Illini in the 2018 Maui Invitational

38e82b136f1c3da6ea5fd7e650890d6c.jpg

Looks like it could be another Bruce Pearl run in.

Here's hoping that Auburn doesn't improve (like everyone is predicting they will) and gets embarrassed in this event.

Could also be interesting if Deon is doing commentary for that game.

We should have a talented team that year.
Sr. Finke, Black, JCL, DJW, AJ
Jr. TJL, Kipper
So. Tilmon, Damonte, Frazier, Pickett, any anyone else we may add yet.
Fr. Finke? Perhaps.

It is really a high profile, high power field. Fantastic tournament to play in.

That might be the most stacked field in the past 5+ years. Can't wait. If things go as planned, we should be a top 15 preseason team too.

If things go as planned, we should be a top 15 preseason team too.

Doubtful. If we have a successful season this year, it'll be because of Hill, Abrams, and Thorne. Unless we get Wilkes and end up in the Sweet 16 this year, everyone should expect a drop off in talent. We might receive votes but the only respect that we're getting at all right now is because of Hill so him graduating will be huge when it comes to preseason rankings.

Doesn't Chaminade play in that tourney every year? Wonder why they're not listed.

The 2018 event represents the first time in Tournament history that eight Division I teams take the floor on Maui, a format which will continue in the following alternating years (2018, 2020, 2022 and beyond). Chaminade, which has hosted the Tournament since its founding and produced national headlines following upset wins, will continue to host and compete in the Opening Round on the mainland during those years. For 2019 and the following alternating years, Chaminade will compete in the Championship Round on Maui.

"This new arrangement expands the reach of Chaminade University, the men's basketball team and our student-athletes," said Chaminade University President, Brother Bernard Ploeger. "Our players will have increased exposure competing on the mainland in some of college basketball's largest arenas and our coaching staff will have an opportunity to extend their recruiting presence, thus amplifying the visibility of the University and our brand."

Maui invite

Firet92

Gurnee, IL
Doesn't Chaminade play in that tourney every year? Wonder why they're not listed.

They'll play in the opening round in 18/20/22 and the championship round in 19/21/23. the opening round is on the mainland and the championship is in hawaii. not sure why that is the case

Edit: WVC beat me to it

Last edited:
Doubtful. If we have a successful season this year, it'll be because of Hill, Abrams, and Thorne. Unless we get Wilkes and end up in the Sweet 16 this year, everyone should expect a drop off in talent. We might receive votes but the only respect that we're getting at all right now is because of Hill so him graduating will be huge when it comes to preseason rankings.

It is not next year, it is two years from now.:thumb:

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Oh man, I've been hoping for this but didn't think it would actually happen! November 2018 should be right around the time I'm finishing my grad work out here, and Maui's a pretty quick hop from the West Coast...

This is a strong statement about expectations for our beloved Illini by people whose money and reputation are dependent on their choices for a competitive field. Nice to hear it from an independent source who isn't just a blogging blowhard.

wow...this tournament is loaded. Good way to see where the Illini stack up

Oh man, I've been hoping for this but didn't think it would actually happen! November 2018 should be right around the time I'm finishing my grad work out here, and Maui's a pretty quick hop from the West Coast...

I'm thinking that would be a pretty sweet trip . . .
Maybe I'll see you there. What a field !