Illini Volleyball 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
We live in Evanston, so I took my 5-year old to the match tonight. Team is really playing well - loose and with a ton of confidence. Northwestern is not very good, but that was a complete beatdown. We were clearing the bench at the end of the 3rd set. Jordan Poulter is phenomenal to watch in person. She really keeps the opposing blockers guessing where she's going with each set.

The new Welsh-Ryan arena is pretty nice, though it's lost a bit of it's quirky charm with the remodel. Much nicer seats and no more benches at least. And, as with all NU home games, it was filled with a majority of opposing fans. Pretty decent turnout that was at least 70% orange and blue.

Deleted member 645583

D
Its hard to go too far wrong wishing to meet anyone in the finals. I would take that risk all day and twice on Sunday
I'm not big fan of this sport, but I really support any Illini team. I must watch the volleyballers.

Heck, I was proud of Illini fencing team way back when it was a national power. And I've never fenced - not even stolen goods.

P.S. It's hard for someone 5'8" like me to get into v-ball; I've always had a hard time reaching the top of the net.

Go Illini volleyball! We're proud.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMC999

Not Iowa
This game was not in the Windy City. It was in Evanston. Big difference. #EvanstonsBigTenTeam. 😂

Deleted member 29907

D
I'm not big fan of this sport, but I really support any Illini team. I must watch the volleyballers.

Heck, I was proud of Illini fencing team way back when it was a national power. And I've never fenced - not even stolen goods.

P.S. It's hard for someone 5'8" like me to get into v-ball; I've always had a hard time reaching the top of the net.

Go Illini volleyball! We're proud.
Check out the Libero position. Organized and power volleyball is a great sport. More team oriented than bball now IMO (pass, set, hit), not "give me the ball and I'll take it to the rim or chuck 3s" stuff.

We live in Evanston, so I took my 5-year old to the match tonight. Team is really playing well - loose and with a ton of confidence. Northwestern is not very good, but that was a complete beatdown. We were clearing the bench at the end of the 3rd set. Jordan Poulter is phenomenal to watch in person. She really keeps the opposing blockers guessing where she's going with each set.

The new Welsh-Ryan arena is pretty nice, though it's lost a bit of it's quirky charm with the remodel. Much nicer seats and no more benches at least. And, as with all NU home games, it was filled with a majority of opposing fans. Pretty decent turnout that was at least 70% orange and blue.

My son and I went to the match Wednesday night too. Feels good to watch a team of great athletes beat NW down. I did have some pity for the NW players though. There must have been 100 NW fans and 500 Illinois fans. No fans on one entire side of Welsh-Ryan. Three goofy students as the entire student section at one end of the court. Those girls might not be as good as the Illini, but they still play to the best of their ability and get almost zero fan support.

Regardless of my dive into pity for the kitties, it was great to beat the crap out of them!

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Yeah, I was there on Wednesday too. A lot of orange in the stands. And, yes, it was a beatdown. NU ended the night with a negative hitting %, while we were hovering near .400.

Yeah, I was there on Wednesday too. A lot of orange in the stands. And, yes, it was a beatdown. NU ended the night with a negative hitting %, while we were hovering near .400.
Holy moly! That's brutal.

So we beat Rutgers 3-0. :illinois:

MSU in East Lansing is next up for the #4 ranked Illini.

Illinois RPI dropped from #2 last week to #4 this week after beating Rutgers and Northwestern. Texas passed them as did Minnesota.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Illinois RPI dropped from #2 last week to #4 this week after beating Rutgers and Northwestern. Texas passed them as did Minnesota.

They should hold steady at #4 with wins over Michigan State and Purdue. This will be a tough final week.

I have a bad feeling about whether the NCAA will do the right thing next weekend.

I have a bad feeling about whether the NCAA will do the right thing next weekend.
First, we have to finish out the season. Gotta beat Michigan State and Purdue. Then we can worry about that. Can't get ahead of ourselves just yet...

But I do believe that if things stay as they are and everyone up there wins out, we'll be the #5 overall seed behind BYU, Stanford, Minnesota, and Texas

Wow. Undefeated and top-ranked BYU got swept tonight by LMU (RPI #76) in their final game of the regular season. That's gonna shake up the seeding.

Wow. Undefeated and top-ranked BYU got swept tonight by LMU (RPI #76) in their final game of the regular season. That's gonna shake up the seeding.
Excellent. In my opinion, the only thing keeping them up there was their head to head victory over Stanford and the fact that they were undefeated. I know, that isn't really a hot take. But, their schedule strength and everything else points towards them being more of a team that belongs in the 5-10 range realistically. If they had finished undefeated, I would have understood. Now with the loss, perhaps they'll be seeded more in line with their RPI. Either way, we still have to finish our schedule off with wins.

While being seeded 5th would be a bitter pill, getting sent to BYU to play the current BYU team would be a good consolation prize.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Ilini beat Purdue 3-1! Congrats on a fantastic season - 28-3, 17-3 and sole possession of 2nd place in the Big Ten.

Selection show is tomorrow. We'll see if this was enough to lock down a top-4 national seed.

Ds4984fXQAAnz71.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.