Illini Volleyball 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's going on with Blayke Hranicka? She left the last match hurt, possibly knee injury? They really need her, she's been outstanding so far.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
And lose the 3rd 25-22. We were in every one but couldn't get any runs going long enough to close one out.

I watched the Illini play this afternoon against Missouri State. It was a really good game. MSU took an early 2-0 lead, both being close games. Illini came back and won the next 3, again very close games, to win the match 3-2. I was impressed with the way the Illini played defense with having such length on the court. Usually the more length a team has the slower/lazier they are on defense, trusting their ability to block at the net to win.

I really enjoyed the game but was torn as I work with the Mo State athletes down here in Springfield.

Illinois hangs on to win it 17-15 in the fifth set!

I would think that barring a complete meltdown they are now a lock for the NCAA tourney.

This team is showing more guts than in previous years :thumb:

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
That was a great match tonight, set 5 was incredible back and forth battle.

You know something amazing I noticed while looking at the stats from yesterday's match? Michigan actually has more players on their roster from Illinois than the University of Illinois does.

Three of Michigan's starters yesterday are from Illinois, while UofI only has two Illinois natives on their entire roster. That just demonstrates how terrible of a job Hambly did recruiting Illinois - especially toward the end of his tenure.

Here are other B1G volleyball teams with as many of more Illinois players than the Illini:

Wisconsin: 6
Northwestern: 5
Iowa: 3
Indiana: 3
Minnesota: 2
Michigan State: 2
Penn State: 2

The only team in the B1G that doesn't have at least one player from Illinois is Ohio State, I believe.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
You know something amazing I noticed while looking at the stats from yesterday's match? Michigan actually has more players on their roster from Illinois than the University of Illinois does.

Three of Michigan's starters yesterday are from Illinois, while UofI only has two Illinois natives on their entire roster. That just demonstrates how terrible of a job Hambly did recruiting Illinois - especially toward the end of his tenure.

Here are other B1G volleyball teams with as many of more Illinois players than the Illini:

The only team in the B1G that doesn't have at least one player from Illinois is Ohio State, I believe.

Good dig. Those numbers are telling. Am not suggesting we should feature an all from Illinois roster or anything remotely close, but 2 is ridiculous. Especially, for being a rich volleyball preps state. Hambly really messed up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good dig. Those numbers are telling. Am not suggesting we should feature an all from Illinois roster or anything remotely close, but 2 is ridiculous. Especially, for being a rich volleyball preps state. Hambly really messed up there.

i see what you did there :thumb:

Agree about Illinois talent. As with other sports, you will never lock down the borders. However, with that much talent. The state of Illinois should be your foundation IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Just look at the team that played for the national championship. They had 12 Illinois players on their roster, including both All-Americans, Colleen Ward and Michelle Bartsch.

It's like the basketball program, when Illinois gets most of the best players form their home state they are a powerhouse. The '89 Flyin' Illini, the 2001 and 2005 teams were all made up of almost all Illinois players.

Future is bright

Really high on this team long term. When you consider they have been starting 4 freshmen recently, a new head coach, and they've found themselves just out of the top 25 for most of the season, you've got to feel like we've got an opportunity to build towards something really big here over the next couple of seasons. Their performance last night was uneven, but for the stretches when they were on, they definitely looked like a legit ranked team.

Wow, that's crazy. Good catch. Although to give Hambly some credit, he did a pretty good job with out of state recruiting. Poulter and Bastianelli are likely both All-Americans this year.

Really high on this team long term. When you consider they have been starting 4 freshmen recently, a new head coach, and they've found themselves just out of the top 25 for most of the season, you've got to feel like we've got an opportunity to build towards something really big here over the next couple of seasons. Their performance last night was uneven, but for the stretches when they were on, they definitely looked like a legit ranked team.

Agreed. Next season should be especially exciting, we bring back literally every player on our roster except Donnelly (assuming no transfers).

The program had definitely been on a long downswing under Hambly, but I agree that things are looking up again. Tamas seems to be the right man for the job and the current team is very young and improving.

It's also nice to know that they have one of the top setters in the nation (Diana Brown) waiting to step in when Poulter graduates.

TEYPAY

Springfield
The program had definitely been on a long downswing under Hambly, but I agree that things are looking up again. Tamas seems to be the right man for the job and the current team is very young and improving.

It's also nice to know that they have one of the top setters in the nation (Diana Brown) waiting to step in when Poulter graduates.

I don't follow volleyball that close but long downswing... wasn't there a national championship appearance pretty recently...

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I don't follow volleyball that close but long downswing... wasn't there a national championship appearance pretty recently...

Clearly. I don't follow volleyball much either, but the OP is spot on. He's referring to the program's decline under Hambly post-National finals. Pretty disappointing, IMO.

2011: 32-5/ 16-4 B1G (2nd), National Runner-up
2012: 14-16/ 8-12 B1G (8th), No NCAA tournament
2013: 18-15/ 12-8 B1G (4th), NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014: 26-8/ 16-4 B1G (3rd), NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2015: 21-13/ 10-10 B1G (7th), NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2016: 17-14/ 10-10 B1G (8th), No NCAA tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.