Illini Volleyball 2019

Deleted member 29907

D
I think it's fairly safe to say after being swept at home by Penn State tonight, that for the second time in a row the Illinois volleyball team will miss the NCAA tournament the year after making it to the Final Four
goes without saying but we lost so much in setting from last year.

We'll still make the tourney if we win out. Remaining schedule puts us against second division conference teams. Still, not sure that we can win out. Making the tourney is academic anyway because we don't have the (healthy) talent to advance.

Even with winning out I don't think they make the tourney. Their RPI is not good and beating a bunch of bad team might even make it worse

Nice dominating win at OSU today. Assuming we take care of business in our last two matches (both against Northwestern) we should be pretty safely in the tourney.

Let's hope so. I think they deserve to be in the field

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Nice dominating win at OSU today. Assuming we take care of business in our last two matches (both against Northwestern) we should be pretty safely in the tourney.
From a casual observer, is the team healthy yet? I know that they were not earlier in the year.

From a casual observer, is the team healthy yet? I know that they were not earlier in the year.
No. Prince is seeing only spot duty and Fleming has a torn meniscus but still plays. Bruna has hardly played but I'm not certain if that is still due to injury.

Would be pretty weird if a ranked team didn't make the tournament. Though I think that happened to Purdue a few years ago if I remember correctly.
In volleyball this sort of thing happens sometimes. The dynamics involved in ranking seem to be different in volleyball compared to the sports we typically follow closer.

After this completely uninspiring football loss to Northwestern, I am now expecting our volleyball team to faceplant against Northwestern and cost themselves a tournament bid

SuperMetroid

Evanston
After this completely uninspiring football loss to Northwestern, I am now expecting our volleyball team to faceplant against Northwestern and cost themselves a tournament bid

Face, planted. Lost 3-1 to an NU team that was 4-15 in the Big Ten. What a miserable day. :poop:

Jinxer extraordinaire!

Lots of people upset on the volleytalk forums that Illinois got in over Cal. I'm guessing we were the last team in, or very close to it. But I'll take it! Hope the team can play to the level they're capable of and show that they deserve to be in.

Lots of people upset on the volleytalk forums that Illinois got in over Cal. I'm guessing we were the last team in, or very close to it. But I'll take it! Hope the team can play to the level they're capable of and show that they deserve to be in.
Utah is a very good team. We will need to play very well to beat them.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Microcosm of the season, really: team was very competitive, fighting through lots of adversity but ultimately just not quite able to get over the hump. Sad to see the seniors go out with another tough loss, but thanks to Quade, Welsh, Prince and Fleming for some great memories.