Illinois 24, Ball State 21 POSTGAME

james81

North Carolina
I think we did - I don't see how we were given the win. If you adjust (finally) and fight to the end and win - you deserve the win. Ugly, yes.

Completely agree. Our guys never gave up. The game revealed a lot of weaknesses but what did anyone really expect?

blackdog

Champaign
The important thing from this game is we saw some of the young guys making plays. Yes they made mistakes, they're going to do that but they showed us a lot of the potential for the future.

EJ33

San Francisco
Might be a little off topic, but why is Steve Kelly back on the radio?

Glad to hear his voice, but thought he retired.

Boy, I don't know if I ever thought I would be so happy about a win over a MAC team.

Tough losing Kramer. I hope it is not too serious.

Tre Watson with a nice game. Heard Isaiah Gay's name called a lot on the radio. Epstein is as good as advertised. Dudek looking like he hasn't missed a beat. While I didn't expect Crouch to light it up, I thought there would be more big plays with Dudek and Turner in against an inexperienced secondary. I wonder what Turner was thinking when the ball hit him in the helmet(!).

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
My (novice) takeaways:

1. Man, did things look bleak after the Crouch INT
2. For BSU having such a young, inexperienced o-line, really disappointing that it took three quarters for Illinois to generate some pass rush
3. Was a huge win to play all of those freshmen and only have three penalties (let's just ignore the running into the kicker penalty that could-have-been)
4. Freshmen corners were abused, but not sure we should have expected differently
5. Crouch was a mixed bag, Robert is likely right that it will take him some time to work off the rust
6. A lot of questionable coaching decisions (2-pt conversion? FG attempt? Not running some time off the clock before the last TD?)
7. Who is the last Illinois FB player where you felt as excited as when Dudek gets the ball? Benn?
8. Wasn't sure how good Epstein would be, ended up being the difference maker in game one. Probably going to start the next 40+ games.
9. Blake Hayes was a well-spent scholarship, could be an All B1G punter in the near future
10. While the pass rush was nonexistent until the 4th, Oliver looks like a league average DT already
11. Scary thought that Illinois has no pass rush and a secondary taking some serious lumps while learning-on-the-job. Going to be a game or two where the opponent will throw at-will.

Last edited:
I know a win is a win, but I think the playoff committee is going to hold this against us.

At the end of the day....all we look at is the W. But, whew.....when we hit the big boys on the schedule, that secondary is going to get a real lesson. I can't see a lot of wins during the season.

This might be Illinois youngest team ever. Tells me the difference in recruiting from previous years was significant regardless of stars/ranking comparisons. This is the year to watch young talent develop. Can see Lovie and staff building on this class with more talent that fits there system.

EJ33

San Francisco
Best thing about today is Mike Epstein. Very excited about his future.

At the end of the day....all we look at is the W. But, whew.....when we hit the big boys on the schedule, that secondary is going to get a real lesson. I can't see a lot of wins during the season.

Hopefully Dunlap will be back by then. But the D-Line has to help those youngsters by getting consistent pressure

I know everyone is ready to win now ( myself included ) but we wont see todays payoff win until 2 years. These young pups that played today will be a load come the 2019 season. If we can just get through without departures and injuries the football Illini will be back. Recruits have to buy into knowing it is happening. Keep the Tums and Advil close this season.

Dan

Admin
[youtube]2IfrA_vrH4c[/youtube]
[youtube]T7DtO2rstyQ[/youtube]
[YOUTUBE]HR_hVQsebAI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]bHEZH6UvObk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]DQhqDgtG82U[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]6nUw-JdqxZo[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]wyLWCO2FqE4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]pBmoSZtroVA[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]jFhPq0TZQKY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
1. We have some nice skill players
2. Special Teams look solid in all phases
3. Crouch is not Division 1 caliber QB
4. The Tackles were destroyed on the edge all day, although the interior line play was ok
5. A lot of slow feet on the Defensive Line
6. I actually thought the Corners played ok, most of the passing yardage was crossing routes and TEs slipping off the line

the national

the Front Range
whew... I didnt think it was going to be a W. The freshman really dug deep - hop they learned alot of this tight owner.

I am extremely happy with this win and think that this game was better for the freshman than a blow out victory wuld have been because no team, certainly not the Illini, will have the advantage in ever game.

I also just think Ball State is a better team than peoppe realize and at the very least their coaching staff seems ablw to exploit matchups.

I will be more confident when Dunlap gets back into the rotation but I was impressed by a young Defense(really glad that Lovie decide to keep Adams at DB). i questioned the play calling by McGee today we can get away with poor QB play with smart plays. Next week will be the true test to the season.

Also best part of todays game was not seeing Wes Punt as our QB

ILLINIFAN2

Des Moines, IA
Who was suspended for violation of team rules? I couldn't quite make out who Lovie indicated in the video.