Illini Football & CFB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
I’ve heard there is an NCAA mandated 6 week practice time frame before games could be played. Does anyone know for sure if that is correct?

Deleted member 29907

D
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...pt-19-postponed-coronavirus-issues-blacksburg

I'd be very surprised given the very thin line being walked in College football right now. Postponements are happing.

I’ve seen a few postponements but more games have happened than postponements so far. (At least from the schools that planned to play this fall)

9 games in week 1 happened, and one so far in week 2 with 5 currently happening and 14 more scheduled.

The B1G HAS to be looking into ways to make this thing happen.

If massive outbreaks happen, and other conferences shut down their season, no worries. Shelve any “fall” plans and go back the winter plan.

But if football is largely played this fall, with no major outbreaks, it’s going to look like the B1G was overly cautious and using inaccurate data to make its decisions. Or that it couldn’t implement a plan to make this work. Or that it didn’t trust athletes to do the right thing (for the most part anyway)

No matter what, it’ll be bad for the conference if the rest of the college football world found a a way and the premier universities of the B1G couldn’t/wouldn’t.

Their best play is to float news out there that they are having medical experts figure out how to start this thing in the fall. Maybe it’s all postering to make themselves look like they are trying (and secretly still hoping the rest of college football will follow their lead eventually) or maybe they are legitimately trying. (And if things go well, they implement the plan)

I guess we will see.

Deleted member 29907

D
I’ve seen a few postponements but more games have happened than postponements so far. (At least from the schools that planned to play this fall)

9 games in week 1 happened, and one so far in week 2 with 5 currently happening and 14 more scheduled.

If massive outbreaks happen, and other conferences shut down their season, no worries. Shelve any “fall” plans and go back the winter plan.

But if football is largely played this fall, with no major outbreaks, it’s going to look like the B1G was overly cautious and using inaccurate data to make its decisions. Or that it couldn’t implement a plan to make this work. Or that it didn’t trust athletes to do the right thing (for the most part anyway)

No matter what, it’ll be bad for the conference if the rest of the college football world found a a way and the premier universities of the B1G couldn’t/wouldn’t.

Their best play is to float news out there that they are having medical experts figure out how to start this thing in the fall. Maybe it’s all postering to make themselves look like they are trying (and secretly still hoping the rest of college football will follow their lead eventually) or maybe they are legitimately trying. (And if things go well, they implement the plan)

I guess we will see.
Time will tell - but the best case environment was prior to starting play and there are some worrisome signs - let's hope it works out for everyone involved. For me, its Go Hokies in the Fall and Go Illini hopefully later on or early spring.

Twitter now reporting that big 10 may begin as early as October 17 in order to be a part of the football playoffs. Once again, Big Ten considered itself more important than actually true. No one follows the Big Ten. The snobs were wrong. The other conferences played football and the Big Ten didn’t. They were wrong, and now they are trying to catch up.

While I’m for playing, I am SO curious what piece of info may have changed to potentially have us play in the fall.

Did their understanding of the myocarditis info change? Did they realize they can check for and hold out a player that does develop it? Did money/pressure get in the way? Did Trump really have an effect? (Doubtful...probably the opposite)

What a crazy world we live in.

JJB

Chicago, IL
While I’m for playing, I am SO curious what piece of info may have changed to potentially have us play in the fall.

Did their understanding of the myocarditis info change? Did they realize they can check for and hold out a player that does develop it? Did money/pressure get in the way? Did Trump really have an effect? (Doubtful...probably the opposite)

What a crazy world we live in.

I doubt it was any one singular thing that caused the change; but rather the totality of factors: enhanced testing options, better understanding of COVID and myocarditis risks, outside political pressure, internal membership pressure, the need to "keep up with the Joneses" (SEC/Big 12/ACC), and probably just getting comfortable now that the first couple of weeks with students on campus have passed.

I doubt it was any one singular thing that caused the change; but rather the totality of factors: enhanced testing options, better understanding of COVID and myocarditis risks, outside political pressure, internal membership pressure, the need to "keep up with the Joneses" (SEC/Big 12/ACC), and probably just getting comfortable now that the first couple of weeks with students on campus have passed.

I think your spot on with the “getting comfortable” part.

In my opinion, the first step simply had to be taken. Nobody WANTS to be that guinea pig with COVID...but sometimes the stakes are too great.

Now that a first step has been taken by many schools/football teams, we shall see where it goes.

The B1G will either be seen as a follower (if they decide to start again in the fall), a genius (if they continue the path to spring ball and the current fall season is canceled due to outbreaks), or a fool (if they continue to spring ball but the fall season happens in its entirety without them).

Hopefully, it doesn’t backfire if they do vote for fall ball.

I like that the chair of the scheduling committee said his team could be ready in three weeks. The teams had some practices before the postponement, have they been practicing at all since?

Pretty comical mask protocol in the games I saw. Officials not within 15 yards of anyone put their face coverings up (they didn't look like anything that would actually filter the air anyway) but then pull them down when explaining a ruling to a coach two feet away.

The good thing is, even if we play, all eligibility is preserved. This year basically doesn’t count.

So for those that want to be done with college football after this year (for whatever reason...draft, family, health, done with school...etc) they can show their stuff.

For those that have the luxury of taking advantage of that extra scholarship year, they are covered as well.

altenberger22

South Carolina

I guess we will see.
I'm a political moderate and I tend to sit on the fence with regard to the NCAA playing football this fall. At the same time, I don't really want the Illini (and Big 10) to get left out of the party if everyone else plays and participates. As such, I've spent the last hour catching up on college football news over the past 48 hours, including the pending Big 10 vote by the Presidents/Chancellors. It was very interesting reading. In all that I saw and read, the sentence below was the ONE thing that bothered me......

"If massive outbreaks happen, and other conferences shut down their season, no worries. Shelve any “fall” plans and go back the winter plan."

Really? NO WORRIES? I don't think we can say NO WORRIES after watching what happened in metro NYC and various other hot spots this past spring. I believe the university decision makers are trying to keep things safe for their students and faculty, and don't want to walk into a hornets nest and be responsible for loss of life and/or severe illness. I trust their judgement, regardless of how the Big 10 votes.

I'm a political moderate and I tend to sit on the fence with regard to the NCAA playing football this fall. At the same time, I don't really want the Illini (and Big 10) to get left out of the party if everyone else plays and participates. As such, I've spent the last hour catching up on college football news over the past 48 hours, including the pending Big 10 vote by the Presidents/Chancellors. It was very interesting reading. In all that I saw and read, the sentence below was the ONE thing that bothered me......

"If massive outbreaks happen, and other conferences shut down their season, no worries. Shelve any “fall” plans and go back the winter plan."

Really? NO WORRIES? I don't think we can say NO WORRIES after watching what happened in metro NYC and various other hot spots this past spring. I believe the university decision makers are trying to keep things safe for their students and faculty, and don't want to walk into a hornets nest and be responsible for loss of life and/or severe illness. I trust their judgement, regardless of how the Big 10 votes.

No worries towards executing a “fall ball” plan.

Not no worries that “outbreaks happened” and the potential damage that could ensue.

Status
Not open for further replies.