Illini Volleyball 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be an interesting matchup if we happen to face Missouri in the tournament, considering 3 of their starters played for Illinois last year.
I didn't realize they'd be eligible to play for them this year. Looks like Tyanna and Kylie have both had very strong seasons. Annika hasn't been bad either. I dunno if any of them except Tyanna would be in the regular rotation with Illinois this season though.

I didn't realize they'd be eligible to play for them this year. Looks like Tyanna and Kylie have both had very strong seasons. Annika hasn't been bad either. I dunno if any of them except Tyanna would be in the regular rotation with Illinois this season though.

The sit out a year transfer rule doesn't exist in volleyball. That's why Ashlyn Flemming is able to play for us this season.

The sit out a year transfer rule doesn't exist in volleyball. That's why Ashlyn Flemming is able to play for us this season.
Makes perfect sense, I had wondered how she was eligible as well but didn't go far enough to actually research it yet. She's been a solid player too...helps to soften the blow of losing Tyanna for sure.

Mizzou is 18-4 so should make the NCAA tourney. We will likely host the first couple of rounds and there is a chance that they could be assigned to our site since they are a geographical fit. Their schedule hasn't been as tough as ours but they have played three (I think) ranked teams and won two of those.

If Tyanna had not transferred, Ashlyn probably would not have been recruited or if recruited probably would not have transferred to Illinois. Having watched her this year, she is an upgrade over Tyanna's play last year, particularly as the season has progressed and she has adjusted to the program and the BIG. Don't know if Tyanna has improved this year. Would love to see Missouri at Huff in the tournament.

If Tyanna had not transferred, Ashlyn probably would not have been recruited or if recruited probably would not have transferred to Illinois. Having watched her this year, she is an upgrade over Tyanna's play last year, particularly as the season has progressed and she has adjusted to the program and the BIG. Don't know if Tyanna has improved this year. Would love to see Missouri at Huff in the tournament.
I agree with everything you say in this paragraph. The only advantage to Tyanna over Ashlyn is an extra year of eligibility, but this team is losing 2 of its best players after this year so it's better to have the more experienced player (Ashlyn) on the roster this year since there is a real opportunity for this team to go deep in the tournament. At least that's my opinion on the matter.

Great to see them avenge two of their losses this year and get the Wisconsin and Nebraska monkeys off their back!

I think we've got a winner in Tamas. Hopefully, he'll stick around for a long time.

Awesome win! If we win out the last 8 games of the season (very possible with our remaining schedule), that would probably get us a top 4 seed in the tournament which means we would host up until the Final Four.

breadman

Herndon, VA
After getting home from our football game today, checked out BTN to see what was on.
And there you go. Saw that the volleyball team was on and so watched it.
Talk about a well oiled machine!! Very much fun to watch, specially on the road no less.

Awesome win! If we win out the last 8 games of the season (very possible with our remaining schedule), that would probably get us a top 4 seed in the tournament which means we would host up until the Final Four.

Really only two tough B10 games left vs. Purdue and Penn State and both are at home.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
The game last night was the best I've seen the Illini play defense all season. Great digs and great passes to Poulter, so she could do her thing. If they keep playing that well on defense, they can go very, very far in the tourney.

Funny, I was reading about last year's recruiting class and Kylie was the highest rated player of the bunch. Interesting that Cooney and Omazic got the playing time last year. Although I'm sure Kylie was probably stuck behind Quade.

Illinois looks to be setting up recruiting really well also. Not sure where else would be more attractive to Tamas, unless it's going back out to the West coast. Especially if we get a new arena for volleyball and we draw well.

Konnie

Western Suburbs
For the Chicago land volleyball fans, Illinois Volleyball plays Northwestern at the renovated Welsh-Ryan Arena on
11/14/2018 at 7 p.m. Evanston, Ill. (Welsh-Ryan Arena).
Adults $7, Youth $5

The game last night was the best I've seen the Illini play defense all season. Great digs and great passes to Poulter, so she could do her thing. If they keep playing that well on defense, they can go very, very far in the tourney.

Funny, I was reading about last year's recruiting class and Kylie was the highest rated player of the bunch. Interesting that Cooney and Omazic got the playing time last year. Although I'm sure Kylie was probably stuck behind Quade.

Illinois looks to be setting up recruiting really well also. Not sure where else would be more attractive to Tamas, unless it's going back out to the West coast. Especially if we get a new arena for volleyball and we draw well.
I was seeing that as Kylie Bruder, not Kuyava-Deberg. My bad! Yeah, I have no idea why she wasn't getting time, but its awful hard to teach 6'4". Glad they've all landed on their feet, sort of wish it was with a different program though but oh well...

Last edited:

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
For the Chicago land volleyball fans, Illinois Volleyball plays Northwestern at the renovated Welsh-Ryan Arena on
11/14/2018 at 7 p.m. Evanston, Ill. (Welsh-Ryan Arena).
Adults $7, Youth $5

Much appreciated. I will be there!

Really only two tough B10 games left vs. Purdue and Penn State and both are at home.
I hope like crazy we can beat Penn State. They're always a tough matchup for us. I feel pretty good about our chances against Purdue, we seem to match up well with them from watching our road match against them, but I cannot stand Purdue's coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.