Illini Volleyball 2019

Illinois State is a good team, and it was on the road, but there’s no reason we should be losing to them. I figured there’d be a bit of a drop off this year, but it might be much more than I thought.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Lost 3-1 to UCF this morning. Staring down the barrel of a 2-5 start if they can’t regroup against Marquette tonight. :confused:

Illini get some redemption on the weekend, winning in 5 over #7 Marquette. Came back from down 0-2 again. Marquette is a very good team with road wins over Wisconsin and BYU. At least we know we can hang with top teams when we play well. It’s just a matter of finding consistency.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Illini get some redemption on the weekend, winning in 5 over #7 Marquette. Came back from down 0-2 again. Marquette is a very good team with road wins over Wisconsin and BYU. At least we know we can hang with top teams when we play well. It’s just a matter of finding consistency.

What a weird first few matches it’s been.

Consistency won't come until our lineup stabilizes. Too much flux so far.

exciting game vs. Nebraska. lose 1st 25-22. win 2nd set in nail biter 27-25. 3rd - came from down to take lead ... now trading points at 22 23 24 25 26 and WIN 3rd set 28-26 on the 4th set point!

Deleted member 29907

D
Almost came back from way back to win the 2nd set last night. Could have made the difference in the overall match. Setting needs to get consistent - too many opportunities in that 2nd set to put it away with a kill and what should have been some easy sets just were not there.

Almost came back from way back to win the 2nd set last night. Could have made the difference in the overall match. Setting needs to get consistent - too many opportunities in that 2nd set to put it away with a kill and what should have been some easy sets just were not there.
The second set was there for the taking until Kuper sent the match point serve long.

Deleted member 29907

D
The second set was there for the taking until Kuper sent the match point serve long.
agree - i was actually pleasantly surprised we were getting pretty hard serves in during that stretch. Minny was struggling on receive.

Is Vrankovic injured? Was expecting her to tear it up, but she hasn't played much.
In hers and Beth Prince's absence, though, a nice surprise in Mica Allison as a hitter has emerged. I was pretty impressed with the ferocity on some of her hits in the Minnesota match last week. Not too bad for a young lady who was an all-freshman SEC setter last year for Auburn!

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Team has been close against the B10 elite but can’t quite get over the hump for a signature win yet. Lost a 2-0 lead at Ped State tonight. Had 4 chances to win in 4 but couldn’t put it away. Now 9-9 but the schedule gets easier the rest of the way.

Team has been close against the B10 elite but can’t quite get over the hump for a signature win yet. Lost a 2-0 lead at Ped State tonight. Had 4 chances to win in 4 but couldn’t put it away. Now 9-9 but the schedule gets easier the rest of the way.

Plus, we seem to be getting healthier. Prince was solid last night and Bruna was dressed, even though she didn't play.

I think it's fairly safe to say after being swept at home by Penn State tonight, that for the second time in a row the Illinois volleyball team will miss the NCAA tournament the year after making it to the Final Four

I think it's fairly safe to say after being swept at home by Penn State tonight, that for the second time in a row the Illinois volleyball team will miss the NCAA tournament the year after making it to the Final Four
We'll still make the tourney if we win out. Remaining schedule puts us against second division conference teams. Still, not sure that we can win out. Making the tourney is academic anyway because we don't have the (healthy) talent to advance.