Illini to play at Western Michigan in 2016

Woodridge, IL
Hopefully when a new AD comes in they'll have enough sense to buy this game out. I certainly don't mind playing MAC teams as long as it is in Champaign. Other games scheduled that were mentioned are Kent State (hopefully at home) and Western Illinois in 2015.

This would also make it seem that in preliminary plans for a move to a 9 game Big Ten schedule that Illinois will play 4 home/5 road conference games in odd numbered years and 5 home/4 road conference games in even numbered years.

Can anyone stop Ron Guenther?

The continued and sustained sabotage of the Illinois football program needs to end -- right now -- before anymore damage can be done.

Enough of this embarrassing Western Michigan nonsense.

Western Michigan is just as it sounds: It's Western Michigan University, located in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Their football stadium is named Waldo Stadium. That about sums it up.

September 3rd? Ah, that's probably the college football season-opener. That's a pretty important moment in any football team's schedule. When you're in the Big Ten: You play your season-opener at home.

When you're in the Big Ten: You don't have your basketball team travel to Western Michigan. When you're in the Big Ten: You don't have your football team travel to Western Michigan.

When you're a charter member of the Big Ten conference, you should have enough pride not to do such a middling school such as Western Michigan any favors. Favors: Year, after year, after year...

Stop the madness.

Last edited:
Im not telling
Off topic...OMG Dan, what are you doing up so late? I thought I was the only one on IL working mids.

Virginia Beach, VA

The continued and sustained sabotage of the Illinois football program needs to end -- right now -- before anymore damage can be done.

Western Michigan is just as it sounds: It's Western Michigan University, located in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Their football stadium is named Waldo Stadium. That about sums it up.

September 3rd? Ah, that's probably the college football season-opener. That's a pretty important moment in any football team's schedule. When you're in the Big Ten: You play your season-opener at home.

When you're in the Big Ten: You don't have your basketball team travel to Western Michigan. When you're in the Big Ten: You don't have your football team travel to Western Michigan.

When you're a charter member of the Big Ten conference, you should have enough pride not to do such a middling school such as Western Michigan any favors. Favors: Year, after year, after year...

Stop the madness.
+1
I don't know what kind of favor or drug deal prompted this bad idea, indefensable. Nonconference road games should be home and away agreements, but with schools from equal/like conferences. wtf is Guenther thinking?

Maybe now we’re one of the cupcakes that gets a big payoff for playing an away game.

5 years is a long time and maybe that will change by then and Western Michigan will be sorry they scheduled us.

If you are the NCAA, and you are tired to the mid major schools whining about the "big boys" refusing to play them at home, what you don't do is get Ohio State to play in Kalamazoo, or Florida to play at La.-Lafayette, you get Illinois to go to Kalamazoo, and Missisippi State to go to La.-Lafayette.

That's just a guess. It makes sense only if other "not top tier" major conference schools are also now scheduling away games at mid majors. Does anyone else know if that is happening elsewhere, or are we carrying the water for the whole NCAA (at Fresno State; at WMU twice).

If you are the NCAA, and you are tired to the mid major schools whining about the "big boys" refusing to play them at home, what you don't do is get Ohio State to play in Kalamazoo, or Florida to play at La.-Lafayette, you get Illinois to go to Kalamazoo, and Missisippi State to go to La.-Lafayette.

That's just a guess. It makes sense only if other "not top tier" major conference schools are also now scheduling away games at mid majors. Does anyone else know if that is happening elsewhere, or are we carrying the water for the whole NCAA (at Fresno State; at WMU twice).

Good theory. We all know Guenther bends over backwards to please the NCAA. Maybe this is his parting attempt to land a soft NCAA job when he retires—hmmmmmmmm.

Illini Foot Soldier
Why Why Why?!? I thought that RG was leaving, why is he scheduling games?

I don't think that the NCAA cares one way or the other, its more the mid-majors and BCS opponents that care about the major conferences playing away games at smaller schools.

Last edited:
Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry, but the senile, soon-to-retire AD should NOT be allowed to schedule important football games that will take place 5 YEARS after he leaves. :frustrated:

Ridiculous.

I went to the basketball game at Western Michigan this past November and saw their "stadium". Don't worry if you aren't one of the 30,000 people that have tickets to the game. It seemed like there were good sight lines from the chain link fence along the street.
:tsk:

WTF! Guenther must have noticed that the football program was trending upward so he had to act quickly to kill momentum. Guenther please just go away. You have beaten us all into submission, so just go.

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
I'm not sure I agree with most of these posts. For the "Detroit Debacle" we received 2 home games at MS in return. If we get something similar for this, I have no problem with it. Even if it's the 1st game of the season, it beats losing to Mizzou every year. So - 2 for 1 is OK with me.

:hand:

Cut this sh*t out RIGHT now. We want to become a big time football program?! Or even a big time BASKETBALL program now adays?! Here's how not to start:

- Schedule road games vs. mid-major teams
- Don't advertise in your state's biggest metropolitan area where you have significantly more fans than any other team; instead, let the only other BCS team in the state run ads there while you criticize the area's media
- Focus on non-revenue sports
- Keep coaches after they have worn out their welcome (don't freak out Webermen, I'm mostly talking about Turner)

RG has conquered this list with flying colors.

