Illinois 120, Hampton 71 POSTGAME

About 15 years back, in an important game, we had a point guard named Deron Williams who took only one shot in a game, had like 8 assists and held the other teams leading scorer to half his average. Today Trent did exactly what he was asked to do and did it very well.

Oh, that Williams kid missed the shot.
1574605993148.png

Which game is that?
IOWA?

No post game post can be without nitpicking. Frazier has to be more involved. He's either not being aggressive or he's inadvertently gotten phased out of the offense. If they want him to play the roll of distributor and a facilitator to find shots for others...ok, but it seems to be a waste of a high volume scorer.

Outside of the first half against Arizona....he's picture has been on the backs of some milk cartons.

He's high volume but inefficient. Better to have him as a threat to score but not the primary (or even secondary) threat. We're a better team with him scoring less than he has in the past while helping others score more easily through passing and creating space.

Really liked what I saw out of verdonk and Hamlin's last night.. minus his hanging on the rim tech.. but hey he was excited.. other than that great fame.. Frazier locked in on defense.... overall great game..

Most important thing is we blew them out like we were supposed to. Offense looked good. We pushed tempo and got out in transition more than I can remember this year. Halfcourt ball movement was very good.

I was a little concerned with the number of layups they were able to take. Yes there were many tough finishes (good plays by them) but if they can get to the point where they can take layups, I’m concerned about what high major teams will be able to do. We didn’t force enough tough jump shots for my taste tonight.

Really liked what I saw out of verdonk and Hamlin's last night.. minus his hanging on the rim tech.. but hey he was excited.. other than that great fame.. Frazier locked in on defense.... overall great game..
Hopefully Ben will become more valuable as the season progresses. Is he quick enough to keep up with the 4’s in the BIG? Looks more foul prone to me but can certainly bang with the big boys. Jermaine looks like Samba last year to me. More aggressive but not ready for minutes in prime time.

DaMonte has made a couple of Frank-like moves to the basket just doesn’t do it often enough. If you combined his defense with Alan’s offense, it would be 1andD. I would also like to point out to the posters who said Giorgi couldn’t shoot that he is now shooting 62.5% from three and 56% overall. Kofi shooting 59% and both in double figures in scoring. DaMonte getting the ball to them better than shooting 35% from three. If DaMonte makes the next three he shoots he will be even with Dre and no one is giving him a hard time. :cool:

Hopefully Ben will become more valuable as the season progresses. Is he quick enough to keep up with the 4’s in the BIG? Looks more foul prone to me but can certainly bang with the big boys. Jermaine looks like Samba last year to me. More aggressive but not ready for minutes in prime time.
No Hamlin's not ready for those kind of minutes but think hes already further along than samba was.. and verdonk is a big strong kid who has a nice perimeter shot... hopefully he blossoms in the system.

Illini_1979

Oregon
It looks like there is a Student U game on Tue morning and on Wed morning. It does not list the teams though..
When I select to record the Tuesday Student U game it says that it is Hampton vs. Illinois. I set it to record both the Tuesday and Wednesday games just in case they switch.

When you have two horses on the floor (G and K), the guards may do less scoring and seem less involved. This may change when we start playing stronger competition and G and K encounter stronger defensive players, and there is more inside-back-out passing.

He's high volume but inefficient. Better to have him as a threat to score but not the primary (or even secondary) threat. We're a better team with him scoring less than he has in the past while helping others score more easily through passing and creating space.
40+% (his high volume numbers from last season) from 3 is not inefficient. Since 3s are 1.5x a Kofi dunk that’s effectively 60% shooting.

I think Ilinois basketball is exactly where it needs to be and brad vishnavill keeps whispering in my understand this ear. Illinos basketball is going to explode. In a good way.

40+% (his high volume numbers from last season) from 3 is not inefficient. Since 3s are 1.5x a Kofi dunk that’s effectively 60% shooting.

**inefficient inside the arc. Actually kinda makes my point...we're still better when he's a floor spacer and distributor. You're right, he's a really good 3 point shooter and we need all of that to open up space for Ayo's drives and for G and K to operate inside.