• John Groce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brad Underwood

Votes: 41 25.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WINT

Kewanee, IL
35-13. And recruited the team that won 25 straight.

Self and Kruger are standouts IMO. I went with Kruger, as I think his teams are fun to watch. He's got final fours at 2 different schools, EEs at 3 different schools, and even though he didn't do that at Illinois, he set the stage nicely for Self. Even his last place Illini team of freshman almost won the BIG tournament that year.

After the late 60's and early 70's problems with the mens basketball program, I think Lou Henson did more to get Illini basketball back than any of the other coaches mentioned.....Lou was loyal to the university and the program....he and his wife were and still are class acts....have we had better recruiting coaches...maybe....have we had better X and O's coaches.....probably.....but getting the program back to national prominence ....it's gotta be Lou.....heck the orange blazer alone should easily put him in the top spot

Lou is the best we have had hands now.
Hands down? By what metric do you rate Lou above Harry? Harry had a better winning % (.678 vs. .654), more B10 titles (4-1) and more final fours (3-1). Harry coached Illinois for 20 years vs. Lou's 21.

Hands down? By what metric do you rate Lou above Harry? Harry had a better winning % (.678 vs. .654), more B10 titles (4-1) and more final fours (3-1). Harry coached Illinois for 20 years vs. Lou's 21.

My apologies. Didn't quite go back that far...didn't mean to offend you

No problem. This is a good place to share information.

Harry and Lou are big reasons Illinois is #11(12?) of all-time top college basketball programs.

Side note, Harry was a phenomenal coach at Champaign high school prior to the Illini years.

GrayGhost77

Centennial, CO
I voted Lon, and not just because he was the one who was coach during most of my time in school. Those were glory years, though. He put us back on the map, gave us players like Frankie, Cookie, Sergio, Lucas Johnson, and Arch, and was an excellent X's and O's coach. He set the stage for the Self and early Weber years that followed.

Harry and Lou are big reasons Illinois is #11(12?) of all-time top college basketball programs.

Side note, Harry was a phenomenal coach at Champaign high school prior to the Illini years.
Your profile pic looks like Harv Schmidt. Harv played on some very strong teams under Harry.

Your profile pic looks like Harv Schmidt. Harv played on some very strong teams under Harry.

Yes, it's Harv, probably at a post-game presser. I'm guessing the cigarette and pained expression is from trying to explain another loss.

I have always believed that BS is and was a far better recruiter than a developmental / strategic coach. Given the high level of talent that he has had over the years I am surprised he hasn't done more both in terms of the tournament and stocking the NBA.

I'm sure this subject won't be controversial at all. It is kind of unfair though considering Underwood didn't have a chance to show what he could do with his team in the NCAA tournament this past season. I think he's proven to be a better recruiter than Weber and Groce. I also think there were games that could have turned out differently had we had Dosunmu. That said it was unfortunate what happened with Weber. As bad as things ended with him, he did lead Illinois to a Championship game. You can't deny that. Groce well....sometimes a job is just too much. He's a better fit at a mid major.

BU is smart enough to surround himself with people with complementary abilities and then listen to them. He is probably not the greatest recruiter or the greatest X and o guy but he is an excellent manager. He has built a staff to compete and we hope win at the highest level. We did win!

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
I honestly saw the title of this post and my first thought was Underwood took another job or was canned.

Sadly, we've moved down that list in recent years. 14th now.

That

That's changing. I picked Underwood because I believe that when he retires he will be known as Illinois greatest basketball coach.

Hoping that's the case...the arrow is definitely pointing up right now.....just hope the 20-21 season is played entirely without interruption.....we seem to have some momentum going with the program right now....let's get a full season in this coming year and hopefully reap the benefits!