Illini Pro Basketball Thread

Deleted member 4960

D
Congratulations Brandon Paul! Now we have a couple of guys in the NBA!

Bergs

Austin, Tx
I know have a reason to watch all those spurs games I get in market!

Same here! Maybe I will even take a road trip down to SA to go say hi to him. Maybe even make a sign or bring him some Smitty's bbq or something.

I'm rooting for Brandon to join the long list of Spurs that made people say, "How'd the rest of the League let the Spurs just get this guy for nothing?"

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
BP3 must have created quite a market for himself to get that guaranteed deal.. Those are hard to come by for summer league guys. Awesome to see. Also love how connected he's stayed to the Illini community.

Best organization in the league, he's got a real chance to make an impact!

BP3 must have created quite a market for himself to get that guaranteed deal.. Those are hard to come by for summer league guys. Awesome to see. Also love how connected he's stayed to the Illini community.

Best organization in the league, he's got a real chance to make an impact!

So proud of you Brandon... Go get e'm take it and run with it.

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
Awesome. I always thought he had the athleticism and body to be an NBA player. Glad to see his work ethic has paid off. I hope to catch a Bulls/Spurs game this year to see him play.

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
Good to hear that about Malcolm. Already coming in with high expectations is nice. Still gotta live up to them. I still believe he can play in the NBA, as this is a wonderful opportunity for him to grow and develop.

PBA

The Philippines has pro basketball?

The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) is a men's professional basketball league in the Philippines composed of twelve company-branded franchised teams. It is the first professional basketball league in Asia and is the second oldest continuously existing in the world after the NBA.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Congrats to Malcolm, this is a very good situation for him. They love their basketball over there and they are great people who will treat him like royalty.

The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) is a men's professional basketball league in the Philippines composed of twelve company-branded franchised teams. It is the first professional basketball league in Asia and is the second oldest continuously existing in the world after the NBA.

Doesn't manny pacquiao own/play for one?

I was a bit surprised that he went to the Phillipines. I expected it to pay almost nothing. What I found was surprising. As of 2014, the PBA salary cap is $100k/year. The teams can pay some bonuses. They are not large. e.g. ~$2k for making the playoffs. http://pba.inquirer.net/48252/money-matters

For comparison, the typical EU basketball player makes $65k-$100k/year, post tax. The top EU player makes ~$3.5M/year.

A max PBA contract isn't looking bad given the cost of living difference.

ansj64

Pinoy Illini
Per a reliable source close Malcolm's camp he was compensated very well to play.......(6) figure salary for however many months they play....

Congrats Malcolm!!

A season would be around 3 months duration generally. He will be treated well thats for sure.... hope to get a chance to meet him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk