Illini Golf 2018-2019

Not a great day for sure but whoever set this golf course up deserves some blame. I don’t know what’s going on but this course is eating everyone up. It should be set up so even par is a good score not the lowest round of the day. Be interesting to see what some of the top ranked teams can do.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Just a GodAwful day for our kids. We shot +28 as a team with no one shooting below 77. One girls shot a 90.
2 observations, 1, it appears that the worse ranked teams went first (makes sense). 2, all the teams that have made it to the back nine are double digit black numbers.

Vanderbilt is ranked 9th in the country. They started on the back 9 and they have played 9 holes and they are 12 over par. The back 9 is destroying everyone.

Not a great day for sure but whoever set this golf course up deserves some blame. I don’t know what’s going on but this course is eating everyone up. It should be set up so even par is a good score not the lowest round of the day. Be interesting to see what some of the top ranked teams can do.
Can't believe that on the 9th hole, a 264 yard par 4, we had 4 bogies and a double. I know it's uphill, but it's 264! That's a killer.

They are currently in 20th, but only 10 shots off the leaders in the clubhouse. The course is destroying everyone. 9th-ranked Florida state is already at +17 and they've played less than seven holes.

I’ll take a guess at the 8th spot being about +20 after round 1. They will have some serious work to do but not all hope is lost.

Is the weather a factor in Fayetteville? Got to check NWS.

I haven't heard any mention of the weather. I guess it's just a tough course.

They said in 2015 the leading team after stroke play was +40 and +60 was the cutoff for match play. It looks like this course is having a similar effect on the scores.

Deleted member 645583

D
National Weather Service says showers and thunderstorms in Fayetteville area tomorrow, mid-70s. Could be hairy for golfers combined with the apparent difficulty of the course.

Hang in there, Illini.

Yep, Bryan has an injury, according to WCIA-TV. Where is that? Springfield?

I think he was included in team victory photo after regional win. Nice touch of class.

Deleted member 645583

D
Getting lazy in my old age. Looked it up: WCIA is Champaign! Call letters must mean Champaign- Illlinois-Area, I guess. Anyway, sportscaster did a nice job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 645583

D
No, sounds like CI in WCIA is Central Illinois.

Have a great weekend all, and let's hope Illini get it done tomorrow.

Good night and good luck: Edward R. Murrow.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Illini women start today delayed at NCAA’s while under a tornado watch in Arkansas...

Deleted member 645583

D
Thought it might be hairy. Illini are in 16th place without hitting a shot! This break in the action just might be a good thing - a time for Coach Slone to rally her troops.

GO ILLINI!

Thought it might be hairy. Illini are in 16th place without hitting a shot! This break in the action just might be a good thing - a time for Coach Slone to rally her troops.

GO ILLINI!
Is it still storming? Doesn't look like they are back on the course yet.

Pretty solid round for the women. They moved up to 14th, but they have to make up nine shots to qualify for match play. That will be a very difficult task.

Purdue and Northwestern currently in 7th and 8th, so good showing by B1G so far.

Really great showing for the women for their first time at nationals. They are the leaders in the clubhouse from the morning wave at +41, beating #5 Kent State, #8 Vanderbilt, #9 Florida State, #11 Florida, #15 UCLA and #17 Virginia, among others.

It looks like they will probably finish in 11th and miss match play, unless some teams ahead of them completely collapse. But it's always fun to be in the clubhouse and watch the teams ahead of you drop down.

The two freshmen both finished at -3 for their final round today, so that's a great sign for the future of the program.

Last edited:
With the round over, they’re presently in a tie for twelfth at +41. With the course the way it is, a couple of teams will likely drop below them, so they’ll probably end up around tenth. That’s not enough to make the match play, but a very good showing, particularly after the first day.

Deleted member 645583

D
Yes, fine showing for Illini. Congratulations! Keep building your program, Coach Slone.

I don't wish any golf team ill, but I hope some leaders collapse so Illinois can sneak in to match play. Don't think it will happen, though. Fine.

Golf Channel just congratulated Illini on a fine first-ever NCAA appearance.What a fine gesture.

I'm really not on the Illinois payroll; but check the women out at Medinah in October; it's really a fine place.

Sincerely,

Larry Fine

P.S. Blessings looks tough. All those slopes, from what I've seen on Golf Channel coverage so far.

I nearly gave up golf after playing Lick Creek (?) in Pekin once way back when. Severe slopiosity..

Last edited by a moderator:
Really great showing for the women for their first time at nationals. They are the leaders in the clubhouse from the morning wave at +41, beating #5 Kent State, #8 Vanderbilt, #9 Florida State, #11 Florida, #15 UCLA and #17 Virginia, among others.

It looks like they will probably finish in 11th and miss match play, unless some teams ahead of them completely collapse. But it's always fun to be in the clubhouse and watch the teams ahead of you drop down.

The two freshmen both finished at -3 for their final round today, so that's a great sign for the future of the program.

They actually started three freshmen but the third was +16. Since we lose only one senior, we should expect a return to the tourney next year.

They're in a weather delay now. Illini at +41 would need three teams to equal or fall below them. Auburn is at +32 and Northwestern and Purdue are at +33. Each is roughly halfway through their round. Dropping eight or nine strokes on the back nine is not impossible given what we've seen, though having all three teams do so seems unlikely. Plus, it's hard to figure what effect, if any, the delay might have.

It has become very interesting, now. Illini moved into 9th place, passing Northwestern and Purdue. That just leaves Auburn keeping them out of match play. However, Auburn has been going the wrong direction of late. They were up to +37, but have dropped a couple strokes to move back up to +35.

Reportedly, the conditions have gotten easier after the delay, due to softer greens and the wind dying down. They might be enough to keep Auburn in 8th.

It seems very unlikely that any teams behind Illinois right now will pass them up. It also is extremely unlikely that any of the seven teams in front of Auburn will drop below Illinois. So at this point, the Illinois women's golf team will either finish 8th or 9th in the nation, with obviously a chance to move up from there if they qualify for match play.

Last edited:

Konnie

Western Suburbs
If today' Illinois +13 score would have just been 5 strokes lower Illinios would definitely be in.