Ormond Beach
The only way this makes any sense to get scheduled is that Guenther might have a conflict of interest regarding someone connected to WMU. A buddy - network connection - favor? Doesn't Guenther realize how asinine it is to play a mid-major on the road? Of course he did this in the 11th hour of his command so fallout wouldn't affect him much.

Ormond Beach
Update

The contracts with Western Michigan were signed in August, 2010. Remember, Western Michigan plays here in 2011 and 2012, then Illinois returns the game in 2016. I think 2-for-1 deals with the MAC are going to be part of the future for the Big Ten. Especially when the league goes to a nine-game conference schedule. You don't see as many home-and-homes with other BCS leagues. To me, playing at Kalamazoo is better for Illinois than playing at Detroit. And other Big Ten schools have played at MAC stadiums. And Minnesota went to Middle Tennessee. I should point out that Ron Guenther didn't sign the Western Michigan contract, though he certainly approved it.
Asmussen Chat

In an effort to figure out how often a Big Ten team travels to a MAC school, I dived thru the record books to put together these Big Ten vs the MAC fun facts-

The conferences have played 387 games. The Big Ten (including Nebraska) leads 328-51-8 (.857)

Illinois has played 16 games (12-4) vs the MAC. 15 games were held at Memorial Stadium, 1 at Detroit.

Western Michigan is 6-30 vs the Big Ten. The Broncos have hosted 1 B1G team in Kalamazoo (Indiana in 2007), had 1 neutral-siter in Detroit vs Illlinois, the rest were on the road.

Here are the Big Ten teams that have played true road games vs MAC opponents recently (post WWII).

Indiana 5
Minnesota 4
Purdue 2
Northwestern 1
Iowa 1

I'm not counting Penn State's 16 games at Temple in Phily because 1) that's a regular, in-state series (40 games) and 2) in all likelihood those were more like Nittany Lion home games.

To sum up, this sort of arrangement is very rare for the B1G, and practically non-existent for the contenders (no idea why Iowa did a home-home with Miami OH in 2001-02).

Indiana 35-6-2 - 1 at WMU, 1 at Toledo, 1 at Temple in 1934, 1 at Central Michigan, 1 at Ball St, 1 at Akron
Iowa 19-2 - 1 at Temple in 1936, neutral-siter at Chicago vs NIU, 1 at Miami OH
Michigan 27-1 - all at home
Michigan State 39-7-2 - 4 games at Temple (all prior to 1943), 1 at Eastern Michigan in 1898
Minnesota 26-4-1 - 1 game at Toledo, 1 game at Ohio, 1 game at Kent St, 1 game at Bowling Green
Nebraska 5-0 - all at home
Northwestern 16-9-1 - 1 bowl game, 1 at Miami OH, 1 neutral-siter at Detroit vs Eastern Michigan
Ohio State 27-1 - 1 neutral-siter in Cleveland vs Toledo, 1 at Akron in 1891
Penn State 54-5-1 - The Temple series (36-3-1, 16 in Phily, 1 in East Rutherford), 1 at Buffalo in 1900
Purdue 38-9-1, 2 games at Toledo, 1 bowl game
Wisconsin 30-3 - 1 neutral-siter in Cleveland vs Bowling Green

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com

Over-Reaction?

I am going to swim upstream versus the opinion on the board.

We signed a contract to play them twice, believe it is 2011 and 12 in MS, and have the third game there. I don't see the problem, go up there and win. Easy drive in September, and as I remember from years back, Kalamazoo is nice town. I prefer it over Fresno or Detroit.

Down here, UTSA, basically a street car college only a few years ago is starting football, this fall, as part of the WAC. By 2013/14, the Road Runners and Coker will have Arizona, Ok St, and Virginia coming here

AI :chief: :illinois:

The only way this makes any sense to get scheduled is that Guenther might have a conflict of interest regarding someone connected to WMU. A buddy - network connection - favor? Doesn't Guenther realize how asinine it is to play a mid-major on the road? Of course he did this in the 11th hour of his command so fallout wouldn't affect him much.
Its either that or the Bill Bidwell of college football at his finest. He is so stinking cheap. From Dan's post the also rans of the big ten are the ones playing the road games against the MAC because they haven't produced enough revenue to pay teams to come in. Consistent with Guenther's MO he thinks small and does everything on the cheap.

Reminds me of the GM in Slapshot. Our guys will probably have to do a fashion show prior to the Western Michigan game as well

:hand:

Cut this sh*t out RIGHT now. We want to become a big time football program?! Or even a big time BASKETBALL program now adays?! Here's how not to start:

- Schedule road games vs. mid-major teams
- Don't advertise in your state's biggest metropolitan area where you have significantly more fans than any other team; instead, let the only other BCS team in the state run ads there while you criticize the area's media
- Focus on non-revenue sports
- Keep coaches after they have worn out their welcome (don't freak out Webermen, I'm mostly talking about Turner)

RG has conquered this list with flying colors.
Well, don't worry about focusing on the non-revenue sports, because he certainly doesn't do that. Many of them are bad, and the few that are good are ignored by RG and became good in most cases by good fortune. Guenther usually only promotes uninspired assistants with no vision to make those programs nationally competitive.

Points 1, 2, and 4 from your list are dead-on, however.