Illinois #19 in AP Poll (Jan. 27th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Andy Katz has us at #9 in his power rankings.
Team of the Week
Illinois: The Illini are tied with Michigan State for first place in the Big Ten after winning road games at Purdue and at Michigan. This has been quite the in-season turnaround for the Illini. Ayo Dosunmu was sensational with a career-high 27 points, including the game-winning shot over Zavier Simpson to beat Michigan. This team could be a real threat to go deep in March/April.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...zs-latest-power-36-mens?utm_campaign=trending

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Andy Katz loves our two Big 10 road wins last week! It's nice having Andy now working for the Big 10 Network. #9!!!!!!

Time to digest and debate the latest Power 36:

1. Baylor (1): The Bears continue to take everyone’s best shot, this time winning at Florida.

2. Gonzaga (2): The 'Zags are laying waste to a much-improved WCC.

3. San Diego State (3): The Aztecs are unblemished and likely going to remain that way for a while.

4. Kansas (4):[/B] The Jayhawks won two games at home, one of which resulted in multi-game suspensions.

5. Florida State (5): The Seminoles are the team to beat in the ACC. Full stop.

6. Seton Hall (6): The Pirates are once again the favorite to win the Big East.

7. Louisville (7): The Cardinals didn’t suffer any hangover after winning at Duke.

8. Dayton (8): The Flyers won at Richmond, the latest challenger in the A-10.

9. Illinois (11): The Illini won at Purdue and at Michigan. That’s a pretty good week.

10. LSU (10): I saw chatter that the Tigers shouldn’t be No. 10. Well, the Tigers remain the only undefeated team in the SEC and they won another road game — this time at Texas.

Six BIG teams in the Top 25 -- Sparty (14), Maryland (15), Iowa (18), Illini (19), PSU (24) and Rutgers (25) -- with tOSU (29) and Hoosiers (30) just outside looking in, and with even Wisky and Purdue still receiving a few votes. Tough, tough league.

Definite potential for shakeups this week in the 10-20 range:
Sparty @ Kohl
WVA @ Texas Tech
Auburn @ UK
Iowa @ Maryland
Illini @ Iowa
Oregon @ Stanford

Just Win Baby.

Last edited:

I'm surprised. I thought we'd be sitting at #17. Especially suprised that we didn't jump Iowa and Auburn.

Iowa is on a 4 game win streak and is in 5th in the conference while Illinois is on a 6 game win streak and is tied for 1st in the B10. The only thing I can think is that Iowa is for some reason being rewarded for beating "ranked" Rutgers and Michigan while Illinois only beat "unranked" Rutgers and Michigan... seems pretty silly.

Auburn managed a Q2 win and Q3 win this week and their Q2 win (at home) got a little dicey towards the end. I though for sure 2 B10 road wins with 4 of our last 6 being Q1 victories would be enough to push us up and over Auburn. I have to think this is some media bias due to their final 4 run last season which is holding them above us still.

I can't really complain about the rest of rankings as it can all be chalked up to Poll Inertia. Teams that needed to win to stay ahead of us all managed to do so.

sacraig

The desert
How soon we forget about life in the polls. We have to take care of our own business but also pay attention to how those ahead of us do. They simply haven't dropped the ball enough yet for us to jump them.

Also consider that the floor has fallen out at Michigan. They've lost 5 of their last 6 including 2 at home. Beating Michigan, even at Michigan, simply doesn't carry the same weight with voters that it would have a month ago. It would help if they righted the ship for the rest of the season.

I'm surprised. I thought we'd be sitting at #17. Especially suprised that we didn't jump Iowa and Auburn.

Iowa is on a 4 game win streak and is in 5th in the conference while Illinois is on a 6 game win streak and is tied for 1st in the B10. The only thing I can think is that Iowa is for some reason being rewarded for beating "ranked" Rutgers and Michigan while Illinois only beat "unranked" Rutgers and Michigan... seems pretty silly.
Look at Iowa's non-conference and look at ours. As much as we fans want to think that it shouldn't matter because it was a month ago and the team is different now, it does matter to voters and to the selection committee.

illinihawk16

Chicago
Look at Iowa's non-conference and look at ours. As much as we fans want to think that it shouldn't matter because it was a month ago and the team is different now, it does matter to voters and to the selection committee.
Agreed. If you look at KenPom, they have 3 top50 wins out of conference. We have none.

Need to beat Iowa to pass them and that will be a tough win. We will not be favored.

Agreed. If you look at KenPom, they have 3 top50 wins out of conference. We have none.
It's easy to forget our best non-conference win is probably against Old Dominion at home. Not exactly impressive.

We'll have to settle this in 2 games then I guess.

Gratifying to say the least after all of our years of angst and frustration to finally be in the polls again, the top 25 mention, the conversation of best of the B1g, and the mere mention of possible 5 stars and a coach that will change and adapt to ANY player moving forward. My momma told me there'd be days like this...

Last edited:

philcon

Plano, TX
We are probably where we should be if you look at the totality of the year. We have no B I G wins (I capitalized BI G because I realize that we won on the road at some tough places but they aren't top 10 competition...Michigan is in the bottom 3 of the B10). Worse yet we have bad losses....Miami and MO come to mind. They both suck. Frankly the Miami game is more irritating even though I hate MO. MO has players from IL that are all p o'd….game of their life...yada. Miami...what excuse do we have for that? Just ball out for the next several games. Before the Mich my goal was for them to go no worse than 3-2over the next five. They got one win. @ Iowa and @ Rutgers are almost for sure losses in my mind....having said that I was shocked Nebraska almost shocked Rut at home. They will be ready for us.I hope that I'm wrong. Take care of home court and I think that they can beat MSU @ home and the rest will take care of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.