Illini Women's Basketball 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
I'm excited about the future of @IlliniWBB under the leadership of @CoachBollant. #Illini #WeWillWin
https://twitter.com/IlliniAD/status/712717760997015552

CeQVBt8WQAEVKTg.jpg

Konnie

Western Suburbs
I am surprised that Bollant was not replaced but this also seems to imply the lawsuit is without merit. I assume Bollant has two years to turn the program around or he is gone.

Big surprise, but hopefully a good surprise. He was the most highly regarded of the three coaches when MT cleaned house, iirc, and so it is good to hear that the new AD finds him worthy of retention and endorsement.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Color me surprised. I'm sure Whitman did due diligence. Bollant is on the clock (as is Groce).

He does have the most recent recruiting success just not the wins to back them up yet.

This last season the women were not close to being very competitive with most of the teams they played. Hopefully, Bollant can change it around quickly.

If Bollant stays, no chance Groce is going anywhere anytime soon with the disaster that is currently the Women's Basketball team. I watched them play twice this year and I'm pretty sure there's Illinois high school teams that would be competitive with them. Not even joking.

If Bollant stays, no chance Groce is going anywhere anytime soon with the disaster that is currently the Women's Basketball team. I watched them play twice this year and I'm pretty sure there's Illinois high school teams that would be competitive with them. Not even joking.

Too be fair, we lost a ton of key players to transfer after the whole assistant coach debacle last year. This past season was a lost cause before it even started. But if there's not improvement soon Bollant needs to go.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
All in all I think this is the right move, the problems from the previous year are all gone, being short handed from the start (as others have mentioned) I thought that this season would be difficult. With some of the injuries Illinois had only 7-8 scholarship players and a walk-on for many of the games. During a stretch when Alex W. was hurt, they only had one player over 6'. In a few games when Alex and Chatrice got into foul trouble they had to play with five guards, they actually did pretty good but rebounding was a challenge.
The biggest difference from the previous season and this last one that I noticed, was how close this team seemed to be, no one pouting on the bench, everyone being supportive. The core of this team is Freshmen and Sophomores, they are talented, and have four more good recruits coming in next year.
The team was in many of its games at the end of the 3rd quarter, but foul trouble, fatigue and inexperience usually did them in during the fourth quarter. Barring more injuries I think this team will make big strides next year, not for the B1G title but to be at .500 or better.
Matt is a really good coach and he can recruit, the mess from the past year is for the most part over (hopefully). With the players coming back and healthy, the 4 recruits coming in (probably pick up a 5th year transfer) things are looking up. But if the team doesn't improve, well we know what will happen.

Jabber Jabber

Champaign, IL
All in all I think this is the right move, the problems from the previous year are all gone, being short handed from the start (as others have mentioned) I thought that this season would be difficult. With some of the injuries Illinois had only 7-8 scholarship players and a walk-on for many of the games. During a stretch when Alex W. was hurt, they only had one player over 6'. In a few games when Alex and Chatrice got into foul trouble they had to play with five guards, they actually did pretty good but rebounding was a challenge.
The biggest difference from the previous season and this last one that I noticed, was how close this team seemed to be, no one pouting on the bench, everyone being supportive. The core of this team is Freshmen and Sophomores, they are talented, and have four more good recruits coming in next year.
The team was in many of its games at the end of the 3rd quarter, but foul trouble, fatigue and inexperience usually did them in during the fourth quarter. Barring more injuries I think this team will make big strides next year, not for the B1G title but to be at .500 or better.
Matt is a really good coach and he can recruit, the mess from the past year is for the most part over (hopefully). With the players coming back and healthy, the 4 recruits coming in (probably pick up a 5th year transfer) things are looking up. But if the team doesn't improve, well we know what will happen.

Again, while all of this may be true in some sense, all of these things were self-inflicted. I watched a lot of games during the losing streak to see what was going on, and it was clear the team just couldn't defend at all. If they had a lead, it'd disappear because they couldn't defend. But most of the time, they'd fall behind and never be able to catch up because they couldn't defend. I don't know how many games they fell behind in the first quarter and ended up trailing the entire game, never making a serious run.

Bollant's saving trait (much like Groce's) is that he is well-liked and thought of to be a good person by the fans and those around the program. That's fine, but this is a results business. If he wasn't fired for this disaster of a season (including the scandal) he will likely be here a very long time. Improvement is almost a given next year; can't get much worse than 2-16 in the Big Ten.

I wish I could be paid $300,00 to be a nice guy, bottom out at my job, then build it back to where I started.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Again, while all of this may be true in some sense, all of these things were self-inflicted. I watched a lot of games during the losing streak to see what was going on, and it was clear the team just couldn't defend at all. If they had a lead, it'd disappear because they couldn't defend. But most of the time, they'd fall behind and never be able to catch up because they couldn't defend. I don't know how many games they fell behind in the first quarter and ended up trailing the entire game, never making a serious run.

Bollant's saving trait (much like Groce's) is that he is well-liked and thought of to be a good person by the fans and those around the program. That's fine, but this is a results business. If he wasn't fired for this disaster of a season (including the scandal) he will likely be here a very long time. Improvement is almost a given next year; can't get much worse than 2-16 in the Big Ten.

I wish I could be paid $300,00 to be a nice guy, bottom out at my job, then build it back to where I started.

Well said. I expect Whitman is seeking at least 8 conference victories or more to save his job but improving over last year is almost a foregone conclusion, barring transfers.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Chatrice White transferring. Program going from bad to worse.

Konnie

Western Suburbs
Chatrice White transferring. Program going from bad to worse.

Unless Bollant pulls a rabbit out of his hat, the 2016-2017 season will be his last at Illinois.

On the bright side, Whitman's going to have a lot of time to conduct a search.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Brooke is also transferring, she was really playing well at the end of the season. Wow I don't know what to say other than we can be pretty sure whats coming within the next year.

Brooke is also transferring, she was really playing well at the end of the season. Wow I don't know what to say other than we can be pretty sure whats coming within the next year.

I have to think Whitman must be reconsidering his vote of confidence towards Bollant with Brooke and Chatrice transferring. You're talking about the Illini losing some of their best players for the second straight year under this coach and really no improvement. I know that some will say last year was an exception due to all the transfers and such, but it does no good when you can't hold on to your best players to expect anything better. Bollant can recruit, but he is unable to retain. Seems like a nice guy, but I definitely think it's time to move forward and focus on next year as a rebuilding year with a new head coach rather then set the Women's program back another year.

Also for those who may think that he will certainly stay because Groce didn't have his vote of confidence removed, I would say this is an entirely different situation. Groce can at least retain his best players (i.e. JCL, Malcolm, etc.) and there is reason for optimism next season. With Kyley graduating as well as Chatrice and Brooke graduating, I can't see this time performing any better this season then it has the past 3 year which is certainly not good.

It's over for Matt Bollant here. The Chatrice White transfer is the final nail. It's an 11 month coaching search.

Doc I

Warrenville, IL
I read where they signed a guard from the Czech national team. Does anyone have more info?

UI lost by 6 in an exhibition game today. They played Drury University, which is the school that I play baseball at. It's been kinda cool to see the reaction around campus about beating a D-1 team

Wow, this team is looking bad so far. Like, 0-18 in the Big Ten bad. Barring a miracle Bollant is done. It was inevitable after all the transfers in the past couple years. Get a new coach and build from the ground up.

Doc I

Warrenville, IL
Nice win for the women today. They are really young but improving. They can really shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.