Illini Pro Basketball Thread

Even if he doesn't make a career playing basketball in the NBA or overseas, I could easily see Malcolm on a bench as a coach within a short period of time.

jbmay83

O Fallon
For the old timers on here, I'd compare him to Adrian Dantley. But since there isn't a real post up game any more, he may do better in Europe.

Wasn't sure where to post this, so thought this would be a good place since Malcolm and Brandon have a good relationship. Good to see Brandon is having success and can't wait to see him in the NBA!

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...a-dream?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"While salaries are not disclosed, the top 30 players in the league earn between $1 million and $3 million per season. Most of the players in the league are paid between $5,000 to $10,000 with housing, a car and food often covered."

Huh? $1-3 mil/season, then it drops to $5-10k? That doesn't make sense IMO.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

"While salaries are not disclosed, the top 30 players in the league earn between $1 million and $3 million per season. Most of the players in the league are paid between $5,000 to $10,000 with housing, a car and food often covered."

Huh? $1-3 mil/season, then it drops to $5-10k? That doesn't make sense IMO.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

They cite a quora page, not exactly firm numbers.

Joseph Kerr

Fort Wayne, IN
They cite a quora page, not exactly firm numbers.
American players usually make more and get things like housing a services as it legitimizes their teams. The small amounts are for local players much akin to the old NBA/ABA, baseball leagues etc.

American players usually make more and get things like housing a services as it legitimizes their teams. The small amounts are for local players much akin to the old NBA/ABA, baseball leagues etc.

That's not true. The range is much larger and actually it is just the top players in Euroleague who get the $1M-$3M per year, not just the top players in Turkey. Brandon is not in that group. Most of the top players in Euroleague are non-Americans, this year, the only who American made it to Euroleague first-team selection was Ekpe Udoh of Euroleague Champions Fener. Brandon had a so-so year with Efes, and so did James Augustine who is still playing for one of the best teams (CSKA) even at this late stage in his career. (Augie is one of the few players who was considered top-30, maybe not this past year, but in previous, younger, years).

The days that Americans where just going oversees in Europe and making millions are gone. It is just a myth. The local competition has increased tremendously, evident by the influx of international player in the NBA. You now have to be very good to make it to one of the Euroleague teams, and still not a guarantee that you will make millions.

Joseph Kerr

Fort Wayne, IN
That's not true. The range is much larger and actually it is just the top players in Euroleague who get the $1M-$3M per year, not just the top players in Turkey. Brandon is not in that group. Most of the top players in Euroleague are non-Americans, this year, the only who American made it to Euroleague first-team selection was Ekpe Udoh of Euroleague Champions Fener. Brandon had a so-so year with Efes, and so did James Augustine who is still playing for one of the best teams (CSKA) even at this late stage in his career. (Augie is one of the few players who was considered top-30, maybe not this past year, but in previous, younger, years).

The days that Americans where just going oversees in Europe and making millions are gone. It is just a myth. The local competition has increased tremendously, evident by the influx of international player in the NBA. You now have to be very good to make it to one of the Euroleague teams, and still not a guarantee that you will make millions.
Glad to see you disagree. Now you should go and do some research on salaries of American basketball players oversees. I mean, what do I know considering I only happen to know a few who play overseas and get a lot of perks like housing, food, maids, drivers etc, and these aren't elite basketball players. I say overseas because I didn't limit myself to one league or another. American basketball players and coaches are draws for crowds, but don't let me stop you from believing what you believe.

Glad to see you disagree. Now you should go and do some research on salaries of American basketball players oversees. I mean, what do I know considering I only happen to know a few who play overseas and get a lot of perks like housing, food, maids, drivers etc, and these aren't elite basketball players. I say overseas because I didn't limit myself to one league or another. American basketball players and coaches are draws for crowds, but don't let me stop you from believing what you believe.

LOL... I am extremely familiar with international basketball. The highest 30-40 paid players in Europe (not Turkey) do make $1M-$3M (actually a little more now) but you are wrong that American players make more. Actually if you do some research of your own, out of the highest paid 30-40 players, most are international. The names on the list have slightly changed, but you can see the list of those players as of 2 years ago (as I said James Augustine, who switched to CSKA this year from Khimki, was on the list).

https://www.talkbasket.net/salaries

Furthermore, from the top players, it is a myth that Americans are the best (as far as skills) or highest paid. In Euroleague first-team this year, the top 5 players who received the honors were: Sergio Llull (MVP, Spain), Nando de Colo (France), Bogdan Bogdanović (Serbia), Georgios Printezis (Greece), and Ekpe Udoh (USA). Per my post, only Udoh was American. Additionally, no American has been named MVP in Europe since Anthony Parker won the award in 2005-06. This is 11+ years running now.

As I also said in my post, the range (of pay) is much, much larger and wider, and the article is totally wrong (as was your statement). While the top players (independent of whether they are American or not) do make in excess of $1M, the range of pay for the rest of the players (Americans AND international) is much wider and larger than dropping to $5-10K. Actually, the teams do not differentiate between Americans or not, as you can see from salaries above.

