Illini Women's Basketball 2019-2020

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
Figured I'd start. Ladies are 2-0 with wins over Chicago State and Holy Cross.

Edit: Dan, could you please fix the spelling. Thanks in advance.

Figured I'd start. Ladies are 2-0 with wins over Chicago State and Holy Cross.

Edit: Dan, could you please fix the spelling. Thanks in advance.
Both games were won without our top returning scorer (Brandi Beasley) and one of the key returning post players (Mackenzie Blazek). Against Chicago State they rolled to a comfortable victory. Holy Cross required a 15 point (maybe 16) comeback.

We graduated an all time great in Alex Wittinger and another leading scorer (Arieal Scott) was going to be a sophomore but left the team for personal reasons. The freshmen have looked good so far, and Petra is finally back after nearly 2 seasons of injuries and looked really solid in the Chicago State game.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Both games were won without our top returning scorer (Brandi Beasley) and one of the key returning post players (Mackenzie Blazek). Against Chicago State they rolled to a comfortable victory. Holy Cross required a 15 point (maybe 16) comeback.

We graduated an all time great in Alex Wittinger and another leading scorer (Arieal Scott) was going to be a sophomore but left the team for personal reasons. The freshmen have looked good so far, and Petra is finally back after nearly 2 seasons of injuries and looked really solid in the Chicago State game.
When are Brandi and Mackenzie supposed to be back?

Illini_1979

Oregon
And as of today they are 5-1. Interesting that 9 of their first 10 games are at SFC. Only road game is at UNC on 12/5.

I don't think they've played any good teams, yet. And their one loss was to Illinois State at the SFC :(

I don't think they've played any good teams, yet. And their one loss was to Illinois State at the SFC :(
The loss to ISU wasn't ideal for sure...but they have looked the part of an improved team from last year. I think they'll be able to win a few conference games...which is a vast improvement. Definitely seem to have more pieces falling into place now...but until UNC and Mizzou I won't know what we have for sure. Eye test says they're overall deeper and improved from the other teams in the Fahey era so far.

The loss to ISU wasn't ideal for sure...but they have looked the part of an improved team from last year. I think they'll be able to win a few conference games...which is a vast improvement. Definitely seem to have more pieces falling into place now...but until UNC and Mizzou I won't know what we have for sure. Eye test says they're overall deeper and improved from the other teams in the Fahey era so far.
Need some bangers up front.

Hiring a coach from D3 not likely to be a good long term move. Maybe she gets up to speed soon, but time is running out.

Need some bangers up front.
I think Kennedi has shown flashes of physical play...but she's only 1 player. She's a freshman so I hope to see her continue to grow and be more physical. Blazek is more physical than Andrews, but she lacks some of the burst and touch that would make her a go-to player. Andrews struggles with physicality and is a streaky shooter...both from 3 pt range and layups. After those 3, I'm not even sure who else plays "up front" which makes this our most shallow area. I guess Robbins is considered a forward but she doesn't really play physical at all. Nancy hasn't played a single minute in her Illini career as far as I can tell so I'm guessing she's not a solid option either.

illinifaninwi I agree that this is nowhere near a tournament caliber team. Lower 1/3 of the Big Ten even. All I'm saying is I think there is more potential here than the past 2-3 years. I have no illusions that this roster is suddenly "good" though. Losing Scott, one of our better recruits in the Fahey era and a solid contributor last year...along with the seniors who graduated, had me concerned that this years team would end up worse than last year. They've played better against most of the bad competition so that's a slight positive...right? LOL

Yup. They're definitely not a very good team. Hopefully we can win the rest of our non-P5 matchups and it'd be nice to play Mizzou close. In the conference, I'd be surprised if they win more than 2 or 3 games. Need more depth and size. Hopefully Fahey can get some bigger (size and numbers) recruiting classes in the near future...

Lots of scoring droughts in the game today...but they managed to pull out a win against a bad Mizzou team. Into B1G season now. Hopefully they can scrap together some wins in conference and gain a little momentum.

0-3 in conference play to date:
Northwestern 77-50
Iowa 108-72
Indiana 83-42

cuillini

San Bernardino, Ca.
This team does not appear to be making any progress. Still not competitive in conference. We may be seeing a coaching change sooner rather than later?

They brought almost no effort last night. One of the first times this year they've been on BTN and it was an absolutely awful performance. Indiana controlled every phase of that game with ease...even when their deep bench was playing.

This team has been pretty bare for a long time...I'm not sure how quick JW will move on to the next coach...but they're a long way from competing in the league.

They brought almost no effort last night. One of the first times this year they've been on BTN and it was an absolutely awful performance. Indiana controlled every phase of that game with ease...even when their deep bench was playing.

This team has been pretty bare for a long time...I'm not sure how quick JW will move on to the next coach...but they're a long way from competing in the league.
Yup, Moren went to her bench early and played every available player at least nine minutes.