positives.

Okay then.

illini80

Forgottonia
Iowa votes no on postponement....and then has to pause workouts due to an increase in covid positives.

Okay then.
I read that but it wasn’t clear if it was a team or campus issue.

Perhaps President Trump will be more effective exerting influence over the Big Ten conference commissioner than he was managing the pandemic?

Doubtful.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Had a very productive conversation with Kevin Warren, Commissioner of the Big Ten Conference, about immediately starting up Big Ten football. Would be good (great!) for everyone - Players, Fans, Country. On the one yard line!
11:18 AM · Sep 1, 2020

Perhaps President Trump will be more effective exerting influence over the Big Ten conference commissioner than he was managing the pandemic?

Doubtful.
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Had a very productive conversation with Kevin Warren, Commissioner of the Big Ten Conference, about immediately starting up Big Ten football. Would be good (great!) for everyone - Players, Fans, Country. On the one yard line!
11:18 AM · Sep 1, 2020
If Trump says it's on the one yard line then there wont be a season at all.

Deleted member 716187

D
Just remember that there are actually two one yard lines on a football field. He could just be wrong about which one we're at.
Yeah, I'm sure we are on the 1 yard line backed up to our own endzone on 4th and 21

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
Just remember that there are actually two one yard lines on a football field. He could just be wrong about which one we're at.
Let's look on the bright side:

Perhaps it's 1st and goal, a yard away from a TD for the opposition, and the four downs commence immediately following Terry Hawthorne's heroic tackle of Roy Roundtree. There will be much stoppage of play and reviewing of film during the intervening four downs. We will all age perceptibly and our livers will enlarge. And then the Illini will drive 99-yards for a TD.

Last edited:

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Whole campus is on a 2 week quarantine. Can go to classes and get food, but no social gatherings. Those in violation, $750 fine and sent home. :hurl:

Whole campus is on a 2 week quarantine. Can go to classes and get food, but no social gatherings. Those in violation, $750 fine and sent home. :hurl:
Should be interesting. Hundreds of our athletes were out protesting on the streets of Champaign on Monday. Coaches and athletic administrators too. Most masked, some not. Virtually none socially distanced. This fine wasn't in effect then but the number of positive test had skyrocketed by that time. https://www.news-gazette.com/corona...cle_b718cdad-9bc0-5d4c-91f8-87ed23e774a5.html

illini80

Forgottonia
You could be right, but considering the fact that almost every college campus, including the Illini, are having a surge right now it would seem like quite a leap to reverse a decision made a few weeks ago when things were much calmer.

I still say I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m not even opposed to it. I just can’t imagine how they will defend that position when they couldn't defend their last one.

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
according to some on twitter, illinois is one of several holdouts on restarting. B1G may move forward even if 3-4 schools are out for fall football

Status
Not open for further replies.