There are a lot of myths about basketball in Europe, some of them proliferated by articles like the one posted on this thread. Americans playing abroad have a wide range of salaries as do international players. A lot of Americans do receive nice perks (housing, car, etc.) but so do a lot of international players having the same ability (teams often pay for their housing and cars). There are also other myths with regards to taxes. There is a proliferated belief that American players earn tax-free money abroad as countries do not require them to play taxes or teams pay their taxes, etc.. European Union tax laws do not allow that. Furthermore, any US tax lawyer and IRS expert can verify that foreign earned income is required to be reported and taxed in the US as well (in excess of what is taxed abroad).

Last edited:

Joseph Kerr

Fort Wayne, IN
I never said once that Americans were the best or even anything about the Euro-league. To support your own facts, you limited "playing overseas" to Euro-league. Making millions overseas, and I assumed overseas meant anywhere you had to cross a sea to get to, includes Russian and Slovakian leagues, as well as the leagues in Iraq. Granted the ones in Iraq only pay as much as $20k a month, so you have to play a few years to make your first million ( I'm sure you made your first much quicker) Going overseas, to most of us old timers was not meant for the good players, it was meant for the ones who still wanted to play basketball and make good money. I don't remember anyone going, f the NBA, I'm going to Europe. That said, there are some Division three players making really good money there, I daresay they have made millions- no not Lebron money, but they continue to play a game they love and make better than the average American slugging away at home. In Russia, they pay really well as they do in China etc. All the rest that you toss in about taxes etc were not in question. One quote from a coach is that having Americans on the team adds valuable role model of basketball behaviors, outside the box thinking, and "stories" of American basketball. So, you can continue to argue with me, but I contend my statements, in the context that I made them are factual. Most of the people playing overseas are relegated to that role because they aren't NBA material. I liken the facts much like how Australia hired American cowboys to work in Australia to bring the heritage and the lore of "Cowboying" to life. Considering a Division 3 player has a free house, maids, a car provided by the company that sponsors his team etc. and earns millions.... I would consider that not a bad life, and not a myth. Again, feel free to believe what you wish, or limit overseas to Europe...

I never said once that Americans were the best or even anything about the Euro-league. To support your own facts, you limited "playing overseas" to Euro-league. Making millions overseas, and I assumed overseas meant anywhere you had to cross a sea to get to, includes Russian and Slovakian leagues, as well as the leagues in Iraq. Granted the ones in Iraq only pay as much as $20k a month, so you have to play a few years to make your first million ( I'm sure you made your first much quicker) Going overseas, to most of us old timers was not meant for the good players, it was meant for the ones who still wanted to play basketball and make good money. I don't remember anyone going, f the NBA, I'm going to Europe. That said, there are some Division three players making really good money there, I daresay they have made millions- no not Lebron money, but they continue to play a game they love and make better than the average American slugging away at home. In Russia, they pay really well as they do in China etc. All the rest that you toss in about taxes etc were not in question. One quote from a coach is that having Americans on the team adds valuable role model of basketball behaviors, outside the box thinking, and "stories" of American basketball. So, you can continue to argue with me, but I contend my statements, in the context that I made them are factual. Most of the people playing overseas are relegated to that role because they aren't NBA material. I liken the facts much like how Australia hired American cowboys to work in Australia to bring the heritage and the lore of "Cowboying" to life. Considering a Division 3 player has a free house, maids, a car provided by the company that sponsors his team etc. and earns millions.... I would consider that not a bad life, and not a myth. Again, feel free to believe what you wish, or limit overseas to Europe...

You are showing your lack of knowledge even more. The article and discussion specifically referred to European basketball, Turkey in particular, and the salaries and ranges there. That is where Brandon plays. The entire Turkey league is part of European basketball with the top 4 teams part of Euroleague (more than any other country): Fenerbahce (the current Euro champion), Efes (Brandon's team), Durussafaka, and Galatasaray. That was the discussion and figures on salaries about.

You further show your lack of knowledge on international basketball, by trying to backtrack so fast in your statement saying that you meant to include other leagues in addition to European leagues, including the "Russian and Slovakian leagues." For your information, both the Russian leagues and Slovakian leagues are part of European basketball. The Russian league actually has some of the highest budgets for both Americans and international players, led by CSKA (the top budget outside the NBA, over $40M), with their top two stars, both international, and among the highest paid in Europe (more than the Americans on the team): Nando De Colo and Milos Teodosic.

So your statement that:

it also wrong in Russia and Slovakia, both part of European basketball. So maybe you just meant Iraq, or Zimbabwe basketball, but that would have nothing to do with the discussion at hand, which referenced salary figures in Turkey, and Brandon's team in Euroleague (Efes).

And yes, I do know because I played and lived in Europe for quite some time. So try again, maybe you now want to state that you just meant Iraq and Zimbabwe, but you are backtracking faster than Bill Self's toupee in a hurricane.

Last edited:
“We seem to lean toward those guys who maybe people have overlooked, who aren’t knuckleheads, and who want to put the work in,” Adam says.

Malcolm to a T.

Same agency that represents Brandon Paul.

Brookslyn

Los Angeles, CA
Looks like Brandon Paul had a good game today! 18 pts and 5 rebounds in 28 minutes... 63% from field and 100% ft. Would be great to see him suit up with a guaranteed contract in regular season... all that hard work!!!!

Malcolm Hill had a few minutes of play also and scored a 3pt basket.

Brookslyn

Los Angeles, CA
Watch the Game Recap video on NBA.com and you can see Brandon's Jam!!!! Woohoo!

I think Egwu is doing alright for himself in New Zealand. Last I heard, he'd put somebody's eye out (this was a while ago).